Sega Says No Valkyria Chronicles III For Western Gamers

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
joshuaayt said:
Did VCII receive any western advertisement beyond word of mouth? I don't remember it doing so. Seems like that might have bolstered sales some.
That, right there, is the problem. VC 1 did great ONLY because word of mouth, as there was nothing in TV, official games magazines, etc. It could be said the amazon sale has more effect on the sales of VC 1 that all the effort SEGA put in it (which wasn't much).

Sega as a publisher seems to have a lot of problems advertising games that don't have blue hedgehogs in them... Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Vanquish and Bayonetta are all examples of great franchises that fail in sales in the west because SEGA doesn't know what to do with them, and doesn't care that only a few hardcore gamers give a damn...

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Rarhnor said:
sheah1 said:
Rarhnor said:
Yeeah...

We ship Gears 3 to an almost Xbox360 dry region, but we don't get YOUR 3rd installation for Valkeryia Chronicles.

'Logics: Japan edition'

Edit: Not to mention that VCII was on a different platform.
More "logics: America edition" (shipping out a game that won't sell is pretty damn stupid, ain't it?) and why do people keep saying that last bit? VC III is on the PSP. Just look at that screenshot, it's kind of obviously a PSP shot.

OT: I did my part damn you! I bought it on the day of release! Burn you heathens! Burn!
The 1st VC did good, because it was good. The 2nd did bad, because it was bad. The 3rd is looking good, so it should definitely be able to sell.
It's just a stubborn company that wants both paper AND plastic, but without the cost.

And I deleted that last part, before i left the thread. I had my mind elsewhere at that time.
I'm pretty sure I read it wrong anyway so no worries. But why do people insist the second VC was bad? I really enjoyed it, but um.....

I never played the first.
I'm so sorry. Please don't judge me. I want to buy it ASAP but I'm only ever in the mood for it when I'm countries away from an English game shop, I'm sorry I'm sorry I'M SORRY!

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
sheah1 said:
I'm so sorry. Please don't judge me. I want to buy it ASAP but I'm only ever in the mood for it when I'm countries away from an English game shop, I'm sorry I'm sorry I'M SORRY!

I thought were different...not like the others.

hideomgskojima

Dec 1, 2008
I loved Valkyria Chronicle's, I bought it, played it, loved it... THEN the "gods" who have forsaken us by taking away your precious 3rd sequel released the 2nd game on the damn PSP, as if to say "if you want this game, go out and spend £100.00-ish on a handheld that is pretty rubbish but will sell more if you buy it to play this ONE GAME". So please tell me why the hell they took the series away from the Big black monolith that we gather round each night to pay homage to the gods of gaming, to a smaller version, which is sort of like this: Big Bible in your home (if you are a religious person, or just have one knocking about to read and laugh at the insane pipe dream that is contained within) then finding that there is more to it, that has recently been brought out! Then you find out that it is instead a smaller amended version that is akin to the gideons bibles in hotel rooms, smaller, not as good, fits in a pocket uncomfortably and can't be used in emergencies to stun burglars effectively. They moved the franchise from a good base console that you could sit around and enjoy, to a handheld that has you straining to see details, Strategy needs a big-ish screen.

Rant over... Oh and screw you SEGA, Screw YOU, for being dick-bags.

I know you didnt call them gods, but what the heck, SEGA are gods, but even a benevolent one must be absolutely horrible somtimes, this seems like one of those times.

EDIT: Sega seem to remind me of the Chaos gods, brilliant sometimes, absolutely horrible the next... I'm looking at you Tzeentch changer of ways...

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Its the psp, im not buying it for a handful of games, even if the greatest game ever was on it.

And really its kinda odd not localising the games, i thought that was a pratice that had stopped years ago.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Rarhnor said:
sheah1 said:

I thought were different...not like the others.
I'm... I'm so sorry it's just.... I was too young to fully comprehend the demo and.... and now it's off the PSN store and, and.....

Though to be honest I don't think I'd have been able to enjoy it if not for II, it sort of broke me into the SRPG dealio, with its bite-sizieness an' all.

emechbjm

Jun 8, 2010
I brought my PSP (and have kept it) JSUT FOR VC2 (and the hope of 3)! All you "put in on ps3" are right but to ignore a great game because its on a different console..bah. Just like most of you will miss out on xenoblade becasue its on the wii. You buy the GAME and the systems that let you play that game (system fanboys make me shake my head). Personally I like that I can play VC on the PS3 at home and stay in the same universe on the bus (the art style scales well to the small screen) Still - Sega should PSN it if nothing else (to avoid manufacturing/distribution costs) and YOU should go buy PSP - VC2, Persona 3, MGS:peacewalker, Jeanne d;arc, ZHP.... its the great machine for portable RPG goodness.......

Akyho

Nov 28, 2010
The op is too full of sarcasm to follow properly.

VC 1 sold so much was because it was on the ps3. I baught it and loved it. I had PS3 at the time was excited for 2 then it was said would be psp only. I dont have one want one but dont have one.

So I never baught it. And while I am sad VC3 wont get an english release. I still wouldnt get to play it.

Its the fault of sony for switching to PSP when it was PS3 hit.

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
emechbjm said:
I brought my PSP (and have kept it) JSUT FOR VC2 (and the hope of 3)! All you "put in on ps3" are right but to ignore a great game because its on a different console..bah. Just like most of you will miss out on xenoblade becasue its on the wii. You buy the GAME and the systems that let you play that game (system fanboys make me shake my head). Personally I like that I can play VC on the PS3 at home and stay in the same universe on the bus (the art style scales well to the small screen) Still - Sega should PSN it if nothing else (to avoid manufacturing/distribution costs) and YOU should go buy PSP - VC2, Persona 3, MGS:peacewalker, Jeanne d;arc, ZHP.... its the great machine for portable RPG goodness.......
Here here! I imported Jeanne D'Arc as it's not on sale here in the UK and I loved it to death! Same again with Knights in the nightmare too (which I prefer over Final Fantasy Tactics anyway)
The PSP really is a vastly underrated system for the more complex strategy RPG with plenty of unique and exclusive titles.
And seriously people, what's with the hate for the Playstation portable people? Granted if you've tried it for a few hours then you've reason enough to fire up your opinion of it. But I look at some comments that seemingly diss the PSP on principle alone, without the hint of solid reasoning why it should be ignored and shunned.

This really is a kick in the teeth Sega, I'm very disappointed indeed. I'd rather see the VC series continuously released on any of Sony's systems than opposed to none at all...those who live outside of Japan in this case it seems.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I'm very saddened by this. I bought and loved VC 1 and 2.

Though, I have to admit, it's low sales should not have been surprising given its shift to the PSP AND the extremely bad (lack-of) marketing. Sega's marketing department sucks. I wouldn't have known VC 2 came out if I hadn't pre-ordered the game.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Or you could release it on an actual console instead of a goddam handheld. Releasing the sequel for a game on a separate system, and not the original, is just a dick move. Yea, I get that handhelds are really popular in Japan, but expecting that same ridiculous business model to work world wide is just stupid.

EDIT- Oh, and something else I see someone brought up that I am noticing a lot with Eastern games....why the hell do you expect your games to sell when you don't put out for any marketing?! Christ, I didn't even know VC2 came out until a month after the fact. There are ofcourse exceptions, but I'd say the majority have a pretty abysmal marketing strategy, outside of Japan ofcourse.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
It's the PSP and a bad game no wonder no one bought it....
I'll bet anything you barely even looked at the game much less played it so keep the ignorance to yourself.

Ironically I was just about to buy VC 2 when I saw this. o_O

Sep 30, 2010
I actually own a PSP, maybe I should run out and buy VC2. It may be nice to use the thing for something other than MGS: Peace Walker.
Of course then if I like it I'll want VC3...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It needed to be on the PS3 (even if the first game seemed to have a very handholdy game design)

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I really wanted to play this series.

But I don't own a PS3 or a PSP.

Their fault for not releasing it on any of the other systems (360, Wii, DS, 3DS, PC) that I own.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
I bought a goddamn PSP only for VC2 and VC3 and now you tell me I wont get it?
DAMN YOU SEGA! DAMN YOU!

And I finally thought they were on the right track again after Valcyria Chronicles came. *sigh*

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Well this sucks, although I'm not surprised. The reason VC2 shifted over to the PSP was because VC1 didn't do that well on PS3 so they cut their losses and went with a cheaper and more accessible system. VC2 could have been better, but I enjoyed it and 3 looked a whole lot better.

What I don't get with these devs when they pull this shit is why don't they just cut out the busy work of re-dubbing the damn game and just translate all the text? Dump it on the PSN as a download and BAM!! done. You save yourself a lot of money by not hiring English voice actors, no shipping or packaging, ect... Most people who are even interested in these games don't care if the dialogue is in Japanese, as long as they can read the text and subtitles they are happy. It's an easy and cheap solution where they have very little to lose.

I really really REALLY wanna play FF Type-0 and SE might even pull the same argument Sega is pulling. All they need to do is the above stated and is cuts down on costs and possibly gives them less retarded excuse not to release a greatly desired game in other regions.

Oh and nice to see all the absurd and petty PSP hate, because it seems I have fallen through a time warp back to 2006. I mean damn, some of the stupid crap I see is just getting tiresome and just goes to show how under appreciated the system is.