Sega Confirms Sonic Unleashed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sega Confirms Sonic Unleashed

Sega [http://www.sega.com]has officially announced the latest chapter in the Sonic the Hedgehog saga, a new and unique high-speed journey around the globe called Sonic Unleashed.

The confirmation of the game follows a leak on Sega's FTP [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/82600] server in late March which first uncovered details of the upcoming game. Unconfirmed at the time, the Sonic Unleashed title has now been made official, although details of the game appear to be considerably different than those indicated by the leak. In the new game, Sonic will have to race against time and complete unique new challenges to collect the power of the chaos emeralds and reassemble the pieces of the world that have been broken apart by the evil Dr. Eggman.

Along with Sonic's trademark high-speeds, Sonic Unleashed will also feature combat options, new movement and functional abilities and changing day and night gameplay across the seven continents of the world. The proprietary new Hedgehog Engine upon which the game is built allows for seamless 3-D to "classic 2-D" camera transitions, impressive new lighting capabilities and other technology "tailor made for Sonic's new speed capabilities."

"It is an exciting time for the Sonic franchise as we look to reinvent our hero while staying true to the spirit of what made him an industry icon," said Sean Ratcliffe, Sega of America's vice president of marketing. "Sonic Unleashed will introduce a new, unexpected storyline along with innovative gameplay that compliments traditional skills and features, allowing players to experiment and engage in new ways."

Sonic Unleashed is currently in development for the Sonic Unleashed website [http://www.xbox.com].

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Well, surely it can't be any worse than the last game, right? Right?!
Come on Sega, do it properly this time, or stop butchering my childhood hero!

Nov 28, 2007
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
thebobmaster said:
It's gonna suck. They're putting in a storyline.
I think it actually looks quite promising. Certainly seems as if they've taken a step in the right direction with making Sonic Unleashed more 2D.
True, but why the storyline? Does Sonic really need one? Perhaps I was being melodramatic, but I am against Sonic having a deep storyline. It just doesn't work.bb

felltablet

Nov 12, 2007
thebobmaster said:
True, but why the storyline? Does Sonic really need one? Perhaps I was being melodramatic, but I am against Sonic having a deep storyline. It just doesn't work.bb
A deep storyline?
All your doing is stopping the big bad (who is the same villain) from destroying the world.

It wasn't story that ruined previous sonic games, it was the supplanting of story FOR gameplay.
This seems more of a return to form, than a reinvention.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
The storyline... is it that deep, really? It doesn't seem to go beyond the traditional rockman storyline, and just an excuse to play.
Oh, wait, "unexpected storyline"?
Oh well...

What worries me more is that I had the impression they made the character look like the old one, but apparently not, they're sticking with the kewl gum-body Sonic.
Besides this mere quible regarding charadesign, I still think it's going to be good. Well, I hope.
"...innovative gameplay that compliments traditional skills and features, allowing players to experiment and engage in new ways."
They say they're adding new abilities to Sonic. At last.

Nov 28, 2007
felltablet said:
thebobmaster said:
A deep storyline?
All your doing is stopping the big bad (who is the same villain) from destroying the world.

It wasn't story that ruined previous sonic games, it was the supplanting of story FOR gameplay.
This seems more of a return to form, than a reinvention.
That's what I'm afraid they're doing here with them saying that the storyline is "unexpected."

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Never played any of the new sonic games after adventure, but this one looks promising. Having watched the gameplay vid the 2d stuff looks quite fun. More like Sonic Rush but without the uncontrollably insane speed. I did like Sonic Rush but it was just too fast imo.

If they get this right it could be excellent...

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
Strafe Mcgee said:
If they get this right it could be excellent...
I got suggested this link at the bottom of a recent article, and boy. Hilarious in retrospect. Hilarious enough for thread necromancy!