Sell me Deus Ex

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
Since there is so much hype behind Human Revolution I thought I might try out the original Deus Ex but every time I look at screen-shots or game play it all looks so complex and boring, not too mention the visuals haven't aged very well. I was just wondering if my fellow Escapists might have anything to say that might encourage me to go ahead and take the plunge into what could be an awesome game for me.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's dirt cheap?

And the story holds up decently?

And you can play basically any way you like?

That said, I never bothered finishing it. Didn't hook me in my 3 or so hours with it, but it's still a good game by all means.

I have eclectic tastes, though.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
i almost bought it the other day, but my friends i was with talked me out of it (the game is really hard; I don't really like super hard games...)

EDIT: oh i also forgot to mention that I only have access to a PS2 twice a month, so there was that too

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
It is very cheap, and has a pretty good story.
Otherwise I wouldn't really recommend it, I didn't enjoy it very much.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
An army of hookers with guns. You can make it happen! YOU! GO MY HOOKER ARMY! DO MY EVIL BIDDING! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Suilenroc said:
i almost bought it the other day, but my friends i was with talked me out of it (the game is really hard; I don't really like super hard games...)
It definitely dosn't hold your hand like todays games do and if you forget to save you can be thrown back an entire mission or two but its actually quite enjoyable.

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
Suilenroc said:
You sir have also just talked me out of it. If a game frustrates me to a certain point I will not continue playing it. Entertainment that ceases to be entertaining gets a pass from me.

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
I would simply tell you to give it a shot. If you have somebody "pitch" it to you and tell you how awesome and fantastic it is, then you'll go in with higher hopes than it might deliver. Give it a shot, know that you're playing an old school game that had far more technological limitations than we do now, and try to focus on enjoying a neat little story. DO NOT sit there at the edge of your seat, holding up a magnifying glass, trying to hold the game up to scrutiny. It won't work. Play it as a time capsule piece and enjoy it for what it is. It was great for its time, some think it has aged well and others don't, so it'll be hard to determine how you'll react to it now.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
You know... I was REAAAALLY tempted to link to a place you could buy it, like Amazon or something like that. But methinks that'd be against forum rules :p

In all honesty, look up some gameplay videos. If you can't see yourself having fun with it, don't get it. I don't think anyone here can change your mind.

For the record, I have tried it, three times, and every time the visuals and obnoxiously slow paced gameplay in the first level bored me. Maybe I'm just playing it wrong, but hey, that's my experience.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I would, I bought it dirt cheap but never got past the second level, but I didn't find it particularly interesting.

I will try and get into it again, but it just wasn't that fun. It's stupidly hard for a start, and I found the game-play clunky, especially if you try (and fail many times) to be stealthy.

I had played Deus Ex:Invisible War years before that and found IW much more interesting. (Watch me get flayed alive for saying that)

The graphics and "datedness" don't bother me in the slightest as I love Fallout, Fallout 2 and System Shock 2, sadly you cannot get hold of System Shock 1 any more. :(

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
It has boxes full of explosives that you can carry around and throw. You can walk into the women's toilets in your base and nobody stops you. That's how much freedom the game gives you, letting you feel like a complete nasty bottom.

Ranchcroutons said:
Suilenroc said:
You sir have also just talked me out of it. If a game frustrates me to a certain point I will not continue playing it. Entertainment that ceases to be entertaining gets a pass from me.
I wouldn't worry about it. Performing fleas are more intelligent and challenging than the AI in Deus Ex.

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
Ranchcroutons said:
Suilenroc said:
I found that the game is as hard or as easy as you make it. There is the "good" way of playing, in which you play it as a stealth game and try not to get seen or to kill anybody unnecessarily. Then there is the bad way, in which you can just run and gun through it. I prefer more assassin style, where I try not to be detected, but will still pick off people discreetly. I think part of the appeal that it had for its time is giving you the option of how you want to go about it. The game really prefers if you play it more stealthy, but it won't stop you from doing it your way.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
It's dirt cheap?

And the story holds up decently?

And you can play basically any way you like?

That said, I never bothered finishing it. Didn't hook me in my 3 or so hours with it, but it's still a good game by all means.

I have eclectic tastes, though.
This, pretty much. It's not the best game i've played, but still it's cheap and alright.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Ranchcroutons said:
Since there is so much hype behind Human Revolution I thought I might try out the original Deus Ex but every time I look at screen-shots or game play it all looks so complex and boring, not too mention the visuals haven't aged very well. I was just wondering if my fellow Escapists might have anything to say that might encourage me to go ahead and take the plunge into what could be an awesome game for me.
easy use a dx.10 renderer and a HD texture pack

http://games.on.net/file/25907/Deus_Ex_-_Hi-res_texture_pack

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

LimeWarrior

Feb 28, 2010
It is the only game I replayed 4 times. Of course that was in 2005 when all my parents would give me was an 5 year old desktop.

Still, Deus Ex gives you unprescedented freedom of choice when it comes to completing levels. My second playthrough I spent nearly twice as long trying to uncover every possible route/goal.

As far as difficulty: the AI is dated. I only played on the hardest difficulty after the second playthrough.

The story is almost as sprawling as the game. The major plot doesn't change, but the sub plots depend on the choices you make, resulting in a very different game. For instance, you could fail to save all your friends and so the last level you are on your own. It feels different from if you complete all the side missions and save your friends. Same final level, but your friends are on your side.

Also, it is one of the few games I've found where you can avoid killing each boss. If you do, they all show up at the end. Killing NPCs and bosses effect the story and dialog, so your choices have real weight.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Once you get passed the graphics the game can be a fun and unique experience. But it is definitely no Halo, it doesn't hold your hand and walk you through everything which is pretty refreshing. If you don't master the magic quick save key the game can be very unforgiving though. If you make a mistake without having saved for a while it isn't fun ending up back at the first level.

Boemmel

Jan 1, 2009
Well, concerning the visuals, there is a way to make them look a bit nicer, look here:

Deus Ex on modern systems [http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm]

This is a handy guide that explains in detail how to use a new, better render engine with Deus Ex and replace some of the textures with high-res versions. It is not entirely trivial to set up (although I think it is still relatively easy to do), but it gives you some really nice modern-day features like widescreen modes, anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering and advanced DX10 lighting and also fixes some issues which come up while running Deus Ex on modern systems.

It obviously still looks dated, but I think those enhancements should make it much more enjoyable on modern systems.

For the rest, well I still have a special place in my gamer heart for Deus Ex, because (as others have said thousands of times before me), it gives you an enormous amount of freedom how you can play the game, has a compelling, well written story and an incredible, detailed background, especially since it has that dystopian, cyperpunk-ish feel to it which is pretty rare in games compared to standard Fantasy or Sci-Fi scenarios.

In combination of those factors, this is still a very unique game and there have been games here and there that managed to recreate some of the compelling aspects of Deus Ex, but I think there is still no game who nailed the combination quite as well as Deus Ex did, so I think it is till worth checking out today.

Needless to say, I await Deus Ex: Human Revolution eagerly :)