Sega Reveals Aliens: Colonial Marines Minimum Requirements

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sega Reveals Aliens: Colonial Marines Minimum Requirements

If you want to go bug hunting on your PC, this is what you'll need.

On special days of the month we like to present you with the minimum system requirements for PC versions of mid-range games you may or may not care about. We call them "slow news days," and on this, the second Monday in January, I come to you with just the thing: The minimum system requirements for Aliens: Colonial Marines. Drop your linen and stop your grinnin', because we're on an express elevator to the relevant information!

Minimum Spec:

CPU: 2 GHz Intel Dual Core Processor
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: 256 MB Nvidia GeForce 8500 or AMD Radeon HD 2600

Recommended Spec:

CPU: 2.3 GHz Intel Quad Core Processor
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: 512 MB Nvidia GeForce GTX-560 or AMD Radeon HD 5850

Along with the above, you'll also require Windows XP SP3 or higher, a DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and a connection to the internet to activate the game on Steam. Speaking of Steam, the game is available to pre-purchase now on the Colonial Marines game page [http://store.steampowered.com/app/49540/].

Aliens: Colonial Marines comes out on February 12 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Kinitawowi said:
Andy Chalk said:
Fuck that. I'm buying a disc from a shop, not a forced downloader interface.
Probably wont help. When I bought Duke Nukem (gods forgive me for that mistake) the only information the disc had was an install of steam... so I can go download it from the internet.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I actually did not expect the Min. Req. to be so low. That`s means I can play it on some good medium settings.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Min requirement is a WiiU. Because motion sensor on the gamepad. No other reason for an aliens game. Because motion sensor. On gamepad.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Sleekit said:
xbox 360 and PS3 are old, old tech and as long as they keep aiming games at them (360 runs DirectX 9.0c Xan Krieger) PC owners get off easy (as long as people don't conspire to deliberately screw us).

my PC is gawd knows how old and worth next to nothing (3GHz Dual Core, 8 GB ram) but still blows even the recommended specs for this out the water.

we're in the pipe, five by five.
Point of note. Minimum specs are always piss low for pc games, even some of the prettiest games around. Why? Because minimum specs are absolute bullshit.

There's no actual criteria for what counts as minimum specs. In some games minimum means you can play at the lowest settins and get at least 30 fps. In other games it means that if you reach minimum specs you'll get sub 10 fps normally.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Sleekit said:
shintakie10 i didn't even mention minimum specs and i'm not really getting your angle here...

my only point was that games made to run on 360/PS3 are pretty damn easy to get to run "well enough" on a decidedly average and/or old PC which is great especially in this case as i rather like Aliens and wouldn't mind picking this game up.

i've never bought a game released for "Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC." i couldn't run beautifully and at this point both my processor and gfx card etc are 5 years old.
My computer is actually 3 years old, I just chose to have windows XP on it instead of windows 7 since I have a lot of old games and didn't know at the time how to make games from the mid and late 90s work on windows 7. I figure I'll upgrade it this year though.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Draconalis said:
Probably wont help. When I bought Duke Nukem (gods forgive me for that mistake) the only information the disc had was an install of steam... so I can go download it from the internet.
Ditto. And Doom BFG.

Need For Speed: Most Wanted did the same thing with EA's Origin system - except that a screw up with the registration process meant that the game wouldn't run for two hours. If these dicks are going to sell a boxed product with a disc in it, I don't think it's unreasonable for the disc to contain a self-sufficient set of assets to run the product on its own; otherwise, why are they even bothering with a physical distribution process at all?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ok so not only does my pc leave the recommended specs eating dust, but even my laptop could play it without noticing... and people wonder why the 360 and PS3 are considered slow and old...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Draconalis said:
thats concerning.....

its been that way for a long time, if a game is on steam then th disk version has little difference..

excpet most of the time when I buy a game at least 90% of the data is on the disk aside from some updates....in my case downloading 10gb or more for a game just isnt feasable

Apr 28, 2008
Vault101 said:
Draconalis said:
thats concerning.....

its been that way for a long time, if a game is on steam then th disk version has little difference..

excpet most of the time when I buy a game at least 90% of the data is on the disk aside from some updates....in my case downloading 10gb or more for a game just isnt feasable
That happened to me with Civ V. Some games default to downloading, even when you have the disk. Which is stupid as hell. To get it to install from the disk you need to run the setup.exe directly from the disk.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok all that remans now is for the game to be good then we have a buy.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Sleekit said:
xbox 360 and PS3 are old, old tech and as long as they keep aiming games at them (360 runs DirectX 9.0c Xan Krieger) PC owners get off easy (as long as people don't conspire to deliberately screw us).

my PC is gawd knows how old and worth next to nothing (3GHz Dual Core, 8 GB ram) but still blows even the recommended specs for this out the water.

we're in the pipe, five by five.
Point of note. Minimum specs are always piss low for pc games, even some of the prettiest games around. Why? Because minimum specs are absolute bullshit.

There's no actual criteria for what counts as minimum specs. In some games minimum means you can play at the lowest settins and get at least 30 fps. In other games it means that if you reach minimum specs you'll get sub 10 fps normally.
And sometimes optimisation can and WILL fuck you around. Case in point:

My pc is currently not high spec, I run an E5700 Pentium-Dual Core with a tiny overclock (no room in the case for better cooling so I can't squeeze much) and an HD 4770.

I can run Sleeping Dogs at a stable 40-50fps on low settings and a stable 35-40 on mediumish.
I run Skyrim on medium-high with the draws for things like grass particles at low settings.
I manage Crysis, Crysis 2, Bad Company 2, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, etc all just fine with solid 30 or solid 60 on lower settings.

GTA IV on absolute minimum manages a benchmark of 31fps average and in game runs more like 10.

The recommended settings are sometimes off too, I tend to check game-debate six months after stuff comes out to see how well it works on mid-end hardware or my ancient hunk of scrap.