Sega Coyly Announces XBLA/SEN Jet Grind Radio

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sega Coyly Announces XBLA/SEN Jet Grind Radio

Despite attempts to be mysterious, Sega's latest announcement is pretty blatantly a reveal of an upcoming Jet Grind Radio port.

A few hours ago, a wordless post appeared on Sega's official blog under the vague title "Guess Who's Back?" The post's sole content was a 21-second video, which you can now see embedded at top-right.

The clip reiterates the post's grammatically baffling title, hints at a Dreamcast game being brought to the Xbox Live Arcade and erstwhile PlayStation Network, and features a simple, familiar logo, all backed by the kind of upbeat hip hop/techno miasma that was so popular with the company at the turn of the century.

Though the video fails to mention exactly what game it's promoting, the musical accompaniment should be recognizable to fans of Sega's Dreamcast offerings, and that logo at the end (which can also be seen in this fan-made image by DeviantArt user IronYaya [http://ironyaya.deviantart.com/art/Jet-Set-Radio-87168290]) cements the mystery game as none other than 2000's Jet Grind Radio.

Unfortunately, the video lacks any solid info on this XBLA/SEN iteration of the game. We're offered no release date, no price tag, nor even word on what new features the game might see in its upcoming form.

Though, given how things worked out the last time Sega pulled a stunt like this (for the XBLA/SEN release of Daytona USA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113618-Revived-Daytona-USA-Coming-To-PSN-XBLA]), I'd hazard a guess that Jet Grind Radio will be appearing within the next month.

At least that's my hope, as Jet Grind Radio is all kinds of awesome.

Source: Sega Blog [http://blogs.sega.com/2012/02/23/guess-whos-back/]

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
No word of a steam release like previous Dreamcast re-releases?

You can't tell me they think Sega Bass Fishing and Space channel five part 2 would sell more than Jet set (Rule Britannia!) radio.

The Hot Sauce Thief

Nov 14, 2010
I'll pretty happy if this is actually Jet Grind Radio

Also, anyone know the differences between the games (jet set radio future, jet grind radio etc.)
I've only played jet set radio future so I don't really know about the other games...

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I'll probably get this. Certainly more of a cult classic to me than Daytona.

But if Sega really wanted to please me, they'd get Toy Commander on the XBLA.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Bobic said:
No word of a steam release like previous Dreamcast re-releases?

You can't tell me they think Sega Bass Fishing and Space channel five part 2 would sell more than Jet set (Rule Britannia!) radio.
That was my first reaction too. A couple seconds later my second reaction was that maybe it's not so bad if there isn't a PC version, because while that would mean I can't play it, it would also mean they can't completely butcher it like all the other ones. The Steam version of Sonic Adventure DX actually has worse textures than the GC version somehow, and a lot of people have had a pretty miserable time getting a lot of the games to run, along with the fairly awful config options and bizarre/limited resolution choices available. It's kind of nice that there is a PC version of some of them, but it'd be even nicer if they didn't half-ass it so much.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Woohoo! I played a bit of it a while ago (demo) and thought it was pretty damn good. Quite unique too.

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
I can't wait. I'm hopping for a spray paint can prop for an avatar award or even beats shirt or pants. So much could happen

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Jet Set Radio Future was the tits, but I never played this game so I'll be looking forward to it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
the hot sauce thief said:
I'll pretty happy if this is actually Jet Grind Radio

Also, anyone know the differences between the games (jet set radio future, jet grind radio etc.)
I've only played jet set radio future so I don't really know about the other games...
Jet Set Radio = Jet Grind Radio just different region names, same with Jet Set Radio Future = Jet Grind Radio Future.
JSR is the first game while JSRF is the second game.

OT: Its nice to see a game I love to death, but I really would like to see a new installment in the franchise.

Apr 28, 2008
Oh please let it have the original music. Oh please god don't have them cut out any music like they did with All I Want with the re-release of Crazy Taxi.

DreamingMacaron

Aug 17, 2011
Whether it's a port of the first game or an entirely new game, I'm excited! (Though if it's a port of the second game, not so much excited.)

EDIT: Geez I'm dumb, they say it right there: "the next Dreamcast game on XBLA and PSN." It's obviously a port of the first game, and that is hella exciting yaaaaaay.

And as the poster above me said, I hope it has all the original music. Also, as the poster below me said, I hope they fix the controls. Using the same button for both spraying paint and controlling the camera was a bad move.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
If they add in camera control to the right analogue stick, this game will officially ascend to being beyond this realm. Playing it recently on the Dreamcast, it's still absolutely incredible, but camera control would remove the only flaw this game had.
I'd love them to add JSRF to PSN at some point too if possible, I never got to play that game.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Fawxy said:
Put it on the vita and I will literally buy 10 copies.
It'll be on SEN, which means it'll be on the Vita.

With that said...
Dear Sega,
Just stick with releasing your Dreamcast classics on XBLA and SEN and I'll be happy.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I've only played the sequel, so playing the first one should be cool.

Also, Wikipedia says that Jet Grind Radio is actually different from Jet Set Radio, having more content and the ability to connect to the Internet. Can anyone confirm how useful/noticeable this is?

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
Haha that's nutty... I put this game at the top of my list of games that needed a re-release a few weeks ago on these forums :X

Hmm okay... I NEED A MILLION DOLLARS!

sooperman said:
I've only played the sequel, so playing the first one should be cool.

Also, Wikipedia says that Jet Grind Radio is actually different from Jet Set Radio, having more content and the ability to connect to the Internet. Can anyone confirm how useful/noticeable this is?
Yes Jet Grind Radio had a few new characters and several levels that took place in America as well as a a slightly more cohesive story over all. It wasn't a massive difference as the core game was the same, but Jet Grind Radio was a little better than Jet Set.