Sega Brings Zombie Apocalypse to Yakuza

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sega Brings Zombie Apocalypse to Yakuza

Sega's answer to Grand Theft Auto is soon taking its gameplay style to another level, with zombies.

Yakuza 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-Playstation-2/dp/B000FIVC2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284521821&sr=8-2] for the PlayStation 3 and Yakuza 4 in Japan. When Yakuza: Of the End was announced by Sega, rumors and images hinted that it'd be somewhat different that previous games, but nobody expected it to add zombies.

Of the End will add zombies though, according to the latest Famitsu magazine. The game appears to be a response to the popularity of Capcom's Dead Rising [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Rising-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002EE5ROO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284521834&sr=8-2], and will be somewhat of a departure for the series.

Instead of visiting the batting cages and wandering around as the toughest guy in town, players will have to contend with the undead in the ruined city streets of Tokyo. The game's Kamurocho district is overrun by zombies and quarantined by Japan's Self-Defense Forces, trapping everyone inside that couldn't make it out in time.

Players will control four different characters in Of the End, including previous hero Kazuma Kiryu. There will still be missions to complete and silly mini-games to partake in, but they'll revolve around the new theme of a zombie outbreak. Characters won't have to hold back on their weaponry anymore either, and have been seen in images holding giant machine guns.

Yakuza producer Toshihiro Nagoshi says that the idea behind Of the End is to "tear things down and unfold some new developments in the series." A title not released in the U.S., Yakuza: Kenzan!, took the series back into the 17th century, and Nagoshi seeks to shake things up again with Of the End.

"I think Yakuza is the sort of game you can play constructively in lots of different ways, and that's exactly why I wanted to try something like this," he says. "This isn't some kind of experimental work, though -- it's a fun, full game, and we're very confident as we continue work on it."

Think of it like this: What if Rockstar came out with a sequel to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-Andreas-Playstation-2/dp/B000EHQDA0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284522660&sr=8-2] that pitted Carl against a city full of zombie gangsters? It'd be pure awesome, that's what. Of the End will have a presence at the Tokyo Game Show, so expect more details this week.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/yakuza-resident-evil]
Image Source: Scrawl [http://scrawlfx.com/2010/09/yakuza-of-the-end-is-a-game-about-zombies]

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
I think this is awful, there's no creativity, just a reppeated idea on a different game.

well i don't discard it could be fun, but it's not that much of a big deal, unless you've seen every single zombie movie...

gregitaly

Mar 12, 2009
Quick informal poll- anyone else tired of Zombies in general yet? I know I became tired of the ambulatory corpses when I read the headline to this article.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I think it sounds kinda cool, very weird choice of series to do this sort of thing in, but hey...I still love zombies.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I'm usually not one for zombies unless its in this kind of open world/sandbox medium. Now if they would just incorporate some of the things from Prototype...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Ugh... We cant kill enough of these muthafuckers, can we? They just keep right on coming.

And I swear to God, If I see a pair of women with swords, and one is wearing a bikini, im gonna kill something...

neonnightlite

Jun 25, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Ugh... We cant kill enough of these muthafuckers, can we? They just keep right on coming.

And I swear to God, If I see a pair of women with swords, and one is wearing a bikini, im gonna kill something...
would that thing be a zombie?

Krythe

Oct 29, 2009
I'll say what I always say - gaming companies are run by soulless greedy cabals who would make snuff films starring their own mothers if there was enough money in it.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Calling Yakuza: Sega's GTA is stupid. The games have nothing in common apart from being sandboxes and being related to crime (Even that's not much of a similarity, since in Yakuza you FIGHT crime, even if you come from the criminal organization yourself)
It's like saying Call of Duty is Activision's Half Life.

Yakuza is a lot better than GTA.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Ugh.. *yawn* Serious or not, zombies are so overused these days.
Indeed, the very premise of zombies has become a bit too hackneyed. I mean really, zombies no matter what, leaves me asking "again?" I'd rather see vampires or something entirely made up inspired by horror creatures/myths if we had to go with the Halloween monster route.

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
This is not a news article, its marketing. If you want to market games for your advertisers, put it in a Marketing column, not News. Its not News.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
Pretty sure they mean "Self Defense Forces", not special defense forces lol. Unless there really IS a special defence force, maybe that's the Japanese SF :)