Sega Puts a Stop to Streets of Rage Fan Game

gussy1z

Aug 8, 2008
Its harsh that the developers thought they had written permission to go ahead with this project for the last 8 years, just for Sega to change there minds. IT's not as if anyone's making money if it. My only thought is that maybe sega themselves are in the middle of making a new streets of rage game.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
gussy1z said:
Its harsh that the developers had written permission to go ahead with this project for the last 8 years, just for Sega to change there minds. IT's not as if anyone's making money if it. My only thought is that maybe sega themselves are in the middle of making a new streets of rage game.
I, too, remember this. That blows hard.

Anyways, I started lurking around a few moments ago and quickly found a days' old download link. Now I'm waiting for the whooping 275m file to finish 'loading (hopefully it's not some killer virus, or something), to see what got SEGA's panties in a bunch so much.

I wasn't even gonna do it until I found out that the version they cancelled, 5.0 was the very last one. The game was done. Finished. After 8 years the project, which had been called an obsession by many, was finally over; so, I was like "Fuck it," and went to see what was up.

Either way, the gig is up for SEGA on this thing. They had 8 years to act and decided to get testy when all was said and done and the game was finished and out in the open. If I could easily find it on my own, just some days removed from them turning the hammer on the devs, I can tell in no uncertain terms that it will only get worse for them. What they managed was to give Bombergames free advertising and swell interest for the project.

My parting words would be that I'm pretty sure that SEGA's legal department must be filled with dummies.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Quite literally, this is spilled milk. This is the internet circa 2011, Sega, The link was up long enough to be downloaded thousands of times. Trying to contain this won't work terribly well. In fact, it might kind of backfire given all the publicity SoRR is now receiving.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Iglock said:
Why?
They're not making any money from it- if anything it's free advertising.

Dick move, Sega.
This.

if you can argue it's an improvement, criticism or parody of the orginal, then sega can't do anything about it, take it to court.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's always a head slapping dilemma when the fans create a better version of a classic game than the original creators do; and the original creators pull the plug to retain copyright enforcement.

Bet Sega was feeling pretty salty when they found out about that fangame.

lettri

Oct 17, 2010
Stupid SEGA. They let them finish it on purpose, and sue them only later, what? Why? They should have responded to the e-mails! Bastards!

Rabarberskurk

Mar 31, 2010
Gennadios said:
I would like to thank Bit Torrent for making the download possible and for Sega being douches for letting me me know the game existed.

Forget Sega getting publicity, SORR will get more downloads this way than the devs could have hoped to otherwise.
The streisand effect truly is wonderful, isn't it?

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
ArmorArmadillo said:
True Nero said:
i never really understood the things that Sega does. i mean, you've got a fanbase bigger than the entire population of Canada even though you CONSTANTLY disappoint us with horrible Sonic games and other lack luster wastes of time. and so when a bunch of rabid fans try to pay homage to their childhood and how awesome Sega is, LAWYERS AWAY!

seriously, Sega doesn't seem to give a crap about their fans at all. hell, you look at any other developer out there right now, and they would be ecstatic to see fans do all this work. having fans show that you guys are doing something right. not only that, but having fans be so motivated to make something like this Streets of Rage fan-game, it's a sign that you guys really made an impression on someone.

this is the same thing that Sega did to YTMND with all the sega parodies. they should feel honored that people love them so much even though all they do is practically everything but punch us all in the face individually. it's like they live to destroy.
Again, its an unfortunate aspect of copyright law (and probably one of its bigger flaws) that you are obligated to go after known copyright infringements or you risk losing any claim to them.
yes, i will admit, copyright laws are there for reasons. but this isn't like they were trying to steal anything and there is such a thing as "having a sense of humor". companies have a choice not to file these complaints. look at nintendo and how many parodies there are of that. look at sony and see how many parodies there are of that. look at legend of zelda, metal gear solid, half life 2, portal, halo, everything. these are all companies that understand that by letting the fans show their support, it may open up a whole new market base. people who have never played halo or call of duty might see a fan video based on it, become interested and try it out.

now im not saying it should be ok, but i honestly don't see a problem if no profit is involved. and this isn't the first time that Sega has taken something way too seriously.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Fronzel said:
As usual, lawyers make the world a darker, colder place.
We have to, for soon we will be sent to a brighter, hotter place.

OT: It does really suck, but to be fair, IP laws require you to protect your IP, else you loose it.

Mar 26, 2008
I'm hoping this may be because Sega is working on Streets Of Rage 4, but given their track record with demolishing their own franchises I say leave it to the other guy.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I'm not sure about 'wasted'. At least they were smart enough to release it before pre-releasing it. So it's out there, people got it before SEGA C&Ded them... and it will live out there forever on teh interwebs. I see some active torrents for it.

The ones really wasting an opportunity here are SEGA. Did I say wasting? Pissing away.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Gave it a crack already, and it was awesome. It's got mad amounts of hard work; it still feels like a Streets of Rage game, but it is including multiple selectable characters (including Adam plus a few secret ones), redone soundtrack, redone levels, extra visual effects like transparencies, optional redone particle effects it seems, visual filtering, joypad support, unlockable extra mini-games including a freaking volleyball one, variable paths, bike chases (don't ask), 2-player coop, CPU-coop, what looks like leaderboards, etc.,...hell, there's even a level editor, from what I can gather--yes, a freaking level editor to make SOR levels... ...and a shop to buy stuff, kinda like MvC2, I think.

It does have a few odd shortcomings (it has crashed twice on me, but it stays mostly stable) but nothing that should be a deal breaker for anyone that would've been interested in a cool retro beat-em up.

Honestly, what the guys at Bombergames accomplished is nothing short of insane. It was a labor of love through and through, and a massive step forward from the previous version (which I also had the joy of playing at one point). Had the game have SEGA's marketing push, it would do freaking wonders for their reputation. The whole thing is that good. It, imho, easily blows away current professional offerings like Megaman 9 or 10, or any other retro inspired games these days, and this guys coded the entire thing on their own.

How hard can it be for SEGA to do the same as western companies? Take Bethesda for example, they left a bunch of tools laying around for gamers to fuck around with, and they're not suing anybody.

I understand if they want a cut of the whole thing, but the best way for them to do that would have been to just let the whole thing play out as it did, hire the devs, make a deal, and release an expanded, more polished version under their stead. Instead, they soured everyone's view of the whole thing.

What a sad waste...

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
fletch_talon said:
If the creators of these fan projects did the right thing and asked permission to use what doesn't belong to them then they wouldn't get all the way to the end of their project and be surprised when they're told to take it down.
But they DID ask permission from Sega before getting real about making this game, Sega didn't think they would get this far in the project probably so let them run loose (AKA Ignore them). Now that game released, they though:
Guy A: Oh, Shit, we shouldn't have let this happen, this are showing how horrible game makers we are.
Guy B:Let's sue them!
Guy C: But couldn't we work out a deal which benefits both sides? That way we would look less like jerks and making some money out of it.
Guy's Boss: You actually showed some clever thinking Guy C, so you are fired! We don't have such concept of good game making or clever ideas in here, we just want to make another shitty Sonic 3d plataform, this having a giant gay pink T-Rex as a Sonic friend.

Now, go searching before going all jerk over it, your troll.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Diablo2000 said:
But they DID ask permission from Sega before getting real about making this game, Sega didn't think they would get this far in the project probably so let them run loose (AKA Ignore them). Now that game released, they though:
Guy A: Oh, Shit, we shouldn't have let this happen, this are showing how horrible game makers we are.
Guy B:Let's sue them!
Guy C: But couldn't we work out a deal which benefits both sides? That way we would look less like jerks and making some money out of it.
Guy's Boss: You actually showed some clever thinking Guy C, so you are fired! We don't have such concept of good game making or clever ideas in here, we just want to make another shitty Sonic 3d plataform, this having a giant gay pink T-Rex as a Sonic friend.

Now, go searching before going all jerk over it, your troll.
You suggest I get my facts straight and call me a troll...
Can you spell hypocrite?
Better yet, can you read the following paragraph?

fletch_talon said:
EDIT: Rereading suggests they had contacted Sega. If they were truly given permission to make and distribute (without charge) the game, then I'd say they should refuse to remove it. I think its more likely however that they misconstrued "yes you can make it" as "feel free to make it available to the whole internet".
That edit was added almost immediately after I posted as I realised my mistake. So unless you've been sitting with my post quoted in your "Reply to Thread" box since somewhere around 12:15am this morning (AEST) then you don't have an excuse for insulting me or otherwise making a fool of yourself.

For your benefit, I'll repeat.
If they asked Sega if they could use AND distribute (please note the bold) their copyrighted material, then they should feel free to keep it up.
If however they just asked to use it, and did not dscuss distribution, then they havn't got a leg to stand on and they should have seen this coming.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Thankfully, I already have the game, and the UGC, so I'm covered.

Not too smart a move by SEGA. By doing this, all they're doing is encouraging people to find copies of the fan game instead of buying games from them.

And I'm quite sure the thing has spread so far that it's impossible now to remove it fully from the web.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
So much for user-made content seeing the light of day. Thousands will never know the joy of kicking a bulldozer to a stop.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I loose all respect for a game company when its large enough to have a live-in Legal Team.