Sega Says No Valkyria Chronicles III For Western Gamers

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sega Says No Valkyria Chronicles III For Western Gamers

It looks like we won't be seeing the new Valkyria Chronicles game in the States, and it's all your fault.

Straight up, I kinda hate you guys sometimes. You kids with your MTV and your Facebook, you can't appreciate the truly good things in life. Things like Sega's gorgeous Valkyria Chronicles strategy-roleplaying series.

"Oh, but we do appreciate it Nex!" I hear you shouting at your monitor. No, obviously you don't. Otherwise Sega would be localizing Valkyria Chronicles III for the English-speaking world, instead of giving Japanese gamers one more awesome title to gloat about.

Gamespot reports:

During a recent interview in Singapore, Sega's team manager of console sales team Hiroshi Seno confirmed that the game would not be localized due to the PSP platform not being popular and well-liked in North America and Europe. He also said that localizing the title for English-speaking audience would require past games of that franchise to sell a particular amount of quantities; he added that Valkyria Chronicles II did not sell enough to justify localization costs.

Yeah, see? Sega would love to bring the game to the US, but you people didn't buy enough copies of Valkyria Chronicles II. Sega said, "hey guys, here's a rad new strategy game for the PSP," and I was like, "yay!" and you guys were like, "meh." and now I don't get to play the sequel.

"But Nex, it wasn't just us. There were probably lots of other people who ignored Valkyria Chronicles II also!" you mumble, shamed by your own indifference. Yes, probably, but I can't belittle them publicly, now can I?

It's like Edmond Burke never said, "The only thing necessary for Sega to totally ruin my day, is you jerks failing to buy their videogames."

I swear, this is just like the Dreamcast all over again.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/psp/strategy/valkyria-chronicles-iii-unrecorded-chronicles/news/6339405/valkyria-chronicles-iii-not-coming-to-us-and-europe]

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
FUCK. Why didn't I buy #2!!!! *Rushes out to get a copy*

Everyone else follow suit! FOR THE SAKE OF AWESOME GAMING!

Mark D. Stroyer

Apr 12, 2011
I'd just like everybody else to know that I did my part in going out and buying the second game.

...Even if I couldn't manage to actually play through more than two thirds of it.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I loved the first one, but come on....it's the PSP! Who the hell cares about it and who the hell actually owns one?

If they had released the second and third games on the PS3 I would happily buy them, but instead they release it on a useless handheld.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I bought both.

VC1 was awesome.

VC2 was... odd, but the gameplay was mostly intact.

VC3 looked like a return to form story-wise.

It saddens me that I won't be playing the third installment of the series.

...please release it on the psn at least... please Sega?

EDIT:

DasUberCow said:
Wait. VC3 is going to be on PS3 and they're basing this decision on the lack of VC2 sales which was on a different platform? Anyone else see the flaw in that logic?

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
It's the PSP and a bad game no wonder no one bought it....
The PSP isn't the best platform admittedly but a bad game?

You've got to be trolling.

Sad news would have quite liked to see another VC game as long as it was in PS3.

Mr.Speed

Mar 29, 2011
Wait what did i miss a game!

The first game is still in stores (Sweden) but not the sequel.

Me so sad!

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
JaredXE said:
I loved the first one, but come on....it's the PSP! Who the hell cares about it and who the hell actually owns one?

If they had released the second and third games on the PS3 I would happily buy them, but instead they release it on a useless handheld.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I liked the first one as well, gorgeous graphics and pretty fun gameplay and even if the story was cringe-worthy at times, it was a fun game overall.

Just like Jared, I'd most likely have bought the games, if it had been for a proper platform, seeing as I have absolutely no intention of buying a handheld for the foreseeable future.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
It's Ace Attorney Investigations 2 all over again!

Only this isn't a game I actually give a crap about!

...I can still be annoyed with the VC fans though, despite not being interested in the series myself.

It seems like events like this are sadly becoming more and more commonplace.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Aw, man.
I liked 2. Never played the first though, I lack the PS3 to do so.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I was planning on purchasing a copy of the second title once I got my hands on a Vita, seeing as I never bought a PSP. I still intend to, but I must admit to being somewhat less giddy about it now that I know I won't be enjoying the saga as a whole.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
This saddens me beyond belief I so love Valkyria Chronicles I think they messed up though when they put it on the psp. If they would have kept going on the ps3 I think it would sell pretty well. I really do love these games though.

DasUberCow

May 26, 2009
Wait. VC3 is going to be on PS3 and they're basing this decision on the lack of VC2 sales which was on a different platform? Anyone else see the flaw in that logic?

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Yeeah...

We ship Gears 3 to an almost Xbox360 dry region, but we don't get YOUR 3rd installation for Valkeryia Chronicles?

Logic.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Haha! Nicely written article. I say without shame that I don't care about this game so I am not saddened by this news, but this article amused me with it's wit. Umad?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I have no PSP. Unless Sony actually allows PSP games to be played on the PS3 I have no reason to get it.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
DasUberCow said:
VC3 is for the PSP.

Also, I bought both games when they came out. I did my part, but apparently it's not enough. Which is unfortunate because this is the only series Sega has left that I care about unless they one day publish a sequel to Vanquish.