Sega Buys Atlus Parent Company Index Holdings

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sega Buys Atlus Parent Company Index Holdings

Sega Sammy is taking control of Atlus-parent Index Holdings through a deal that cost $141 million.

Back in June Index Holdings <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125447-Persona-Developers-Parent-Company-Files-For-Bankruptcy>filed for bankruptcy, a move that prompted the company to start selling off <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126131-Atlus-Parent-To-Sell-Off-Operations>its assets, including Persona-makers and niche extraordinaire, Atlus. This move was followed shortly by rumors that one of the groups interested in purchasing the developer/publisher <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126587-Report-Sega-Interested-in-Buying-Atlus>was Sega. Now, those rumors have taken a turn toward reality as it has been confirmed that Sega will be taking control of both, Atlus and Index itself.

Sega confirmed the deal in a <a href=http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20130918_index_e_final.pdf>press release where it described the creation of a new subsidiary, the Sega Dream Corporation, which was formed at the beginning of September to take control of Index. Sega Dream will be under the direct control of Sega Sammy Holdings Inc, the company which owns Sega itself. While Sega hasn't confirmed any official numbers, it's been reported that this deal is worth somewhere in the realm of 14 billion yen, roughly 141 million dollars.

According to Sega Sammy this transfer of control is ideal because it give Sega "access to prominent IPs" and will "create synergies" that should help revitalize Index's business. Sega Sammy also believes it can help optimize the profitability of popular IPs through its "Pachislot and Pachinko Machines segment," helping to establish a steady revenue flow for the company. Overall, this takeover isn't too surprising when you consider that Index and Sega already have a purchase of Relic Entertainment during THQ's unfortunate demise. Whether or not it will lead to any changes within Atlus and its core of popular IPs, is something we'll have to wait to see.

Source: <a href=http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-18/sega-said-to-win-auction-to-buy-bankrupt-japan-gamemaker-index.html>Bloomberg

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Okay Sega, just let Atlus work their magic on Persona 5 undisturbed and we're good to go, okay?

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
I suppose as long as Sega Sammy keeps their hands away from creative production and gives green lights for localization its a win for everyone.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Sega pretty much has control of all the properties i love. I'm afraid, so very, very afraid

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
nice one SEGA now give Atlus Valkyria Chronicles and let them make and localize the 4th game

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well, that is fun. Sega is so insanely xenophobic when it comes to games, as soon Atlus doesn't hit like they want, they will probably close the US Studio and release only Japanese games. Ugh, all well.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Good enough outcome. As A European at least this means that if the games do get localized they'll at least get here in a sane amount of time.

Glad that it wasn't bought by any of the big 3, although Microsoft buying it would've undoubtedly been hilarious just to see the rage caused.

Now let's wait for "Personic 5"

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Welp. I guess we better get used to never playing any Atlus games ever again. I'm still banking on that fan translation for Valkyria Chronicles 3.

Damn shame the cards had to fall the way they did.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
I've got little love for Sega these days, but I'm not sure if Atlus would have been any better off in different hands; I'd be nervous no matter who bought the Index assets

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Seeing as how buddy buddy Nintendo and Sega are, I doubt we'll be seeing any Atlus game from here on out NOT on the WiiU/nintendo console. Oh yeah and their's Sega's problem with not caring about video games... 60% of the time.

*sigh* Oh well, lets hold our breath for Persona 5 and maybe Mario&Sonic&Senpai at the Olympic Games.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I give up on the Gaming Industry.
I Simply do.

SEGA is a piece of shit company and they will for sure never localize any Atlus games, and if they do they are gonna be in Shit consoles like the WiiU and Whatever the fuck Nintendo comes up with next.

I hate you gaming industry.
I really do.

LastDarkness

Jul 9, 2010
Pandalisk said:
Sega pretty much has control of all the properties i love. I'm afraid, so very, very afraid
Me too, im reminded of a quote from Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit 'I bought the Red Car so I could dismantle it. '

Apr 28, 2008
DAMMIT

Sega's fucking terrible at localizing niche Japanese games. And by terrible I mean rarely ever does it. I really hope they let Atlus do their own thing and continue to localize their games, but still, this news... FUCK.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
So long as they're owned by Sega Sammy and not Sega sub company, this should work out well. Sega Sammy seems like it allows it's sub companies to do what they want with little overhead.

Hopefully Sega(the sub one) won't do another round of takedown notices for youtube content for Atlus's IPs now...

Irridium said:
DAMMIT

Sega's fucking terrible at localizing niche Japanese games. And by terrible I mean rarely ever does it. I really hope they let Atlus do their own thing and continue to localize their games, but still, this news... FUCK.
If Sega Sammy doesn't interfere, I'm sure Atlus will localize content at a similar rate as they did before.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Well, if they go the route of the Miku games, I wouldn't mind much.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
The only thing I got from this article was that Sega makes pachinko machines. A Persona pachinko machine would be neat...

CAPTCHA: pond life. Swag?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
When I first read this article, my thoughts went something like this:

Atlus's parent company went bankrupt?! Is that why there's been nothing but re-releases of older games for the past year or so?

Oh thank goodness that Sega has saved Atlus from associated bankruptcy. Maybe we'll finally get Persona 5.

**reads thread**

Oh gods, why did it have to be SEGA?!

**reads this post**

-Dragmire- said:
So long as they're owned by Sega Sammy and not Sega sub company, this should work out well. Sega Sammy seems like it allows it's sub companies to do what they want with little overhead.
If Sega Sammy doesn't interfere, I'm sure Atlus will localize content at a similar rate as they did before.
Oh thank the gods! That sounds much better. I will keep my fingers crossed that you are correct, Dragmire.