See Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in Unreal Engine 4 in this Playable Tech Demo

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
See Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in Unreal Engine 4 in this Playable Tech Demo

If you ever wanted to see The Legend of Zelda running in Unreal Engine 4, this new tech demo makes your dream come true.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time routinely shows up on lists of the best games of all time, but you've never seen it look like this. YouTube user CryZENx [https://www.youtube.com/user/CryZENx/featured] is apparently working to bring the Nintendo classic into Unreal Engine 4, and the channel has the videos to prove it.

The most impressive of these is the one featuring Hyrule Field (the demo can be downloaded here [http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/614429/80.000%20subspecial%20Zelda%20Ocarina%20of%20Time%20by%20CryZENx.rar]), which will be immediately recognizable to fans of the game. In the video below, you can see that Link is running around, executing his familiar moves, and looking pretty darn spiffy while he's doing it.

CryZENx also has a Patreon page [https://www.patreon.com/CryZENx] that includes more videos and links to download other demos, including Kakariko Village and Goron City. You can also find those download links in the descriptions of the YouTube videos.

It's hard to say just how Nintendo might feel about this project, especially considering its history of being less than friendly to fan-made projects. It wouldn't surprise me if the company swooped in and shut this down. That said, it's still going now, and looks pretty cool so far, so fans of Zelda should probably at least watch the video.

[gallery=6601]

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Actually looks great!

Can't wait for Nintendo to fuck this project up.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
Actually looks great!

I know we all would love such a thing, but this isn't public domain, Nintendo have every right to protect their copyright.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
Actually looks great!

^^^^^^^^

Just like how they had a tissy fit and fucked over Project M in every way they could. I haven't forgotten.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Incoming dmca cease and desist. -_- I wish these projects could stay in the shadows long enough to get finished.

You realize, Escapist, writing an article about it helps bring it to Nintendo's attention, right?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ukomba said:
Incoming dmca cease and desist. -_- I wish these projects could stay in the shadows long enough to get finished.

You realize, Escapist, writing an article about it helps bring it to Nintendo's attention, right?
Exactly.

But anyway's this is what I wanted the new Zelda to look like, stylized but not Cel-Shaded.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Pretty big letdown... it just looks so *desolate* and as a world way more uncanny valley than real.
Could've made this in UE3 as well; didn't see any real cool ultra high res stuff.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I don't know why people even try this anymore. Nintendo will wait until they have the whole game done before shutting it down.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
The funny thing is that this project might, might have been fine if he didn't have a Patreon page.

Now, it isn't a matter of "if" he's gonna get a cease and desist, it's a matter of "when."

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
The funny thing is that this project might, might have been fine if he didn't have a Patreon page.

Now, it isn't a matter of "if" he's gonna get a cease and desist, it's a matter of "when."
Yeah, while the argument can be made people aren't paying for the "product" he's making, he's technically being paid to do it, so that could cause some issues.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Even if he was doing it for free, without a Patreon asking for donations, Nintendo could argue that he's causing them to lose money. I'm sure they still make a pretty penny on re-makes of Ocarina of Time, and if people could just get a remake in UE4 for free that could create a problem for Nintendo.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Might just be the lighting being rather flat, or the lack of objects in the game world, but this looks incredibly lifeless. Perhaps the devs should revisit their art direction and make some stylistic choices.
Link also seems to be totally disconnected from the environment, too: the way he moves doesn't convey any sense of weight.

That being said, Nintendo will in all likelihood DMCA this, especially after taking down the incredibly good AM2R.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
hentropy said:
I don't know why people even try this anymore. Nintendo will wait until they have the whole game done before shutting it down.
Or why fans even announce fan games like this even exist before they are done. Just make them on the down low and release them all over the internet, THEN advertise their existence. Let's see Nintendo try to stop a fangame that's already been spread throughout the internet, like Crimson Echoes was. That being said, I figure the real reason fan developers make games like this they know will be C&Ded ASAP is they are simply trying to show off what they can do so game companies will hire them.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
immortalfrieza said:
That being said, I figure the real reason fan developers make games like this they know will be C&Ded ASAP is they are simply trying to show off what they can do so game companies will hire them.
That's a theory, though I'm not sure how eager game companies are to hire people who have a very liberal view of intellectual property.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Why the fuck doesnt nintendo do shit this good? If one person can do it whats the excuse when they have a whole team at their disposal?