Sega Unveils Disappointing Dreamcast Collection

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sega Unveils Disappointing Dreamcast Collection

Four classic Dreamcast games are heading to a console near you. Not every console though, and you might have two of the games already.

Sega announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106102-Sega-Working-on-Dreamcast-Retail-Collection] that it was working on a Dreamcast retail collection last month, prompting squeals of excitement from the console's dedicated fan base. Fast forward to today, however, and the details of the collection may turn those squeals from delight to dismay.

Sega's Dreamcast Collection will contain four games: Sonic Adventure, Space Channel 5: Part 2, Crazy Taxi and SEGA Bass Fishing. Each game will receive some extra spit and polish in the graphics department, as well as online leaderboards and achievements.

If that particular quartet of Dreamcast games seems familiar, and you're scratching your head trying to figure out why, then ponder no longer. It's because they've also all either been announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104586-More-Dreamcast-Classics-Coming-to-XBLA-and-PSN] as downloadable titles for XBLA and PSN, or are already available. Space Channel 5: Part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing are due for release in the not too distant future, and Sonic Adventure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8168-Review-Sonic-Adventure-XBLA ] and Crazy Taxi [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8384-Review-Crazy-Taxi] have been available since September and November respectively.

Still, their availability elsewhere may actually be a good thing, at least for PS3 owners, as it looks like the collection is Microsoft only. The official press release for the collection prominently mentions the Xbox 360, and also gives the PC a quick nod, but leaves the PS3 out in the cold. There's every chance that it will come out on the console later, but there's no clue as to when that might be, if it does actually happen at all.

Hopefully, this is just the first instalment of Dreamcast classics we can look forward to, as there's plenty of titles that people would love to play again, not to mention titles they haven't already bought. Sega's Dreamcast Collection comes out for Xbox 360 and PC on February 22nd in North America and February 25th in Europe. Hopefully a PS3 release will follow on soon after.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=283517?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Crazy Taxi?

WITH THE SONGS OR WITHOUT?

And I'm waiting for a collection with Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2.

Then I can die happy.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
... that's it?! No Jet Set Radio?! Just games already released/to be released on PSN and XBLA on a disc?!

Well, looks like I'll be avoiding this collection. I already have a Dreamcast anyways, so if I really need to play those games I'll just break her out, dust her off, and play. Still disappointing that I won't be able to play JSR in glorious HD.

Jul 22, 2009
Already have Sonic Adventure...

Might get Crazy Taxi one day, definitely looking forward to trying out an updated Space Channel 5 :D

I hope they release more titles though, this collection doesn't seem for me.

Is there any indication on price?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Aren't Sega and Sony both Japanese companies? Seems a bit odd to leave the PS3 out of the mix, unless this is a "western branch" thing.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Pfft...and here I was hoping the original Phantasy Star Online would make a triumphant return.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
The only Dreamcast collection I want is one with Shenmue and Shenmue II.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
What a terrible collection, major disappointment...

Come on, release some of the more rare/obscure titles that deserve more recognition.

Apr 28, 2008
Will Crazy Taxi come with "All I Want" by Offspring? If not, then pass.

Here's what an awesome compilation would be:

Power Stone 1+2, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Shenmu 1+2

Now that would be a compilation that people would buy.

Gizmo007666

Nov 12, 2009
>.> that's what they're putting in the collection? I fear that the low level of sales these will get (or deserve to get considering they're already available through download) will just dissuade sega from making further collections which would be a shame as I would love to get back to powerstone and have a try of shenmue.

Bellatrixa

Oct 10, 2009
Although Shenmue II was brought out on the Xbox, it wasn't the same as playing it on the DC. especially as the items I started with on the Xbox version were inferior to those I'd earned in Shenmue I on the DC. I'd still love that series to be finished tbh.

I was almost certain that Crazy Taxi had been re-released on the last gen and we all know that Sonic Adventure was sandwiched into Sonic Mega-Super-Collection-Compendium at every available opportunity along with Mean Bean Machine and Flicky.

I'd rather have seen Samba Di Amigo in there.

Least they didn't put in Chu Chu Rocket I guess.

Still, I don't really call 4 games a collection, especially given the lifespan of the console. It's a "compilation" at best.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Personally I would really like to see a Sega Saturn collection become available on XBL or PSN. The Saturn had some great titles that were just overshadowed by the PS1.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
I thought they were supposed to release powerstone and darkstalkers for all systems? Or, are they only for the psp?

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Good to see sega hasn't changed after all these years, they still know how to p**s good money down the drain for no reason. And the point of making a retail disc is.....?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Disappointing Dreamcast collection? I wasn't aware there was any other kind. First, it's SEGA, so disappointment should be expected no matter what. Second, it's Dreamcast games. I think the only thing more disappointing than a collection of those would be a collection of Game.com games ported to the DS (much like the Dreamcast, nearly all Game.com games were awful).