Second Pillars of Eternity Expansion to Release in January

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Second Pillars of Eternity Expansion to Release in January

"The White March" to conclude early next year.

Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive have announced a release window for the next content expansion for Pillars of Eternity, "The White March Part 2." The DLC is expected to be available late January 2016.

This expansion will add new quests and abilities, a Barbarian companion character, and bring to conclusion the story began in the first part of "The White March" back in August. The DLC will also raise the game's level cap and introduce a new "Story Time" mode described in a press release as, "letting players experience the incredible narrative of Pillars of Eternity at a faster pace."

Pillars of Eternity is the product of a successful crowdfunding campaign by Obsidian Entertainment in 2012, which raised over $4 million to develop a game which drew design inspiration from classic computer role-playing games such as Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. The game released in March of this year to generally positive reviews, including a rating of 5 stars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/13681-Pillars-of-Eternity-Review#&gid=gallery_3961&pid=1] from The Escapist's Justin Clouse who praised the level of freedom given to the player in crafting the narrative.

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
Lost all interest with this mini-expansion model.

Shame, it was a really good game.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
So what the fuck has Obsidian been up to these days besides expansions for Pillars? They're not working on the new South Park game, they're not working on a Fallout as far as we know. What is their next big project? Are they going to disband?

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Conrad Zimmerman said:
introduce a new "Story Time" mode described in a press release as, "letting players experience the incredible narrative of Pillars of Eternity at a faster pace."
I didn't have any plans to buy PoI any time soon, because the gameplay of old D&D games is incomprehensible to me. I was planning on forcing my way through Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment before I spend any more money on new CRPGs I won't finish.

But this addition of a Story Mode sounds very interesting to me. I'll have to see how it'll work out in practise, but I'm definitely interested.

Robeltu

Sep 19, 2012
Westaway said:
So what the fuck has Obsidian been up to these days besides expansions for Pillars? They're not working on the new South Park game, they're not working on a Fallout as far as we know. What is their next big project? Are they going to disband?
Better be a new Fallout, as much as Fallout 4 was a good game it needs the Obsidian touch.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Robeltu said:
Westaway said:
Better be a new Fallout, as much as Fallout 4 was a good game it needs the Obsidian touch.
I haven't played Fallout 4, tbh it looks like simplified shit. New Vegas is my favorite game though, and seeing as Fallout 4 has sold gangbusters I can see Bethesda hiring Obsidian to make another game in 15 months for the follow up. There's always a silver lining.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Westaway said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyforge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_Warfare_(video_game)

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
"Story Time is sort of the flip side of Path of the Damned. Combat populations are what they are on Normal, but we modify the stats of critters as well as incoming/outgoing damage to heavily favor the player. Some players find even Easy difficulty to be too hard. The modifications are purely procedural and do not require designers to modify existing encounters. It did not take much time to implement." - JE Sawyer, Project Director, Pillars of Eternity

Patch 2.03 made most non-kith enemies immune to almost every debuff or control ability available to players. As a result, "Easy" difficulty is no longer easy. My theory is that "Story Mode" is an "Easier" difficulty to make up for these changes.

It also makes sense that they introduce Meneha the Barbarian along side a lower difficulty setting, since Barbarians have a tough time with the higher difficulty settings since the 2.03 patch.