Sega Building New Alien Game to Take On Dead Space

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sega Building New Alien Game to Take On Dead Space

Sega has revealed the development of a new Alien game that'll possibly make players scream in terror just like Dead Space.

Sega has confirmed a brand new Dead Space [http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B001AQO3QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305213700&sr=8-1] series. The project is different from Aliens: Colonial Marines, a shooter in the works at Gearbox Software.

The currently untitled Alien game is being developed by Creative Assembly, known for long-running strategy series Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Total-War-Shogun-2-Limited-Pc/dp/B004CZZZXQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305212772&sr=1-1]."

However, Sega didn't mention the genre of the game. The mix of Creative Assembly with the mention of Dead Space is curious, considering the highly strategic nature of the studio and the third-person combat of Dead Space. If it was a strategy game, wouldn't Sega have mentioned something like StarCraft II [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305213887&sr=8-1] instead of Dead Space 2?

The game is coming to consoles, but no specific platform was mentioned either. All we know is that the project's creative director Mike Simpson was told to "win awards," and that Creative Assembly is going on a hiring binge to ramp up production.

Games based on the Alien movies have been hit-or-miss over their lifespan, with the latest Aliens vs. Predator [http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-vs-Predator-Playstation-3/dp/B001TOMQSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305213576&sr=1-1] title getting mixed reviews. If you ask me, Creative Assembly should just put together another Aliens vs. Predator side-scrolling brawler, like Capcom's from 1994, and rake in the dough. When we have more information on this mysterious Aliens title, we'll get it to you.

*Update*: Creative Assembly has officially announced the game, but with few extra details. It'll be a "console core game," and Creative Assembly is opening a brand new 10,000 square foot studio to develop it. Genre-wise, this could hint toward an broadening of Creative Assembly's horizons

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300998/news/new-alien-game-confirmed-for-console-will-be-peer-to-dead-space-2-sega/]

Dec 14, 2009
Dead Space was never scary to begin with. Was I on edge while playing? Yes, but I was never truly scared of anything the game threw at me.

That's not a bad thing, I mean, it's basically Resident Evil 4 in space.

And Resident Evil 4 was a brilliant game.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Perfect franchise to make a truly great survival horror game (if that's what they are going to do).

Plus you won't have to do much to beat dead space.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Trolldor said:
It'll be a "console core game,"
*snore*

Moving along.
A decade ago, during the age when Silent Hill and the original Resident Evil titles were core console horror titles, I would have welcomed this news on my platform. But considering Dead Space and the more recently action-oriented RE titles are what pass off as 'horror' these days, I would rather have devs try to emulate Amnesia's elements, especially for a franchise like Alien. (Note, not Aliens, i.e. James Cameroon's creation and everything past it, but Ridley Scott's Alien.)

Hypertion

May 10, 2011
No.. nooo...... NOOOOOOO

the thing that made the first Alien movie GREAT was atmosphere...

Dead Space and DS2 pretty much failed in acually creating any atmosphere as EVERYTHING was dark and you had no true compairison.

In Alien the SINGLE creature managed to only add to the atmosphere by being rarly visible and acting like a true preditor.

Deadspace tends to just THROW ITS CREATURES IN YOUR FACE. i will not give any examples because anyone who has seen the first acual Minute of gameplay of DS2 will understand...

Now if they manage to capture the Gameplay style of DS and DS2 but manage to capture the atmosphere of Aliens, and i say Aliens because making a game with only one enemy its very pointless, they i will be impressed.

However the AVP game for the PC a while ago has already done that... and then remade itself for Current Generation Gaming Consoles and Graphics.

So... No... Something NEW please.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I played Spartan: Total warrior, God of War was better. Why is a company with very different skills and strengths making a game like this?

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
I have a completely ridiculous proposal:

What if they could try something original? Innovation nowadays seems to completely rest on the shoulders of indie developers.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I just don't know if there's enough action and diversity available to an Aliens translation to keep my attention for 10 hours (and 10 hours should be the minimum for shooters). At least with AVP games there's diversity through the three species, but even the AVP games never reached what they were going for, in my opinion.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Good companies make games that try to change how we play.
Bad companies make games to compete with the good company's success and always fail.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I want a remake of AVP 2000, not this abomination that came out recently with all the brofist emphasis on trophy kills.

Oh and the ever so awesome "push to sprint" button. Hey knuckleheads did you even see the movies? Was there ever an instance of an alien NOT sprinting?

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
This is a bit confusing ... a company that to the best of my knowledge has up to now exclusively created total war strategy games for the PC is now tasked to make a game to compete with a 3rd person shooter on consoles ?!?

I dont think Sega will be able to market this game, even if CA make a great game... the last AvP game on consoles had its support pulled while the game was still a mess on consoles, and I would imagine those players would be the exact target audiance for a Aliens game.

... so we got a console game developed by a PC developer, and published by a publisher who has already shown itself unwilling to support titles on consoles past launch.

Funny thought: Would CA make Aliens: Total War ?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, the last Aiens vs Predator wasn't all that bad and it's actually pretty fun online (PC version), but wasn't Alien one of the inspirations of Dead Space in the first place?.

I can still recall that there was an Aliens strategy game in the works. Maybe I made that up, but heck if that wouldn't be interesting.

And I'm also up for another brawler like the Capcom (Arcade, not the SNES one) version of AvP.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
fi6eka said:
*sigh* I wonder when will people understand that Dead Space sucks - There is nothing scary in it.Its just a generic third person shooter game with too much tomatoe juice all over it.

That probably is the problem of most survival horror games these days - They aren't actually horror
fixed.

and Dead Space isn't for everyone, just because you don't like the way it presents itself doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's just more of a niche game (nothing wrong with that).

Also, generic? I don't see cover based shooting. In fact, it really doesn't have any similarities to a bad Gears clone, so I don't see where it's "generic"

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
fi6eka said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
fi6eka said:
*sigh* I wonder when will people understand that Dead Space sucks - There is nothing scary in it.Its just a generic third person shooter game with too much tomatoe juice all over it.

That probably is the problem of most survival horror games these days - They aren't actually horror
fixed.

and Dead Space isn't for everyone, just because you don't like the way it presents itself doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's just more of a niche game (nothing wrong with that).

Also, generic? I don't see cover based shooting. In fact, it really doesn't have any similarities to a bad Gears clone, so I don't see where it's "generic"
Thanks for the fix.But still, flickering lights and the ability to slice mutants with an "angle-grinder" for me is not horror.Yes the game can startle you a couple of times, but there is simply no suspence in it for me.
that's perfectly fair, to be honest I don't view the game as horror at all and I still love it. It's more of a "creepy" game, and if you stop trying to throw these unwarranted expectations that it'll be anything like Amnesia, it'll disappoint you for sure.