Sega Announces Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Sega Announces Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

Over 40 classic Genesis and Master System titles are being featured in the biggest collection of Sega titles ever assembled.

How many times has the Sonic the Hedgehog series been bundled together? Off the top of my head, I count six. But what about Sega's landmark RPG series, Phantasy Star? Did that obscure Sega Saturn release ever come bundled with the likes of Kid Chameleon or Comix Zone? Much to the chagrin of those who have purchased their collections in the past, Sega is firing its proverbial load into what amounts to the biggest collection of Sega classics ever assembled, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The collection itself contains over 40 titles (which can be viewed below, sans unlockable games) from the very best of Sega's Genesis and Master System era. From the original Phantasy Star series to obscure favorites like Beyond Oasis and Decap Attack, gamers will find it tough to choose a favorite amongst the bunch.

While the list of included titles is extremely impressive, Sega's previous track record in bringing its vintage games into the HD-era calls for cautious optimism. Having already released Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage 2 and Golden Axeon Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade platform, we've seen what happens when these classic titles are processed at higher resolutions without proper care, with the visuals appearing as though someone slathered Vaseline all over your television.

It's also disappointing to see that this collection, being offered as a full retail release, may be lacking features from their online-enabled XBLA counterparts, with Sega claiming that you may "Play these classics together with a friend from the same console at home." As a consolation prize, Sega does promise unlockable content in the form of developer interviews, achievements (as well as trophies for PS3 users) and extra games. If I may be so bold as to make a prediction to that last point, I have a strong feeling that we'll be counting Sonic 2 & Knuckles as well as Sonic 3 & Knuckles as unlockable titles. Call it a hunch.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is currently scheduled for Winter 2009 and is set for a retail price of $29.95. The gargantuan list of included titles are as follows.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Awesome. Oh-so-awesome.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Classy list, Streets of Rage 2 was the first thing I got on Virtual Console. It still gets busted out when folks are feeling the nostalgia.

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
What I never get about these collections is that I can fit hundreds of ROMs plus an emulator onto a DVD. So why does a collection only feature 40 games?

Aoi Denkou

Sep 5, 2008
Whooooo, that's a lot of games for one disc.
Sounds interesting, hopefully they'll put knuckles Chaotix in as an unlockable.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
as long as they don't try to put a £40 price tag on it i'm all for it

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
thebobmaster said:
AuntyEthel said:
What I never get about these collections is that I can fit hundreds of ROMs plus an emulator onto a DVD. So why does a collection only feature 40 games?
Price concerns?
How expensive can it really be to knock out a compilation like this as opposed to designing and programming a complex 3d game?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
well if winter09 is the right date, means they got pleanty of time to make sure the rendering in HD doesnt go tits up.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
If Knuckles Chaotix doesn't make it on there, I'll eat my 32x.

Also I know for a fact that EVERY Genesis game ever made (incl. 32x) will fit onto a single DVD. With only a leeetle compression. And they're still playable in that form. (A good number of emulators seem to support .zip'd ROMs now?)

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
They still havn't put Phantasy Star onto a compilation disc, so I'm going to have II, III, and IV, and not be able to play them.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I will definitely be picking this up. Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, Sonic, Streets of Rage - that's exactly what I'd list as my Genesis top picks.

Mstrswrd said:
They still havn't put Phantasy Star onto a compilation disc, so I'm going to have II, III, and IV, and not be able to play them.
If you really want to play Phantasy Star, I suggest the GBA Phantasy Star Collection [http://www.amazon.com/Phantasy-Star-Collection-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00007B77H]. I wouldn't hold off just for the first one though - the later ones are much better. I'm very happy about Phantasy Star IV showing up though.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Virgil said:
If you really want to play Phantasy Star, I suggest the GBA Phantasy Star Collection [http://www.amazon.com/Phantasy-Star-Collection-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00007B77H]. I wouldn't hold off just for the first one though - the later ones are much better. I'm very happy about Phantasy Star IV showing up though.
Oh... thank you... I didn't even know that existed.

SADASS

Apr 18, 2008
COLOMNS! IMO tetris ain't got crap on that =D

I wonder if they will emulate the lock-on tech. i liked Sonic 3 + knuckles.