See Kirk, Spock, and Gorn Star Trek: The Video Game Screens

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
See Kirk, Spock, and Gorn Star Trek: The Video Game Screens

New screens show the dynamic duo on the Enterprise and elsewhere.

Just about every Trekkie out there knows about the new movie debuting in May, but its videogame tie-in [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117694-Kirk-and-Spock-Fight-Gorn-in-Star-Trek-Game] has received considerably less press. Part of that is no doubt due to its extremely generic title - Star Trek: The Video Game - but as licensed games go, this one looks better than most, promising a robust co-op mode and a story that builds the reboot universe. A slew of new screenshots illustrate the various adventures that Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock will undertake as they fight the savage Gorn.

[gallery=1074]

The most salient feature of the screenshots is the variety of environments and situations in which the two spacefaring heroes will find themselves. Environments range from jagged mountains to vermilion seasides to the hangar bay of the U.S.S. Enterprise itself. The Gorn look considerably more hostile and threatening than their Enterprise [http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/9/9b/Gorn.jpg] counterparts, and a planet called "New Vulcan" will feature prominently in the game.

There's not much to say beyond that. Star Trek: The Video Game will release on April 23, which should give players plenty of time to complete the campaign before Into Darkness hits theaters. Given the quality of the art design and general game concept, I wish I could say that this game will be a surefire success, but damn it, Jim [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVhcB9ucmdg], I'm a journalist, not a fortune-teller.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If history is any indicator, this will crash and burn with enough lens flares to send J.J in to a depression over how few lens flares he used.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Eh, looks like ye olde movie cash grab. I mean, I get the feel that they were really trying, if the multiple scenarios are anything to go by, but the shitty budget and under par tech shows in the screenies

oh well, what can you do

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well this one just might get the worst Star Trek game crown, which isn't easy by the way.
Seriously this just looks awful on all ends we have seen sofar.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well this'll be terrible.
I look forward to seeing the metacritic rage reviews.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Hey people in charge of this kind of thing, have you seen Mass Effect? I hear that sold pretty well. Hm. I wonder if there's some kind of connection between Star Trek and Mass Effect. That sure would be convenient.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
but as licensed games go, this one looks better than most, promising a robust co-op mode and a story that builds the reboot universe.
Oh come now... promising? Movie tie-in games may promise much but they never provide anything other than hollow words and the bitter tears of inevitable disappointment.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Marshall Honorof said:
but as licensed games go, this one looks better than most, promising a robust co-op mode and a story that builds the reboot universe.
Oh come now... promising? Movie tie-in games may promise much but they never provide anything other than hollow words and the bitter tears of inevitable disappointment.
Unless they're made by Rockstar
http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/7b0befbdc4cab2500ffac585b4bff251/http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/shawtybukwyld/thewarriors.jpg
CAAAAANNN YOOOOOOUU DIIIIIIIIIGG IT?

Yeah this one looks sub par. I know graphics aren't everything but the textures look horrible, plus cover based whack a mole gameplay. Yeah I'll stick to STO.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Movie tie-in games CAN be good, but they normally aren't.

I just don't see this game being any good unless it's going the 'before the movie' and 'after the movie' sort of a death.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Those two guys in the background in the 4th screenshot...admirals in the making, definitely.

Who is actually making this game anyway? Consider that a rhetorical question, as I'll probably look it up at some point. Eventually.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
MarsProbe said:
Those two guys in the background in the 4th screenshot...admirals in the making, definitely.

Who is actually making this game anyway? Consider that a rhetorical question, as I'll probably look it up at some point. Eventually.
Saved you the trouble :) It's being developed by Digital Extremes and co-published by Namco and Paramount

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
It's probably not this awesome in reality, but did it look like a Mass Effect clone set in the Star Trek universe to anyone else? I would play the crap out of that if it was any good at all.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
from what I understand it's not a movie tie in game, it's a licensed game with a story independent of the movie.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
So much pessimism! I think it looks pretty good so far. I'm no Trekkie, but if this is available on PC I just might pick it up.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
lithium.jelly said:
So much pessimism! I think it looks pretty good so far. I'm no Trekkie, but if this is available on PC I just might pick it up.
No one would be complaining if this was a brand new ip. The thing is, people know Star Trek and they know it was never action driven. It was always about characters, smart plots, and cultural, ethical and/or social conflicts. It's very depressing to see a fine piece of science fiction turned into dumb action game.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
james.sponge said:
lithium.jelly said:
No one would be complaining if this was a brand new ip. The thing is, people know Star Trek and they know it was never action driven. It was always about characters, smart plots, and cultural, ethical and/or social conflicts. It's very depressing to see a fine piece of science fiction turned into dumb action game.
Well, perhaps that is why I am less pessimistic about this than everyone else. I was watching Star Trek before Next Generation was made, and I remember rather a lot of action. Kirk punching everyone that he couldn't screw, plenty of phaser fire every second episode, it was much more exciting than Next Gen ever was. And TBH, I have never been that impressed by the plots of most episodes of any Star Trek series. It has generally been about what particular last minute twist can save the day. Besides which, it needs to have a bit of an action injection if it is going to make a good game. If they can also capture a few of the small handful of genuinely intelligent moments from the shows it might just turn out to be fun.