Sega Punches Max Anarchy Until It Becomes Anarchy Reigns

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sega Punches Max Anarchy Until It Becomes Anarchy Reigns

Sega has unveiled a first look at the MadWorld studio's next take on a violent brawler, and it's definitely going to be bloody.

Platinum Games' Max Anarchy, recently revealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107283-MadWorlds-Jack-Fires-Up-His-Chainsaw-for-Max-Anarchy] in the pages of Famitsu, is getting a name change for its release in other regions. Sega is publishing the game as Anarchy Reigns outside of Japan.

The change of name isn't big news in and of itself, so thankfully along with the change Sega released a small set of screenshots showing off what Anarchy Reigns will look like. It features Jack from Platinum's MadWorld [http://www.amazon.com/MadWorld-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0019SY1D4] for a reason.

[gallery=108]

One of the screens shows Jack tearing into an enemy with his chainsaw as lots of gooey blood pours out. Notably, Jack is full of color in Anarchy Reigns, whereas in MadWorld he was only shown in black-and-white.

The other two screens show another playable character that evidently hasn't been talked about yet. She's dressed in a futuristic suit of white body armor and appears to control some sort of giant crystal weapon. It's a big change from Jack, so Anarchy Reigns will probably have a varied cast of playable characters. The screens feature enemies that range from humans in hockey masks wielding flaming clubs to huge mechs, also showing a variety in the foes players will face.

Anarchy Reigns is billed as a unique multiplayer brawler. Sega says it will "challenge the boundaries of the conventional brawler genre" through online multiplayer modes like Tag Team and Battle Royale, but Famitsu revealed it will have a single-player story mode as well. It basically looks like MadWorld with online multiplayer, which could be quite enjoyable. Before its fall 2011 release on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Sega will likely give us a better idea of how everything ties together.

Update: Now there's a trailer too. Very MadWorld.

Source: Sega Blog [http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/01/27/sega-and-platinumgames-reveal-anarchy-reigns/]

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Looks like MadWorld with more colours and multiplayer.

Not that's a bad thing, of course.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Snap. Even if this ends up simply sticking to Madworlds formula (Gameplay-wise) I aint complaining! Game was a blood blast....quite literally on the bloody part. :p

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I can't believe I'M saying this, but I preferred the black and white scheme to color. It looks a bit too much like Borderlands with a full palette.

That said, Max fighting what looks like a Chaos Space Marine looks cool.

Nero Haven

Jan 14, 2011
I don't get why subtle name changes are needed for other regions. I didn't understand End of Eternity being changed to Resonance of Fate, and I don't understand this change either. I usually like the first name more.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
I know it's early, but this looks really, really dumb so far. Considering that Platinum Games is coming off of such a stellar year with Vanquish and Bayonetta, this doesn't look that interesting.

Demoliboy2

Dec 21, 2009
Wel it's good to have a new "MadWorld" (i freaking loved the original), i ain't really liking the new artstyle, it makes it kinda... bland. Plus, Jack looks really different, kinda less badass if you will

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
Dayum! Look at the size of dat ass in pic 2. Will we be able to choose our character, or will it switch off like Dante & Nero in DMC4?