Sega Releasing Game Gear Titles For 3DS

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Sega Releasing Game Gear Titles For 3DS

Sega's gonna be kicking it old school on Nintendo's new handheld console.

When I was growing up, the Game Gear was the super-cool portable console that only the super-rich kids were able to afford. I made due with a Game Boy, but I always yearned for Sega's impressive system. Now, of course, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Game-Gear-Portable-Video-System/dp/B000GSQ6QS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299188973&sr=8-1>I could buy a Game Gear for a pittance, or I could just wait until Sega starts releasing its old games for the 3DS.

Yesterday, Sega revealed that it's got five Game Gear titles coming to the system's Virtual Console service. As of right now, the publisher's got Sonic & Tails 2, Sonic Drift 2, Shinobi (the GG version), Dragon Crystal Shirani's Maze, and Columns. According to Andriasang, no price point or official release date has been announced yet.

I can't say that I'm terribly surprised by this revelation, since Sega's been releasing a slew of old titles as DLC on services like Xbox Live, Virtual Console, and the PlayStation Network (though it's probably for the best if we pretend that Sonic Adventure never saw the light of day). That said, it certainly sounds like the 3DS will have a ton of great games available for download.

Source: Andriasang via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-03-sega-reveals-game-gear-3ds-vc-lineup>Eurogamer

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah, pretty sure that's supposed to be Sonic & Tails 2.

OT: Meh. I played a lot of old Game Gear games as part of Sonic Adventure DX and a couple other random compilations. Maybe it was just the ones I played, but...they weren't too fun. =/

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
King Of The Bears said:
Oooh, that gives me a bit of reason to consider buying a 3DS now..
Do you hate your eyes that much?

OT: This is Nintendos "free money" play.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Color me bleh, the game gear's graphics potential is below the 16 bit consoles and there are few, if any, noteworthy titles in its catalog.

NOW if Sega finnaly got to the Genesis, Sega CD and Saturn catalog...

m@

Aug 10, 2009
PAH i still have my game gear why'd i need to buy a 3ds to play games i've got :D

not that i won't buy a 3DS or inevitably buy shinobi (best game ever!)damn you Nintendo and you Sega

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
So what's the point in releasing Game Gear games if the 3DS could easily handles the more superior versions of these games? Game Gear exclusives I could understand, but still.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
ya? WHY CAN'T I PLAY THEM ON A REGULAR F-ING GAME BOY DS?! FFFFFFFFFUUUUUU

On another much more calm note, the only game i remember realy playing on the ds was a power ranger game, and i LOVED it for the whole 30 mins untel the battery dies and i need to buy more batters

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
It's a shame the game gear versions of all the Sega games were terrible.

Although I love it when they release old games. Keepin' the scene alive. Still not getting a 3ds on release though, Did that with the DS and I still have my gigantic bulky silver monster, while all the cool kids have space age ds' that shoot magic kittens on voice commands

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
As much as I like to see old systems kept alive like this, I'll agree, the game gear had little going for it worth hanging on to that wasn't done on the genesis.

Now if it was some of the Saturn games that didn't make it to playstation, I'd be happy.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Garak73 said:
I just can't understand people dropping $250 for a handheld to play Game Boy color and Game Gear games on. People didn't even pay that much to play those games when they were new! Also, back then you actually got a cartridge that you could play in any GBC/Game Gear (ie, your games weren't locked to your handheld).
It's simply a bonus. Not everyone has their original hardware anymore, and maybe their cartridges battery can no longer keep data.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Dude, fuckin' why? I had a Game Gear, it was fun.......... but stop re-releasing title please. It's very annoying. Did you fire all of your developers? Were you forced to sell off all your modern licenses?

Seriously, innovate or die please. These titles weren't exactly 5 star titles back in the day, and they won't be now, with their completely and utterly dated everything.

"Let's take the newest most powerful handheld ever seen in the videogame community and stuff titles that are 15 years old on it. Why enhance the graphics? They were perfectly awesome looking back then. New gameplay elements? But I thought they were perfect as is".

If they try to make them 3D, we are talking the worlds biggest headache on top of that.