Sega Announces New DLC for Valkyria Chronicles

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sega Announces New DLC for Valkyria Chronicles

Despite its status as the most criminally overlooked game of 2008, Sega isn't giving up on Valkyria Chronicles. In fact, the publisher just announced an upcoming downloadable add-on for the cult favorite.

Of course, by "announced," I mean "said the bare minimum necessary to qualify a statement as an 'announcement' before leaving us all to wonder if we missed some crucial detail."

Have a look at the sum total of Sega's "announcement:" [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=222661?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

Today, Sega announces new downloadable content for Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. 'Challenges from Team Edy' will test your strategy skills in all new missions! The DLC content will be available Winter 2010.

Ok, so we have a vague release window, a pluralization of the word "missions" which insinuates that there will be more than one, and a nebulous title that offers no hint of what this new content might include.

When contacted for comment, a Sega of America representative assured me that there are "more details to come soon," so hopefully the publisher will fill in some of the more crucial blanks (like how much the DLC will cost, for instance).

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Id buy it if it wasnt a PS3 exclusive; but im not buying a console for one game

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
I wish it wasn't a PS3 exclusive. The anime is actually fairly decent so far, and I've heard the game is much better, so I really have wanted to play the game.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
Love the game but winter 2010 is getting ahead of itself for most DLC. Usually it is tossed together in a couple months, not more than a year. Would have to be quite a few levels for them to announce it this early on.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
I would get it, if I didn't get rid off it awhile ago, but a whole year for DLC! no thanks.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
the most criminally overlooked game of 2008
hey, I swear that I heard that Valkyria Chronicles didn't do too badly later onwards, with sales of the game quadrupling due to the DLC pack and heavy advertisement from the fanbase of the game?

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
More from team Edy? That's good, but... Winter 2010? Are you sure this isn't for the PSP version?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The game wasn't that immensely great, but it made a great attempt to branch out the genre.

Wich can't be said about any of the other JRPG's.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Onmi said:
Cousin_IT said:
Id buy it if it wasnt a PS3 exclusive; but im not buying a console for one game
Then... buy it for more than one game???

This argument allways seems to confuse me, because there is never just One Game on a console you will like, it might take time to hunt around but chances are you will find them.

Note I am not telling you to go buy a console, but if your reasoning is "Not for one game" then don't do it for one game, do it for a lot of games you like the look of.

That's why I got a PSP after swearing it off for so long.
If I didnt already have a 360, I would buy it for that reason. But by having a 360, the reason is not buy it for more than one game, but more than one exclusive game. Currently, the PS3 lacks enough exclusives that appeal to me to justify buying one whilst also having a 360.