See The Far Cry 3 Demo You Missed At E3

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
See The Far Cry 3 Demo You Missed At E3

During this year's E3 conference Ubisoft offered journalists a stunning closed-door demo of Far Cry 3. Now you can see what all the fuss is about.

If you followed our E3 coverage dutifully -- you did, didn't you? -- you likely saw this piece covering a mysterious, press-only demo of Far Cry 3 in tantalizing detail [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110802-E3-Far-Cry-3].

Despite all our glowing praise and minute attention to detail however, there's always something lost in the translation to text. If my math is correct, and a picture is worth a thousand words, then this four-minute video straight from E3 is tantamount to a half dozen Merriams, or six and a quarter Websters.

Keep in mind that this isn't the clip described in the above-linked article. It's the same section of the game, but this is an alternate route through the area.

Preamble complete, the footage is more or less what you'd hope for. Gunplay, explosions, corpses; all rendered in the finest detail. I don't know that is has the same wow-factor as the early demos of the original Far Cry -- seven years ago that game's draw distances were inconceivable -- or the glee-inspiring chaotic potential of igniting an entire savannah in Far Cry 2 and watching zebras flee for their high-contrast lives, but you can't deny that the third game in the series has some impressive technological chops.

Especially impressive is the distorted soldier silhouette created by the waterfall at the beginning of the clip and the real-time rotor wash created by the chopper at the end.

I'd also like to point out that at least half of that clip features random bits of debris floating in front of the player's vision. Complain about the stimulus overload it could potentially create, but for realism's sake, I think it's a neat touch.

Unless the game also simulates allergic reactions. All that plant debris must be murder on your sinuses.

Far Cry 3 is scheduled to hit the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC platforms in 2012.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/08/far-cry-3s-alternate-e3-demo-playthrough/]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I thought that was a more interesting playthrough then the one they demoed. Looking forward to this.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Looks, great. Cant wait. :) I loved FC2, so I will most likely like this.

Anyone else notice how large that AK is?

Black Watch

Aug 9, 2010
I hope they didn't change the game too much from Far Cry 2. I loved that game and hopefully it keeps the games unique pacing, only without the malaria.

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
It looks good and all but, is the whole game still as boring as Far Cry 2? I am literally, less bored organizing my iTunes library compared to playing Far Cry 2.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
All enemies are wearing red hats and red masks, its like headshot magnets. I guess this is to compensate the pain in the ass that was playing Far Cry 1 with a red hawaian shirt.

EDIT: Hey, skill points, not bad

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Oh my god...
I think they finally fixed the enemy shooting you from 100km away bug :D

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
VincentX3 said:
Oh my god...
I think they finally fixed the enemy shooting you from 100km away bug :D
My thoughts exactly! It even took them a few seconds to notice where you were! This looks awesome!

*faints*

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
It's like the spiritual successor to Crysis; beautiful scenery, enemies that respond interestingly and explosions. The other video shows a brilliantly psychotic main enemy character dude, which I love the look of... all in all, a promising start :D

Apr 28, 2008
Donnyp said:
Cousin_IT said:
not a health bar in sight :(
My thoughts exactly. Far cry 2 has a great health system. Why not bring that back?
What they said. Far Cry 2's health system is the best ever. Perfect blend of regenerating health and a health bar.

Makes me really sad that they seem to be getting rid of it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It's the detail not the graphics that pleased me. The way they stumbled when shot in the legs, the way they were lounging around the base whilst people were being thrown into the water and it was just all happening for you to discover it. And the body in the water was amazing.

I think the AI might let it down though. A game like that needs class AI, but it looked like after you fire the first couple of shots they all know where you are and act like typical bots.

Still, amazing demo!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
It's like the spiritual successor to Crysis; beautiful scenery, enemies that respond interestingly and explosions. The other video shows a brilliantly psychotic main enemy character dude, which I love the look of... all in all, a promising start :D
That guy at 1:20 is the best voice actor in a video game I seen for a long time.

That and his facial expression is hilarious.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
What I like about this is he said "I'll break the line of sight" when escaping enemy fire.

Sounds and looks like they've made an attempt to fix the broken stealth mechanic that made me trade in Farcry 2.