Sega and Sonic team, all is forgiven

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Looking at the videos (I don't have access to the demo with no 360 but it is coming out on PC, Steam is taking pre orders) and I saw something that's been missing since Sonic Adventure.

Speed. Sonic just lost it since shortly after The first sonic Adventure. It's nice to see it back.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
VikingSteve said:
Sylveria said:
teh_Canape said:
The Heavenator said:
Not to rain on your parade but the demo for Unleashed seemed to be good. Then the actual game dropped.
and 65% of it was still good

at least on the PS2 version, which seems to have more daytime stages than nighttime
In my school, 65% was an F.

Haha, wrecked.

dickywebster said:
While resident evil 4 proved you can pull a series back, sonics been circling the drain for a long time, isnt that a sign that you shouldnt get excited until youve played the actualy game?

Wtf? RE3 was arguably the best one of the series, RE0 was great too. RE4 didn't bring anything back, it pushed RE off a fucking building and killed it.
Uhhh. . . what? Having played both Resident Evil 4 and RE:make for Wii last year--without any prior experience to the series, mind you--my observations were that 1) Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games ever, and 2) RE:make--while passable by mid-nineties standards--rehashes adventure game elements without a tenth of, say, LucasArts' imagination, and is more "interface horror" than "survival horror", given how grating the tank controls, fixed camera angles, annoying save system, etc. is. Also, RE:make has cheap deaths that are intolerable regardless of era--a fatal admixture when coupled with how unforgiving its save system is.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Sonic Colors seems to have done a lot of the work already. Sonic 4, while less unanimously praised, was stil enjoyed by a lot of gamers. And the hand-held Sonic games have always been regarded as being strong entries in the series.

Lighten up man. Haven't you heard? Sega finally gives a shit. The good times are coming for us Sonic fans.
Just curious, how can a thing be "more",or,"less" unanimous than being actually unanimous?

OT: I haven't played with the hedgehog since the goold ol' days of Sega Genesis. I've been, blissfully, spared all the heartbreak you guys have suffered.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
dickywebster said:
Jazoni89 said:
dickywebster said:
While resident evil 4 proved you can pull a series back, sonics been circling the drain for a long time, isnt that a sign that you shouldnt get excited until youve played the actualy game?
I have played the demo, which contains two whole levels in the game.

So yeah, it looks, and plays great, so unless sonic team destroys the code, delays it to remake the game with crappy gimmicks, their's no chance in hell that this will flop.

They have actually listened to the fans this time.
Im sorry, but your basing this off 2 levels and think it wont flop? Considering the general opinion of sonic games is that they are terrible, do you really think everyone will have seen the trailer/played the demo and then go out and buy the game based on this?

Trailers have been misleading before, besides, how do you know that the 2 levels youve played are the only good ones in the whole game? You dont and there is no way you can predict the game will be a success. Optimism is all good and well, but declaring 2 levels mean a game will be awesome is kinda pushing it just a little dont you think? Esoecially as this is sonic, ive heard people saying the same thing every game, that this one will live upto the legend that is the originals, but it never does.

If the game does come out and it is bad, would you admit it? I would be happy to admit im wrong if it is the awesome game your claiming, cause im holding off judgement until ive actually played it. And despite my usual ignoring the trailers stuff, we are talking about the series used as a joke about been bad constantly, so maybe this changes it, but itll have to impress more than usualy considering.
This isn't purely fanboy biased, as I'm not even the biggest fan of sonic, I'm more of a fan of good games.

It's just, judge by everything I've shown, and played, and being told about the game (no gimmicks, no other characters than sonic), i can't see this not being a great sonic game.

Sure sonic fans will probably find something to moan about, like it's too short, and why can't I play as shadow, ect, but I'll be enjoying it, so that's all that matters really.

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
VikingSteve said:
DustArma[]snip
Oh, I watched it again, but only because you asked nicely.

The signs that point out pitfalls reak of hand-holding. I still turn my nose up at it.
Bottomless pit signs, button prompts and Omochao can all be turned off, just like in Colors.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
I await my already pre-ordered copy, but unfortunately, too many will simply say "It's not Sonic 3 and Knuckles!" and instantly pass it by.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I haven't bought a game since Sonic 3. Not because "I hate dem 3d versions", but because I just lost interest.

I will be buying this, based solely on the videos that were posted in this thread. This is the first I've heard of this game. Thank you to all who posted the videos.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I tried the demo and I thought it was pretty bad. On the 2D sections the colours were so bright and crazy I couldn't see what the hell was going on. That might get better with practice or on different levels though. But the 3D sections was just as bad as all recent Sonic games. Felt like I had no control. It was just a scrolling background. Not impressed. I think people are way too hung up on nostalgia to judge this game for what it really is.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
VikingSteve said:
DustArma[]snip
Oh, I watched it again, but only because you asked nicely.

The signs that point out pitfalls reak of hand-holding. I still turn my nose up at it.

EzraPound said:
VikingSteve said:
Sylveria said:
teh_Canape said:
The Heavenator said:
Not to rain on your parade but the demo for Unleashed seemed to be good. Then the actual game dropped.
and 65% of it was still good

at least on the PS2 version, which seems to have more daytime stages than nighttime
In my school, 65% was an F.

Haha, wrecked.

dickywebster said:

Wtf? RE3 was arguably the best one of the series, RE0 was great too. RE4 didn't bring anything back, it pushed RE off a fucking building and killed it.
Uhhh. . . what? Having played both Resident Evil 4 and RE:make for Wii last year--without any prior experience to the series, mind you--my observations were that 1) Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games ever, and 2) RE:make--while passable by mid-nineties standards--rehashes adventure game elements without a tenth of, say, LucasArts' imagination, and is more "interface horror" than "survival horror", given how grating the tank controls, fixed camera angles, annoying save system, etc. is. Also, RE:make has cheap deaths that are intolerable regardless of era--a fatal admixture when coupled with how unforgiving its save system is.
I can't take anything you say seriously now. That's just a really stupid thing to say. Especially when you follow it up with this:

is more "interface horror" than "survival horror", given how grating the tank controls, fixed camera angles, annoying save system, etc. is.
Really, dude? Pretty sure RE4 is a shooting gallery. People that ***** about RE's controls are scrubs. How hard is it to remember that FORWARD means FORWARD. I mean, you have to be retarded not to get that. Seriously, you couldn't play with controls that literally make your character go the direction they point when the controller is resting?

Fixed camera angles were awesome. That's my favorite part of RE. Not being able to see everything removes control and by nature makes me more tense. Maybe you're just a control freak.

And what's the annoying save system? You mean the one where you can't save endlessly? Yeah, you're a fucking noob alright, you must love handholding games like RE4.

The funny part is that you really can save endlessly if you want, at the end of any RE I have over 10 ink ribbons left. Why? Because I'm fucking good and don't need to use them CONSTANTLY.
. . .Generally, when you feel compelled to accuse the person whose point on gaming you're attempting to refute a "noob" in order to do it, you've already lost the argument (aside from which, you would hope that a truly great game would be able to accommodate players of different skill levels). My argument about the Resident Evil series of yesteryear is essentially that it rehashes elements from both adventure games and shooters that preceded it, without doing either particularly well--Resident Evil is not The Secret of Monkey Island inasmuch as art or narrative design is concerned, and nor is it a particularly engaging action game. I also have my doubts about any designer that seeks to instill fear via simply imposing arbitrary cheap deaths and gameplay strictures on the player.

Resident Evil 4 was, indeed, a shooting gallery--it was just a really, really good one; providing a gameplay experience that rarely courted tedium and remained tense throughout. This is probably why it's more acclaimed than RE1--which, by the way, I give kudos along with Sweet Home and Alone in the Dark for pioneering the survival-horror genre, even whereas I don't enjoy playing it.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
dickywebster said:
Jazoni89 said:
dickywebster said:

So yeah, it looks, and plays great, so unless sonic team destroys the code, delays it to remake the game with crappy gimmicks, their's no chance in hell that this will flop.

Im sorry, but your basing this off 2 levels and think it wont flop? Considering the general opinion of sonic games is that they are terrible, do you really think everyone will have seen the trailer/played the demo and then go out and buy the game based on this?

Trailers have been misleading before, besides, how do you know that the 2 levels youve played are the only good ones in the whole game? You dont and there is no way you can predict the game will be a success. Optimism is all good and well, but declaring 2 levels mean a game will be awesome is kinda pushing it just a little dont you think? Esoecially as this is sonic, ive heard people saying the same thing every game, that this one will live upto the legend that is the originals, but it never does.

If the game does come out and it is bad, would you admit it? I would be happy to admit im wrong if it is the awesome game your claiming, cause im holding off judgement until ive actually played it. And despite my usual ignoring the trailers stuff, we are talking about the series used as a joke about been bad constantly, so maybe this changes it, but itll have to impress more than usualy considering.
This isn't purely fanboy biased, as I'm not even the biggest fan of sonic, I'm more of a fan of good games.

It's just, judge by everything I've shown, and played, and being told about the game (no gimmicks, no other characters than sonic), i can't see this not being a great sonic game.

Sure sonic fans will probably find something to moan about, like it's too short, and why can't I play as shadow, ect, but I'll be enjoying it, so that's all that matters really.
Fair point (i need to stop coming on here tipsy though).

However, it might just have been the dissappointments ive seen over the years, but i rarely say if a game is good or not before actually playing the thing, the rare exceptions been sequels to one or more good games (arkham city and saints row 3 for example) where a company has proved it either knows what it was doing or was lucky.

Sonic however has an uphill battle, sure the series could be brought back and itd be nice for a lot of people, but itd have to be a very good game to stand above the last few.
Like say the next batman film, no matter how good it is, theres only a slim chance of it been better than the dark knight, as it will always be compared to it and legers greatest performance. Sonics the same, but that it will becompared to the bad games before it which might still drag it down.

But really, if you enjoy it, then good for you, its why i play games, so it must be doing something right if it is as enjoyable as you hope.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
dickywebster said:

I've played the demo also, I appreciated the chance to play the "modern" levels as until now I'd only played the first classic level when they released it as a timed demo on psn a while back.

If the rest of the game is as good I look forward to it.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
mjc0961 said:
And then there's the people who say Unleashed was good, when even the "the daytime stages" claim doesn't fly. And for all the praise Colors gets, there's no way I'm going near it because it must be the shittiest game of all.
Colours took out two things from Unleashed: the night-time stages and the stick up Sonic's ass. Two things that should have been removed. How, then, could Colours possibly be 'the shittiest game of all'? Even Yahtzee recommended it above Unleashed (credits of iPhone Games). Is it because it's for the Wii and not your beloved PS360?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Soxafloppin said:
There not forgiven until I'm given Sonic Adventure 3!
You, sir, should be ashamed to call yourself a 'fan' when all you do is whine about what you don't have rather than be grateful and have fun with what you are getting.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Holy shit... now I'm seriously stocked for this game. I'll save some cash to buy it before it releases in november, you can already pre-purchase it in Steam for $30 =D

MrMuttonChops

Jan 5, 2011
EternalNothingness said:
Why bother "forgiving" Sega's sins against their own mascot anyway?

Sonic Generations is going to not only bomb, but also damage Sonic in more ways than even Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic '06, and Sonic Unleashed put together! The Sonic Cycle will repeat itself, taking our beloved childhood hero and turning him into a crap cash-in with no redeeming values like the previous times. It'll be broken, unplayable, and cheap like Shadow's game, Sonic '06, and Unleashed, complete with more gimmicks that don't feel like Sonic at all in the vein of the previous bad and gratuitous gimmicks from the previous awful games.

If anything, I'd rather the sun explodes and consumes all of Earth, bringing the entire human-population with it, than deal with another game that's going to re-kill my childhood-hero anyway. It'll be that bad!
Have you actually played it or even watched gameplay of it?

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
Soxafloppin said:
There not forgiven until I'm given Sonic Adventure 3!
You, sir, should be ashamed to call yourself a 'fan' when all you do is whine about what you don't have rather than be grateful and have fun with what you are getting.
*sigh*

It was sarcasm and a joke.

and where did I say I was a fan?

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
And so this topic proves once again that Sonic has the indignity of having ~the~ textbook example of an Unpleasable Fanbase, I can't think of any other group of fans so ungrateful and so bloody self entitled as Sonic's.

And I certainly don't grasp how a supposed bad title has to be made up for through a title that's of a stellar, GOTY, if not GOTD quality. If I think a Sonic title will be bad I simply won't buy it, but I won't pound the ground and demand the next game be of X standard to make up for this one. If the next one is enjoyable all will be fine for me.