See Diablo 3 In Action On The PlayStation 3

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
See Diablo 3 In Action On The PlayStation 3

The PlayStation 3 serves as the newest home for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo 3, and we've got the gameplay footage to prove it.

Those of you currently attending the PAX East conference in Boston have the opportunity to be among the first people on the planet to experience the PlayStation 3 version of Diablo 3. Not wanting to neglect its fans too poor, lazy or antisocial to make the trip to the East Coast however, Blizzard Entertainment has just released footage of the game's PS3 incarnation and it's surprisingly attractive.

You'll find the vignette embedded at right, and I urge you to watch the entire thing before you continue. From here on out, it's all subjective impressions, so if you'd like to agree or disagree with my thoughts, I'd prefer you have a point of reference.

So, how does it look? Actually, not bad. Now don't me wrong, I won't claim that this version of Diablo 3 even remotely approaches the aesthetic quality seen on my laptop, but then again that machine cost more than ten times as much as a new PlayStation 3. What's impressive here is that by applying a relatively conservative amount of graphical downgrades, Blizzard's development team was able to create an incarnation of Diablo 3 that seemingly maintains the smooth, solid framerate necessary to keep players from dying repeatedly on the game's higher difficulty levels, where split-second timing and sharp reflexes are the only thing separating you from victory and a quick, one-shot death at the hands of even relatively common foes. When I say it looks "surprisingly good," know that that comes with the disclaimer "for a console game."

As I've yet to play Diablo 3 on the Playstation 3, I'll reserve final judgement until Blizzard sends a copy along, but this video seems promising for those gamers without access to a high-powered computer and a desire to slay the hordes of demonic creatures found in what remains of Sanctuary. Going purely by this clip, it should prove a viable alternative method to enjoy Diablo 3.

Now we just need Blizzard to detail how many of the game's seemingly computer-exclusive features will make the jump to the PlayStation 3. It's hypothetically possible that the game's Real Money Action House could appear in its console incarnation, but I sincerely doubt it. There are simply too many issues found on Sony's machine that would prevent such a thing, on top of all of the problems Blizzard faced in creating the RMAH in the first place. Blizzard, being Blizzard, has pegged this game with a release date of "it'll be done when it's done," so expect more information on the game to emerge whenever Blizzard feels like it.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5mz0RZrtHXk]

New World Fool

Feb 15, 2013
Ooh! I like it! I already had the PC version and loved it, but I was hacked and I can't be arsed going through all the recovery stuff, and I've kinda given up on PC gaming for now, a console Diablo 3 is just what I need. :)

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
The accumulated filth of all their game development and real money auction house tomfoolery will foam up about their waists and all the writers and programmers will look up and shout "Play it!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No, that game sucks."

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
I never got all the hate directed at this game... I mean, I agree that the RMAH was a horrible idea, but beyond that and the always-online requirement, I don't really see any drop in quality from D2.

Anyway, good news for PS3 owners, I guess.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
[...]but then again that machine cost more than ten times as much as a new PlayStation 3[...]

I damn sure hope that's hyperbole. Either that, or you, sir, have been most thoroughly ripped off...

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Diablo 3 coming to PS3 finally! Yay!

Release date: "whenever we damn feel like it." Boo!

Seriously, I was only ever mildly interested in this game to begin with. I'd like to give it a shot, but I'm not going to wait forever, Blizzard.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
It's a solid game, and will likely be made better in many ways by being designed to work natively with a controller. Also, the likely removal of the online store should fix many of the issues that were pretty much tied to it in the PC version. I've spent my time with the game and don't really see any need to get a "new" version of it now, but for those who haven't experienced it for whatever reason it should be worth picking up.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Just because you put the same old shit into a new package doesn't mean I am going to buy it. Fool me once, never again.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Now PS3 owners can experience the disappointment! Hooray! We can all bond over it together.
I'm calling it right now: The Diablo 3 on the PS3 (and later, PS4) will be the version Blizzard puts actual effort into.
Y'know, instead of the money-schilling abortion they shat out to make a quick buck on PC.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Now PS3 owners can experience the disappointment! Hooray! We can all bond over it together.
I'm calling it right now: The Diablo 3 on the PS3 (and later, PS4) will be the version Blizzard puts actual effort into.
Y'know, instead of the money-schilling abortion they shat out to make a quick buck on PC.
I think the gameplay, skill tree and story are gonna be the same. Garbage.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
I think the gameplay, skill tree and story are gonna be the same. Garbage.
Perhaps, but they've already talked about split-screen co-op, and I imagine a fair amount of behind-the-scenes mechanics had to be reworked from the PC version.

And in the likely absence of an Auction House, the entire item system will have to be reworked (I'd say "unfucked"), given that the PC version is balanced entirely around making players grind for shit to buy and sell on the AH.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Whoracle said:
[...]but then again that machine cost more than ten times as much as a new PlayStation 3[...]

I damn sure hope that's hyperbole. Either that, or you, sir, have been most thoroughly ripped off...
If I had built a high-end machine dedicated to gaming, I'd agree.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
You make it sound like it was the framerate that was the culprit for the sluggish controls on the PC while I got the impression it was latency...
Y'know, from being forced to be played online during singleplayer.
Y'know, like what simcity is doing now.
Y'know, the worst idea in gaming history ever.

Not that I'd know for sure. I avoided it like the plague.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Whoracle said:

Laptop and ripped off go hand to hand.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Is the PS3 version always online? If not, I'm thoroughly pissed. The PS3 should not get the superior version of the game when it's in all ways inferior, speaking strictly of specifications. I own one and I have played many great games on it, but I won't respect the artificial limitations of the PC version when those limitation aren't placed on the PS3.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Looks like a blast.
I'll pick it up for cheap and should be a fun romp with a friend in couch co-op.

Also it's cool to see Diablo on the Play Station again. : )

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Let's see, Diablo 3 for 60 bucks or, 4 copies of Torchlight 2 for 60, or 30 on sale.
D3:
Cut down mobs
Hardly any random elements
No build decisions
Armor has bland stats
Bland bosses -1 of them
4 player
Smaller cut down maps

Torchlight 2
Huge mobs
Has random maps & mobs
Interesting bosses
Armor has unique stats to them that make different builds fun
Modable
Has special end game content that makes things interesting
6 Player
Larger maps & more variety in areas

Friends and I still play TL2 and D3 goes completely ignored after only 1.3 playthroughs, constant fear of our accounts getting hacked didn't help us.