Senior EVE Online Community Member Killed in Libya Riot

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Berenzen said:
I was on Mumble with him at the time. His last words were, "Shit, gunfire". It was pretty fucking horrific.
Are you serious? It must be terrible now thinking about it.

God damn it. How many more innocent lives must be lost because of hatred born out of ignorance?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Let me get this straight? People are dead because a bunch of wankers got upset of another wanker making a shitty little movie that only a handful of other wankers watched?

Dear Lord... Of all the things to kill over...

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Ah Islam that wacky religion of peace. It is truly sad to hear that people have died over something so utterly insignificant. RIP all who were lost in this senseless violence.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Wow, I read about the embassy attack on the news, but it feels different when you can relate to one of the victims because he was a gamer, and a sci-fi enthusiast like you. It brutally takes some of that detached anonymity away and makes you feel sorry for someone you never even knew.

Religous extremists everywhere, fuck you, and let the rest of us live in peace.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest I can't make any judgements about Vile Rat as a person, having never met him, going by his name and affiliations... well, I'd imagine "nice guy" probably isn't a good description unless you were on his side... but heck, that's gaming. It's sad to know such a dedicated gamer and part of the US diplomatic corps has passed on though, especially under these circumstances.

That said, if Vile Rat was a diplomat, I doubt he'd agree with what I'm about to say but... I think this pretty much demonstrates that the Muslim cultures simply cannot exist on the same planet with everyone else, something that goes beyond any one nation in the region, and also needs to be seperated from Islam itself which can be practiced peacefully even if the vast number of adherants that dominate The Middle East choose not to, and maintain a xenophobic way of life that might be thousands of years old, but has become a cancer to progress.

When a trailer for a movie that happens to be offensive to your point of view incites riots against international targets of this sort, I think we've gone beyond any arguements that problems in the region are simply the result of a tiny, radical minority. This is like right wingers rallying en-masse and going on killing rampages over a Michael Moore documentary, or people shooting up The House Of Representitives over "Passion Of The Christ". If this was an isolated incident it would be one thing, but the simple fact that we're in a very similar place periodically it seems shows that measured response and peaceful attempts at negotiation have failed. Heck, they attacked our diplomats who are the peaceful talkative guys, yet again, and this was over a bloody movie trailer.

I've said all of this before, but honestly, how many times do we need to visit incidents like this? From where I'm sitting out leaders are talking a good game, but when it comes to action they are simply reaching for ever larger tubes of lube, and as they do, we seem to be encouraging things to just get worse.

I felt the need to say my piece here, I had been avoiding the topic, but for some reason learning that a big time EVE player and Goon died kind of bugs me. I played EVE at a very casual high-sec level for a while, and call Something Awful once in a while to read the main page for a laugh. I guess it just hit closer to home, and has really gotten my usual sentiments roiling. In the end I pretty much think it's just time to unleash all the nasty weapons we keep around but won't use for moral reasons (which doesn't even need to include nukes) and bring Armageddon to the region. Heck if people are concerned about Genocide, just put some egg cells and sperm into a bank to be thawed out later. Besides I'd kind of get a kick out of telling the descendants of a formerly theocratic culture that freaks out over movie trailers and wants me dead that their creator is an American in a lab coat that combined them, and that if they need a god his name is Doctor Pointdexter (or whatever). :)

Yes, I'm angry again, so take that for what it's worth.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Don't hate muslims, hate bloody demagogues and populists who preach intolerance and spread violent death. These people, no matter if Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, Scientologist or whatever - they are the only human beings undeserving of mercy. People would be better than that, if they were not constantly driven by the many warmongers in this world.

RIP Mr. Smith - I did not know you or play EVE long enough to notice your existence, but your death and those of the other victims of this violence are infuriating and saddening. Rest in the knowledge that you have made a difference to many people, including many that were connected to you "only" through a game.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
The only cancer here was hatred.
Agreed. Someone expressed their opinion of a religion, that religion's people got pissed and an individual loses their life over it. I believe this should go down in the annals of history of how stupid humans can be.

If someone slags off something you believe in, defend it with a proportionate response - don't go and riot about it and kill another man who, for all they knew, didn't hate Islam in the slightest.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The Plunk said:
[q

In a country as rife with socio-political tension as one which only recently went through a major regime change, any seemingly tiny, insignificant thing could act as a catalyst and cause a riot.
If it was a riot between internal political factions that would be one thing, but this is an attack on an outside force (the US) which has clearly been linked to a movie trailer, as opposed to a domestic political reason.

Your basic arguement sort of reinforces my point, after all if hatred of us is what winds up bringing the most unity, that's not a good thing. Taking time away from their domestic affairs and regime change to get upset about a movie trailer that is critical of their religion is in no way a good sign, or "understandable".

I really wouldn't care if this was an isolated incident, but it's not.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
Boudica said:
Can we stop killing each other, guys? - to World, from Matilda.
Reading the responses of everyone here and also reading about the tragic death of the US ambassador earlier in the day I feel flooded with sadness, pity and weariness. Except your's. Your's just reads like an off-hand comment about something you couldn't care less about.

OT: Extremely amateur, Californian film-maker offends Muslims.

People halfway across the world pay the ultimate price for his arrogance.

Those Muslims shouldn't have reacted that way. I don't care how offended they were, that is not a response that upholds their Islamic values. It's appalling of them.

My thoughts are with the families of the deceased.

Solvemedia: easy street.
Oh, if only.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I just wished most people would realize that America's rarely united on anything, and that if one person believes something, there's at least another that doesn't.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
The riots occurred in response to a low-budget movie
This angers me. People shouldn't have to suffer because someone used of his rights to create something. Specially when it comes to religion, it really gives a bad image to Islam and that will only fuel the criticism of Muslim people - it's a vicious cycle.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
The only thing that these fundamentalists are doing, other than murdering innocent people, is making all Muslims look like hateful savages. I wish moderate Muslims would shun these people and send a clear message that this behaviour is unacceptable.

No one should have to die because of religious hatred.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
ElPatron said:
The riots occurred in response to a low-budget movie
This angers me. People shouldn't have to suffer because someone used of his rights to create something. Specially when it comes to religion, it really gives a bad image to Islam and that will only fuel the criticism of Muslim people - it's a vicious cycle.
Pretty much. As I saw commented elsewhere about this story: Some jerkoff made a movie proposing how violent and ignorant islam is, then a bunch of violent and ignorant islamic extremists murder several completely unrelated people on the other side of the world because the movie offended them by calling them violent and ignorant?

As ancient and advanced as that culture is supposed to be, the 'sticks and stones...' concept has apparently has not been discovered.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Johnson McGee said:
The only thing that these fundamentalists are doing, other than murdering innocent people, is making all Muslims look like hateful savages. I wish moderate Muslims would shun these people and send a clear message that this behaviour is unacceptable.

No one should have to die because of religious hatred.
Agreed 100%, and thank you to those few who have made statements condemning this act.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
disgruntledgamer said:
"Californian Sam Bacile, who has described Islam as "a cancer, period."

Truth hurts I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnEeTBuPQuo

by Thunderf00t
You know that period that history calls the 'dark ages'? Well, the they did not have that in Islam. In fact, while the Europeans were still burning witches for having a mole on their back, Muslims were innovating in mathematics, astronomy, and medicine.

Now, some might say this proves that Muslims are the superior religion, but that is also ignorant. Th Renaissance and the enlightenment revolutionized, art science, and culture.

Really what I am trying to get at is it is stupid and ignorant to point at one group of people and say "there. They are the problem."
You are right about the dark ages, Islam is having that right now. Islam is the youngest of the major religions and is thusly very insecure of it's place in the world. Which results in madmen who pick up their swords in Allah's name.

Kinda like the Christians during the medieval times. It's the exact same thing, only then with bombs and missiles instead of swords and crossbows.

Hopefully it will not take 400 years to resolve itself, like it did last time.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I never met this guy since I haven't played Eve for very long, but... this is getting to me quite a bit. It makes this issue hit closer to home because it hurt someone that was, in a way, part of a community that I am involved with.

*sighs* I hate religious extremists. Why do they have to do shit like this? ;_;

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Elmoth said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
disgruntledgamer said:
"Californian Sam Bacile, who has described Islam as "a cancer, period."

Truth hurts I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnEeTBuPQuo

by Thunderf00t
You know that period that history calls the 'dark ages'? Well, the they did not have that in Islam. In fact, while the Europeans were still burning witches for having a mole on their back, Muslims were innovating in mathematics, astronomy, and medicine.

Now, some might say this proves that Muslims are the superior religion, but that is also ignorant. Th Renaissance and the enlightenment revolutionized, art science, and culture.

Really what I am trying to get at is it is stupid and ignorant to point at one group of people and say "there. They are the problem."
Actually that wasn't because of/in all of islam. Just a number of arabian countries were revolutionizing chemistry, math etc. It had little to do with Islam directly.

Still, I find it strange to bring this up, DisgruntledGamer. We don't know the reasons this man was involved in these things and it's simply sad that he died.
I know that the scientific advances had little to do with Islam, but I was trying to point out that being Muslim does not in any way make you hold science in any sort of contempt as the video posted and general attitude of the poster was trying to convey.