Sega Says No Valkyria Chronicles III For Western Gamers

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Hey hey hey, I bought VC 1 and went to town on it! The reason why i didnt get 2 is because the psp is assballs.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I am also in the "if it had been ported to PS3 I would've bought it" crowd. I hunted down the original as soon as I got a PS3. Even drove out of my way to find a shop with it.

...Still need to finish it. The climbing difficulty curve was getting to me.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Shame I really liked both of the games but the move to the PSP system was unusual it still worked well as a game even if the story wasn't as good but wasn't it clear that system jumping was always going to cause a seperation in the fanbase that resulted in worse sales? Especially when the PS3 game looked so much damn prettier?

Regrettably I don't know shit about speaking/reading Japanese so I can't play this game now.

EDIT: I'm surprised at all the hate for the PSP here, I think it's a decent system (regrettably with only one analogue) with some great games for playing co-op with friends.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
It's the PSP and a bad game no wonder no one bought it....
I'll bet anything you barely even looked at the game much less played it so keep the ignorance to yourself.

Ironically I was just about to buy VC 2 when I saw this. o_O
I have played it they fcked over the story big time felt more like an alt universe thing that was just pooped out.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
ZippyDSMlee said:
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
It's the PSP and a bad game no wonder no one bought it....
I'll bet anything you barely even looked at the game much less played it so keep the ignorance to yourself.

Ironically I was just about to buy VC 2 when I saw this. o_O
I have played it they fcked over the story big time felt more like an alt universe thing that was just pooped out.
The story was a bit silly how Galia is suddenly in civil war but overall I thought the game was good, when it comes to Valkyria Chronicles I'd say more of the focus is on the gameplay and that's where the meat of VC 2 is at.

nonl33t m4st3r

Oct 31, 2009
Wait, does the PSP have region coding? Handhelds usually don't, so couldn't you just import it? You'll probably need a translation guide, but that comes with the territory.

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
hermes200 said:
VC2 was released on a platform very few people give a damn about, and its not even the same platform of VC1. What did Sega expected?

Don't want to release it in America? Fine, then. It would sell like crap, anyways. You know why? Because they would still release it for a platform very few people give a damn about. Just don't come crying for your problems to us when you make poor business decisions to save money for Sonic XXVII...
Sega of Japan wanted to capitalize on VC's popularity in Japan as quickly as possible, and the best way to do that was to develop VC 2 on the PSP (which I think portables are popular than consoles in Japan). Granted, I agree with your viewpoint on the matter that Sega should have just released VC 2 & VC 3 on consoles, even though I own the first two Valkyria Chronicles games.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
it's all your fault.
Wow, what the fuck. Sega is pulling a Legends here? Fuck it.

Sega said:
Hey guys, you want a sequel to one of the best PS3 exclusives ever? Alright, well, instead of keeping it on a system people tend not to pirate on, we'll put it on a system 90% of the owners will admit to pirating, due to the ease of use and size of games. Oh what's that? The pirates didn't buy our games in large amounts? The story is predictible and cliched compared to the first? Oh, shit, well fuck you guys then. We'll keep our steampunk Wild Bunch and unique gameplay innovations to ourselves, fuck you guys. All you get is Sonic Generations.
Goddammit Sega. I want to love you for publishing Resonance of Fate, Bayonetta, Yakuza, and all that other good shit I haven't played, but fuck! You're breaking my balls here.

But develop a non-Kinect, non-Sonic game, and we'll see if I can let this slide. I even legally bought a physical copy of that clichefest that was VC II, so don't gimme that shit about not supporting it Sega. Fuck, I even bought Alpha Protocol for fuck's sake! Throw us a bone here!

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
-Seraph- said:
Oh and nice to see all the absurd and petty PSP hate, because it seems I have fallen through a time warp back to 2006. I mean damn, some of the stupid crap I see is just getting tiresome and just goes to show how under appreciated the system is.
I think it has more to do with how VC 2 was brought to the PSP (low-res graphics, somewhat altered control scheme, ect.) that had some people annoyed about the jump from PS3 to PSP, or at least that was the case for me.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
WHY DON'T THEY RELEASE IT ON A PLATFORM THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY USE THEN? LIKE, I DUNNO, WHAT'S THAT THING THEY RELEASED THE FIRST ONE ON AGAIN?

Honestly, what the hell are they doing?

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
coates32 said:
hermes200 said:
VC2 was released on a platform very few people give a damn about, and its not even the same platform of VC1. What did Sega expected?

Don't want to release it in America? Fine, then. It would sell like crap, anyways. You know why? Because they would still release it for a platform very few people give a damn about. Just don't come crying for your problems to us when you make poor business decisions to save money for Sonic XXVII...
Sega of Japan wanted to capitalize on VC's popularity in Japan as quickly as possible, and the best way to do that was to develop VC 2 on the PSP (which I think portables are popular than consoles in Japan). Granted, I agree with your viewpoint on the matter that Sega should have just released VC 2 & VC 3 on consoles, even though I own the first two Valkyria Chronicles games.
That is pretty much it in a nutshell. Funny thing is by trying to cash in on the popularity, they ended up sending the series to an early grave. Nothing they did made the series sell better in Japan; they've successively sold worse each time.

See Sega... the reason why the first game sold so well is because it was a good game. You didn't advertise, and word of mouth spread about the first because it was a GOOD game. The graphics and textures were impressive, the battles were epic, and the characters were sympathetic.

Every... single... one of those qualities you removed in the second one. Graphics are PSP-quality and the filters disappeared, the maps were sectioned and small, only 6 people were allowed on the maps at any time, only one tank, and you set it in a glorified HIGH SCHOOL. Then you add monotonous grinding to the upgrade system because you couldn't even leave the RPG aspect of the game alone and not Japanify it. It was a mess... a shallow, weak, fraction of what the original was.

I own it... and I can't even be motivated to get past April. I HATE everyone and their cliche schoolgirl anime TV tropes. It's like taking all the best parts of Valkyria Chronicles and replacing them with footage of Azumanga Daioh. Blah!

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
poiumty said:
And not a single fuck was given that day.

Seriously, if it was THAT good I'd have heard more about it.
It's Sega. They don't fucking advertise their games. Hell, Anarchy Reigns (MadWorld's "sequel") is releasing in January, and they've yet to talk about it for over a year. I accidentally stumbled on it again via TvTropes.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I confess to being unhappy about this on a lot of levels. I liked Valkyria Chronicles II quite a bit. I would have preferred they did III on a full-sized console (PS-3) though.

Truthfully, I suspect there might be more to this though. As I've mentioned in other posts, the motivations for game releases between Japan and the US/West are not always about business no matter what excuses are presented.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Delock said:
poiumty said:
And not a single fuck was given that day.

Seriously, if it was THAT good I'd have heard more about it.
It's Sega. They don't fucking advertise their games. Hell, Anarchy Reigns (MadWorld's "sequel") is releasing in January, and they've yet to talk about it for over a year. I accidentally stumbled on it again via TvTropes.
Wait, Madword is getting a sequel? Damn It Sega, lrn2adverstise

I almost missed out on playing Vanquish because of their horrible marketing

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Uhh.. Why cant they put it on a Digital Distribution service. Hire a company to do some english subs. And then push it out, if they hire the right guy it would take 500 bucks. Servers would only cost what was used aka there would be a guaranteed profit from there. After servercost we have to earn 500 bucks.. Nomatter how shit the game is and even if it is subtitles and translated menu's I dont see how 500 bucks cant be achieved. Aaaaand everything from there is profit. Youknow, if they put it on PC... Or PS3.. Or PS2.... Or Xbox.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I'm with the other intelligent people of this thread.

They're idiots if they simply assumed people didn't buy VC2 because no one liked it. It's because of the goddamn PSP. I absolutely fucking LOVED VC1. It is in my top 5 favourite games of all time. But when I saw VC2 was on the PSP I couldn't give a fuck (and I actually own a PSP).

When I'm commuting I don't whip out a handheld so I can be the ridicule of all on the bus, I listen to music on my iPod.
When I'm at home I'm playing PS3 on my nice, big (it's not really all that big, but still) television.

As far as I'm concerned, all handhelds are good for is Pokemon.