Sega Unveils Episodic Sonic the Hedgehog 4

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sega Unveils Episodic Sonic the Hedgehog 4

The veil is off "Project Needlemouse" at last: Sega has announced Sonic the Hedgehog 4, a direct 2D sequel to 1994's Sonic & Knuckles.

[gamespot=6249444]

This weekend, there were rumors that the long-teased "Project Needlemouse" could perhaps actually be Sonic 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97903-Is-Needlemouse-Sonic-4], the direct continuation of a once-glorious 2D platformer franchise that had been dormant since 1994's Sonic & Knuckles. And yes, those days had truly been glorious (personally, I consider the combination game Sonic 3 & Knuckles to be one of the finest old-school platformers ever made). But no, it was just wishful thinking, wasn't it? Sega couldn't possibly be giving the fans what they'd been asking for for years, could it?

As it turns out, yes. Yes they could.

"Project Needlemouse" is indeed Sonic the Hedgehog 4, reports Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6249457.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=topstory&tag=topstory;title], and will be out on all three major consoles as a downloadable title (via XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare) this summer. Curiously, the launch trailer seen above refers to Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Episode 1, which indicates that there will be more to come. That, of course, makes it even more like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which was one game that was released in two parts thanks to time and budget considerations (so in a way, the precursor to modern DLC when you think about it).

Sega associate brand manager Ken Balough told Gamespot that Sonic 4 will pick up directly where Sonic & Knuckles left off, and will include old-school elements such as the spin dash and power sneakers - as well as online leaderboards for the world's fastest hedgehogs to strut their stuff, and optional motion controls for the Wii Remote and the Sixaxis.

It remains to be seen if Sega can still pull the same magic out of the franchise, but the classic "Se-ga!" jingle brings a smile to my face nonetheless. One thing remains certain: As long as they call him Dr. Robotnik and can this "Eggman" crap, we'll be good.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I think a user already posted this...

Still a good article as always even if I don't give a flying fuck about Sonic.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Julianking93 said:

We've been over this. Users posting things in the forum =/= news posts on the front page.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, be intresting to see if Sega do something right with our little blue friend...

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
John Funk said:
Julianking93 said:

We've been over this. Users posting things in the forum =/= news posts on the front page.
That's why I said it. I meant it as sort of a joke. :D

Woem

May 28, 2009
Euh this trailer in itself is a serious let-down isn't it?

Slizergiy

Feb 3, 2010
Everyone has been wanting a solid 2D Sonic games just like the good old days, and now we finaly get one. Its about bloody time and i hope Sega make it a worthy successor to Sonic 3.

Dec 14, 2009
Julianking93 said:

That was me! But escapist news articles are always 50 billion times better than my lazy OPs.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Hmm, some part of me wants to say 'yay', but another part of me thinks that Sonic died many a year ago

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
A game company that listens to fans.......i think hell just froze over

i personally am excited since i love old school games (re-playing LoZ:OoT on an emulator right now)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
John Funk said:
Julianking93 said:

I literally just made a thread about this linking the video and gamespot interview... you guys are always on top of things aren't you :p

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Sega you've been so bad to me baby... Don't let this little grin I just spent on this movie be a drip of water into an endless sea of Betrayal.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
John Funk said:
[...] the classic "Se-ga!" jingle brings a smile to my face nonetheless.
This. I've stopped caring about the Sonic franchise a very long time ago, and to be honest I still don't care. But the "See-gaa!" sound does bring back a lot of memories.

Jhammer

Feb 4, 2010
Maybe New Super Mario Bros Wii has started a trend of big budget 2.5D games. No disrespect to the indie industry and handhelds they helped keep the dream alive but nostalgia calls to me sometimes.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Oh my god, a 2D Sonic.....did someone finally listen to fans? Did the dirty, leperous retards at Team Sonic finally figure out that 3D sucks for Sonic?

Well good for him. However, we need to actually play it before it can be hailed as a comeback.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fappy said:
John Funk said:
Julianking93 said:

I literally just made a thread about this linking the video and gamespot interview... you guys are always on top of things aren't you :p
Believe it or not, we don't always troll the forums (and I use "troll" in the fishing term here) to see OH MAN A FORUM POSTER BEAT US TO IT WELL THAT STORY IS NO LONGER NEWSWORTHY I GUESS :(

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
John Funk said:
Fappy said:
John Funk said:
Julianking93 said:

Believe it or not, we don't always troll the forums (and I use "troll" in the fishing term here) to see OH MAN A FORUM POSTER BEAT US TO IT WELL THAT STORY IS NO LONGER NEWSWORTHY I GUESS :(
Maybe you guys should just sticky a thread in the forums saying that what is on the forums =/= whats on the front page news?