Sega Unleashing American Super Soldier

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sega Unleashing American Super Soldier

Sega has announced a new upcoming title featuring one of the greatest American superheroes.

Sega's last foray into the comic book superhero world didn't go too well, with shutdown of the studio responsible [http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-Playstation-3/dp/B00114XU60/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286329399&sr=1-1]. However, Sega still has more comic franchises to take on, and recently announced that its Captain America game is in completely different hands.

The game's official title is now Captain America: Super Soldier and hopefully is sitting safer at Next Level Games, known for the recent Mario Strikers [http://www.amazon.com/Punch-Out-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001TOQ8K2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286329929&sr=1-1] titles for the Wii and Gamecube. It also has an original story written by comic book veteran Christos Gage.

Super Soldier will follow Captain America during World War II as he goes up against arch-nemesis the Red Skull. In the quest to throw his shield directly at Red Skull's skull, Cap will have to make his way through a "massive castle" filled with the forces of Hydra, and go up against other madmen like the evil scientist Arnim Zola.

The game is a third-person action adventure and Sega says it has "free-flowing combat and acrobatic platforming." Players will combine melee with diverse shield attacks, which can take out multiple enemies at once and deflect enemy bullets right back to their source. The shield will also be used to solve puzzles and scale walls.

Is there any chance of this inheriting some of Arkham Asylum [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Game-Xbox-360/dp/B003C1I0CO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286331665&sr=8-2]'s mojo, even just a little bit? I seriously can't get enough of one of the first screenshots, showing Captain America really cleaning a soldier's clock. Unfortunately, Super Soldier is being developed as a partial movie tie-in to the Captain America flick coming next year (it takes place in the same world), which could mean that it'll be released even if it's not ready. I won't get down on it before the game comes out, though.

Super Soldier is coming to the Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PSP, and DS in 2011.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Does anyone know if Captain America votes Republican or Democrat? This Civil War business confused me much.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I'm sorry, I know "movie tie-in" and "super hero game" and "SEGA" were all thrown into that article, but I just kept reading "Super hero beating up Nazis" and started giggling inappropriately to myself. Seriously, they should make period games for other Marvel heroes, I'd love to see Wolverine hunting with wolves in BC or in Japan. Which, unfortunately, we'll probably get because of the Wolverine movie coming out...

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Hmm never played a Capt America game before I might try it
AND IF YOU DON"T BUY IT YOU"RE NOT A REAL AMERICAN
hehe I just made their tag line

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
It was sounding good until it got to the movie tie-in bit. Oh dear...
Why can't it be stand-alone? I think that would benefit it better than for it to be a movie tie-in.

Sep 14, 2009
just re release captain america and the avengers from sega genesis and i will be the happiest person on earth, the co op on that game is oodles of nostalgic fun!

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Autofaux said:
Does anyone know if Captain America votes Republican or Democrat? This Civil War business confused me much.
Captain America Votes for himself, or else, he punch's both candidates !

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'm not impressed. Promotional shots/videos don't do it for me, especially this early into things when they tend to change radically.

Being a movie tie in, and also given that I seem to remember some of those games (like that Spider Man title) being pretty terrible, I'm hardly being sold.

Making matters worse is that while not the foremost Marvel guru out there, wouldn't The Red Skull be working with regular Nazis during World War II, and not Hydra?

I seem to remember Hydra doesn't form until AFTER World War II using leftover Nazi Riches and Japanese manpower, and is lead by Wolfgang Von Strucker (another major Captain America enemy). It's not a group that would be fighting alongside The Red Skull in World War II.

I could be wrong, as it's been a while since I've engaged in major geekery with Marvel villain organizations, but it seems to me like they might be trying to downplay the whole Nazi angle to avoid symbolism or something silly like that, a group of snake-themed terrorists being a lot less likely to offend someone as well as dealing with the potential issues of toys for villains who are actually nazis being produced or whatever.

I don't know, it just sounds wrong to me without putting my finger on it. If I'm remembering Hydra right, and I think I am, I seriously hope this isn't something with it's origins in the movie and rather just a bunch of game designers disrespecting the material.

I'm going to be cheezed off if we have Captain America in World War II and don't see him get to actually beat some actual Nazi heads. Heck, 10 years or so I seem to remember Wizard mentioning that Captain America punching out Hitler was one of the greatest moments in comics on one of their lists. I was kind of hoping they'd work that into the movie somewhere. :)

But basically, even if it is their movie continuity I think they need to show at least SOME respect. As I seem to remember the whole HYDRA thing also ties into a lot of other villains like AIM (another organizatgion), MODOK (pretty iconic all on his own), and of course Lady Hydra. I still have fond memories of the old "Nick Fury Vs. S.H.I.E.L.D." storyline where he took down the original version of his own organization with some rather intresting reveals about how a lot of those organizations (including his) were linked and played against each other. :)

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
If they make a Cap game that is as good as Arkham then I think I might die from my brain flooding with dopamine.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
The last good game sega released was Sonic and the Black Knight, so I expect this game to be epic.

Just kidding, their last good game was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, so I expect nothing good.
Going from Mario Strikers to Captain America is quite a leap.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Autofaux said:
Like all real Americans, Captain America doesn't vote. /sarcasm (yes I'm aware that America's last election had the best turnout rate in twenty years)

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Autofaux said:
If i remember correctly every Ballot he tuns in just has the word America written on it.

OT:I hope it turns out well, a 3rd person Action Game with Captain America sounds awesome.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Seeing that picture of good ol' StevO cleaning the clock of that poor sap made me think at how insane the world is.

Along with Superman, he is the U.S's greatest heroic icon and yet he was born an awkward lanky artist who became who he became because of a super cocktail of drugs, and Supes is an illegal alien with forged papers, yet both of them are ridiculously overpowered within their own contexts and have been used to showcase the superiority of their patron nation time and time again.

I dunno, kicking the shit out of underpowered low level baddies for great justice seems wrong, now....wait, the baddies in the game are nazis? Oh damn...

Anyways, this game will suck [insert different term for rooster, in plural]. All least we still have the old Captain America for the NES. Now, that was a good game where the bad guy was...a chinese guy? Uh...

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Blueruler182 said:
*snip* but I just kept reading "Super hero beating up Nazis" and started giggling inappropriately to myself *snip*
And it's all in character, too.

Captain America beating up Nazis. How can you go wrong?

[sub]Sega will find a way...[/sub]

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I can't help but think how Iron Man: by Sega, looked good in screenshots but was the norm for Movie games.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
wait, wait, wait... did he sayd HYDRA??? Red Skull is a Nazi.... HYDRA came later in the story what the F**** 2 time in less than 12 hours i see that wrong... first in the micro episode of the anvanger yesterday on youtube and now here... what wrong MArvel? Going politically correct with Nazis now?

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
JEBWrench said:
Blueruler182 said:
*snip* but I just kept reading "Super hero beating up Nazis" and started giggling inappropriately to myself *snip*
And it's all in character, too.

Captain America beating up Nazis. How can you go wrong?

[sub]Sega will find a way...[/sub]
I actually don't like Steve Rodgers. I like Bucky Barnes as the new Cap, but I have never liked Steve Rodgers. And I'm still seeing "period piece super hero vs nazis."