See Why Every Bullet Counts in Shinji Mikami's Evil Within

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
See Why Every Bullet Counts in Shinji Mikami's Evil Within

"I don't want to just stand there shooting dozens of enemies," says Mikami. "Die! Die! Die! I don't have energy for that."

Shinji Mikami's The Evil Within [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133607-The-Evil-Withins-New-Trailer-is-Downright-Freaky] is very, very close to release, so the folks at Bethesda thought it would be a good idea to let you in on one or two tips of the trade. For one, if you want to live, don't rely on your gun. It's great, sure, but ammo is precious, and the last thing you need is to be facing off against the undead with an empty sidearm. Not to worry; if you can find a way in, the Asylum will help you turn your life around. Probably. That electroshock chair doesn't look too comfortable, Detective Castellanos ...

"I'm interested in vulnerable characters, in normal human beings," Mikami told the Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/30/shinji-mikami-evil-within-resident-evil] in an interview. "The horror experience is most scary when the player really isn't sure whether their character is going to live or die - death and survival need to be on a constant see-saw.

"If there's a situation where you're not 100% sure that you can avoid or defeat the enemies, if you feel maybe there's a chance you'll make it ... that's where horror lies."

Bethesda has a few more tips for you, if you're interested. That said, this is stuff that, while not strictly spoilers, might take away some of the fun of figuring out the game's systems. With that in mind, if you want to find out more about upgrades, and why burning the bodies is a darn good idea, go over here [http://www.bethblog.com/2014/09/29/the-evil-within-every-last-bullet/].

The Evil Within will launch on PC, PlayStation, and Xbox platforms October 14, 2014; October 16, if you happen to be in Australasia.

Source: Bethesda YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVShDsYih9Y]

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Woah woah woah, this really changes what I thought the game was going to be like. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll probably still get it, but for completely different reasons now. Seems like the player is actually going to have a pretty firm control over what happens around him, making this more Dead Space than Amnesia. Could be wrong, lets see.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wow, you mean you can use trip mines and exploding barrels to your advantage? Holy shit, what a revolution! Oh my god, weapons upgrades too?

Seriously, I have no problem with this, but it feels a bit strange for this trailer to play it off like it's some amazing new mechanic. Resident Evil 4 did all this nearly 10 years ago.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Will definitely be keeping an eye on this, the more i hear of it the more it impresses me.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Wow, you mean you can use trip mines and exploding barrels to your advantage? Holy shit, what a revolution! Oh my god, weapons upgrades too?

Seriously, I have no problem with this, but feels a bit strange for this trailer to play it off like it's some amazing new mechanic. Resident Evil 4 did this nearly 10 years ago.
Difference is those barrels are useless without Bullets, which as the trailer states, is a luxury. :p

I get what you mean though, but it doesn't really bother me that much. It really depends how often we see these mines and barrels, which in most games is every corner.

Hopefully these will also be a "luxury" to the player. so you aren't always dependent on them.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
arc1991 said:
Difference is those barrels are useless without Bullets, which as the trailer states, is a luxury. :p

I get what you mean though, but it doesn't really bother me that much. It really depends how often we see these mines and barrels, which in most games is every corner.

Hopefully these will also be a "luxury" to the player. so you aren't always dependent on them.
Like I said, I don't mind the mechanics themselves. If I did I'd probably have stop playing every game that features shooting. It's just the trailer going 'Woah look, you can shoot barrels to take out enemies'. Uhm yeah, and...? It'd be like the trailer for the next Halo showing off that you can throw sticky grenades and ride vehicles.

Anyway, it's good to see we're getting some vulnerable protagonists at least.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I really, REALLY hope this ends up being good. I have had my heart for horror broken too many times.

Casual Shinji said:

Seriously, I have no problem with this, but it feels a bit strange for this trailer to play it off like it's some amazing new mechanic. Resident Evil 4 did all this nearly 10 years ago.
Shit, I'd settle for a Resident Evil 4 clone. That seemed to get the action/horror balance right.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am waiting for reviews on this one. Every time I see a play of this... it looks boring. But I desperately don't want it to be boring, I want another good RE style game. I mean, it could easily be one of those games that sucks to watch but is intense to play. Here is to hoping.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Doclector said:
I really, REALLY hope this ends up being good. I have had my heart for horror broken too many times.

Casual Shinji said:

Shit, I'd settle for a Resident Evil 4 clone. That seemed to get the action/horror balance right.
Resi 4 got lost in its own silliness too quickly. Opening village scenes were genuinely tense, but then you meet tiny Napoleon and Leon asks him if his right hand comes off...

This looks interesting, but from the trailer I wasn't getting a horror vibe, just more occasional jump scares.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
I can't comment on the barrels (since most shooting games have them), but as for traps

you can dismantle them to craft Agony Bolts, for a crossbow you get in the game.

From the trailer it looks like you have a knife that you can use for stealth kills. That looks like an option to use if you want to conserve ammo of if ammo is in a short supply.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds all very good that you have to be careful with your ammo but i still dont fell like playing it. maybe one day if its on special.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Casual Shinji said:

And it was even done relatively recently in another horror game (ZombiU in 2012), and I don't remember Ubisoft hyping that part up.

As for the trailer itself well it looks like a less ridiculous version of Resident Evil 4, so it's a maybe (if the trailer's accurate).