See That Avengers 2 Footage Shown During Agents Of Shield Right Here

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
See That Avengers 2 Footage Shown During Agents Of Shield Right Here

It's a truncated version of the sizzle reel from San Diego Comic Con 2014. And it's still awesome.

Let's cut to the chase: In case you missed tonight's episode of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel has kindly released the new Avengers: Age Of Ultron footage premiered in the last five minutes (to make up for last week's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138169-Avengers-Age-Of-Ultron-Trailer-Leaks-A-Week-Early>untimely leak of the new trailer). And here it is, for your convenience!

This is actually a shortened version of the footage shown off last summer at San Diego Comic Con. It features the oft-discussed dinner party scene, as well as a sizzle reel that gives plenty of tiny details - some of which you've already seen in last week's trailer - but few big picture hints. And that's how I like it. The (very reliable) rumor mill has pretty much spoiled the whole movie at this point, but I'm pleased the way the initial marketing for Avengers 2 manages not to give away too much about what, exactly, will happen. Aside from holy crap it looks kind of great, of course.

The footage shown at Comic Con was about 4 minutes (give or take) longer, in case you're curious. The dinner party scene is way heavier on the establishment of the Avengers' relationship to one another, particularly in the way the snippy infighting of the first film has given way to an easygoing friendly rivalry, though with a hint of tensions below the surface. The sizzle reel, also, showed off more stuff as well. For those who want to remain largely unspoiled, I'll refrain from going into details here, but for the rest, you can <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014/12000-Age-of-Ultron-Footage-Was-Almost-The-Best-Of-Hall-H>read our breakdown of the SDCC 2014 footage here.

Meanwhile, soooo, what do we think?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
It's nice to see what I missed. Though I'm not surprised about it, CTV didn't air it up here, and due to federal law any Canadian channel which is simulcast an American show will automatically force you to Toronto's broadcast of it (or which ever station is simulcasting it). It's really annoying for 2 reasons, 1st is that it causes, well, this type of issue to happen (superbowl is the one time of year we bring out the old antenna. Why miss the only reason to watch it?). 2nd is also the fact that it always, and I mean always, forces it to Toronto's broadcast of whatever the show is. As a Montrealer, that's a grave insult.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Zontar said:
It's nice to see what I missed. Though I'm not surprised about it, CTV didn't air it up here, and due to federal law any Canadian channel which is simulcast an American show will automatically force you to Toronto's broadcast of it (or which ever station is simulcasting it). It's really annoying for 2 reasons, 1st is that it causes, well, this type of issue to happen (superbowl is the one time of year we bring out the old antenna. Why miss the only reason to watch it?). 2nd is also the fact that it always, and I mean always, forces it to Toronto's broadcast of whatever the show is. As a Montrealer, that's a grave insult.
Shoot, really? Over on the west coast, I got the ABC feed complete with all the Age of Ultron footage. That's a shame CTV screwed you over out east.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
The look on Thor's face when Cap managed to move the hammer just a tiny bit. PRICELESS!
Yeah, that was a really nice touch.

Here's hoping he actually gets to wield it at some point. Would be an awesome "OH SHIT" moment. Maybe when he ultimately dies (Chris Evans ain't sticking around for too long) he'll take the main bad down with him wielding Mjolnir. How epic would that be?

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
That right there is why, as much as I like DC's stuff, I'll always prefer Marvel's oeuvre. Their heroes are people, poorly written sometimes yes, but still people. Could you see the Justice League sitting down like that in the latest run of movies? Wonder Woman using Batman's grappling hook to snag a beer while Superman and the Martian Manhunter have an arm wrestling contest for a laugh? Hell I'd struggle to picture any DC hero drunk.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Oh yeah, I will definitely be seeing this in theaters as soon as I can. That little scene at the start had more character development than the entirety of the Twilight saga

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The start was great with their banter between each other - they all feel comfortable with each other. This is going to be a great movie, cant wait.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
Can I just say effing "FINALLY!" to having a consistent face of Bruce Banner for two flicks in a row?

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
I like the hinting that Cap IS worthy to wield Mjolnir. Seems to me like the moment it moved, Cap let his grip loose in surprise, because you see him slip up the handle before taking a breath and "trying" again. I feel like the second try was a charade or him doubting himself due to his humble nature. After all, if he was able to lift it, it would probably shatter Thor's morale. Maybe that self doubt that might have kept him from lifting it the second time will disappear later when they're down for the count. Who know, I just like to theorize ;D.

Either way, cool trailer, showing a bit of lighthearted comedy next to the serious stuff. Plus the Hulkbuster! It's hard to keep my hype levels in check now!

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Between Rogers almost lifting Mjolnir, the look on Thor's face when that happened, and Stark and Rhodes using Iron gauntlets to try to lift the hammer it was a pretty amusing and interesting scene. They didn't give us much new footage, but it was damn good.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
10 bucks says Steve knew he could lift once he managed to move it slightly but didn't because he didn't want to embarrass Thor in front of his friends.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Keith K said:
Can I just say effing "FINALLY!" to having a consistent face of Bruce Banner for two flicks in a row?
I still prefer Edward Norton, the new actor just doesn't works for me. First he's not puny, and he doesn't look like a scientist, but most importantly he's just forgettable.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Lillowh said:
I like the hinting that Cap IS worthy to wield Mjolnir. Seems to me like the moment it moved, Cap let his grip loose in surprise, because you see him slip up the handle before taking a breath and "trying" again. I feel like the second try was a charade or him doubting himself due to his humble nature. After all, if he was able to lift it, it would probably shatter Thor's morale. Maybe that self doubt that might have kept him from lifting it the second time will disappear later when they're down for the count. Who know, I just like to theorize ;D.
It seemed to me like he was "almost" worthy, like he's not ready yet, but has the potential. So it shifted, but then when he tried again, it wouldn't budge further.

But the look on Thor's face was priceless.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
ExtraDebit said:
Keith K said:
I still prefer Edward Norton, the new actor just doesn't works for me. First he's not puny, and he doesn't look like a scientist, but most importantly he's just forgettable.
I disagree but won't argue, since that's your opinion. I would have happily taken Norton in Avengers too. I'm just happy they seem to have settled on someone.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Scenes like that opening one are why I love the Marvel movies, and why DC really just doesn't seem to 'get' it.

The marvel movies are not perfect by any means, but they're fun. There's a warmth and realness to their characters that the DC movies so far just, don't have. If the Man of Steel continuity does wind up being the setup for Justice League, could you really see that version of Superman just, sitting down to have a laugh with people?

I really hope that Afleck's Batman can bring some personality to those movies, same with the new Wonder Woman and Khal Aquaman, because it's desperately needed. Like, you can have your serious, brooding introspective heroes, contemplating the nature of their duty, but would it kill you to let one of them smile or crack a joke at least once in the movie? Basically have them talk and act like actual people a bit.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Lillowh said:

Either way, cool trailer, showing a bit of lighthearted comedy next to the serious stuff. Plus the Hulkbuster! It's hard to keep my hype levels in check now!
I agree with your theory. Not certain we will see Cap lift Mjolnir in Avengers: Age of Ultron but it would make a "HOLY SHIT" moment if Cap picks up the hammer during an all-out final battle between the Avengers and Thanos in Avengers: The Infinity War. I picture Cap, possibly depowered by the Infinity Gauntlet, reach for any weapon to fight back against the mad titan. Upon going for Mjolnir, he lifts the hammer and, in a glorious flash of lightning, Captain America arises at full power now sporting a snazzy Thor version of his costume.

Also, you know Marvel needs to put this scene into the movie.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Fappy said:
Adam Jensen said:
The look on Thor's face when Cap managed to move the hammer just a tiny bit. PRICELESS!
Yeah, that was a really nice touch.

Here's hoping he actually gets to wield it at some point. Would be an awesome "OH SHIT" moment. Maybe when he ultimately dies (Chris Evans ain't sticking around for too long) he'll take the main bad down with him wielding Mjolnir. How epic would that be?
Yes... this scene needs to happen.
But probably won't, because the film would burn of sheer epicness.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
truckspond said:
Oh yeah, I will definitely be seeing this in theaters as soon as I can. That little scene at the start had more character development than the entirety of the Twilight saga
That's kind of a low bar to set. I could sneeze on a piece of paper to write a story with more character development than the entirely of the Twilight saga.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
As if I wasn't sold enough already. Everyone has already pointed out Thor's worried look when Cap manages to move the hammer, so I'm just going to say that I loved that part too!