Senior Rock Band Designer Leaves Harmonix

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Senior Rock Band Designer Leaves Harmonix

Dan Teasdale, one of the original designers of Rock Band [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Rock-Band-Special/dp/B000TT4GBG ], is leaving the music game business behind.

We all get bored from time to time, even people whose jobs seem amazing. Actors famed for their exciting action movies will make family comedies, bands will indulge in strange audio experiments, and game developers join indie studios - developers like Dan Teasdale, who has quit Harmonix for greener pastures.

Writing on his blog [http://dantdesign.blogspot.com/2010/07/moving-on.html], Teasdale said that while his time at Harmonix had been very fulfilling, Rock Band 3 was too big a game, and too big a team, for him to be as hands on as he wanted."This realization put me in a weird position: I want to be able to help drive the vision and direction of a game, but at the same time be hands on and physically implement and iterate on the low level of making games in a more substantial way than time affords me when working as a lead on multi-hundred person titles."

So Teasdale has left Harmonix behind and joined 'Splosion Man and The Maw developer Twisted Pixel, where he describes his new project as "ridiculously cool": "It's the holy grail of game design positions - I'll get to contribute and help drive the direction of a well funded and supported new title with a close knit superteam, while at the same time being hands on and able to directly impact all aspects of the game."

Dan's last game for Harmonix, Rock Band 3, is due for release over Christmas this year.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/rock-band-designer-quits-harmonix]

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I wonder what is this "ridiculously cool" project he will be working on

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
His job on RB3 is done, though...So, RB3 shouldn't suffer for it.

RB4 on the other hand...

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
That new "ridiculously cool" project intrigues me.

Also, I wonder if Twisted Pixel could afford him, or if he agreed to have a smaller salary...

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Good for him, I would like to see how his presence affects Twisted Pixel's upcoming game.

...Wait, I remember seeing a video about it a couple of months ago, it's a 2.5d action game where you play as a super hero called "captain smiley", it looked good. I wonder if any rhythm game mechanics will be added?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intrested to see what project he is going to work on, but, he leaves behind a solid legacy of plastic peripherals taking up loads of space at least!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
mm I've really enjoyed Rock Band 2 as well as 'Splosion Man so either way this piece of the game development market seems to be going well

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
rabidmidget said:
Good for him, I would like to see how his presence affects Twisted Pixel's upcoming game.

...Wait, I remember seeing a video about it a couple of months ago, it's a 2.5d action game where you play as a super hero called "captain smiley", it looked good. I wonder if any rhythm game mechanics will be added?
I saw a trailer for that game, idk if that's the one that he's working on though, I think that one may be nearly done already, I think they are doing something else too.