Senpai may be added to the English dictionary

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
http://goboiano.com/news/4400-senpai-may-be-added-to-the-english-dictionary

So it seems yet another Japanese word may be officially be adopted into the English language, but unlike Bukaki this is a fairly filthy one in its connotations. I mean come on this was adopted as a joke because of anime, but it might be turning into an actual official word in the dictionary? I don't even know what the dictionary is anymore.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Makes sense to me. When a word becomes so widely used it deserves to be recognized, regardless as to what its origins are. It's kind of silly, sure, but dictionaries have an obligation to keep up with society's ever evolving vocabulary.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
It better say "See Japanese Dictionary"

Otherwise our dictionary will just be every word of every language which would be too much. Plus I doubt it will refer to the actual Japanese meaning of senior/higher ranked student.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Saelune said:
Plus I doubt it will refer to the actual Japanese meaning of senior/higher ranked student.
Wouldn't be the first time that happened. Anime and Otaku are perfect examples of the same word having different meanings between Japanese and American English.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
They gonna add Waifu next too? Seriously, it's used as a very well known in-joke between anime/manga fans. Don't add it into the damn dictionary.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Zontar said:
Saelune said:
Plus I doubt it will refer to the actual Japanese meaning of senior/higher ranked student.
Wouldn't be the first time that happened. Anime and Otaku are perfect examples of the same word having different meanings between Japanese and American English.
Cause you know the people deciding this stuff aren't people in the know...we live in a world where a fucking emoji was -word- of the year. They need to read their own dictionaries.

Elfgore said:
They gonna add Waifu next too? Seriously, it's used as a very well known in-joke between anime/manga fans. Don't add it into the damn dictionary.
Waifu isn't even like, a Japanese word, which is what infuriates me the most. I bet a lot of people think it is though. Its the equivalent of adding "to" to the end of a word to make it sound Spanish.

Yo wanto, taco, pleaseto seniorio.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
Senpai finally noticed dictionary-chan?

Saelune said:

Otherwise our dictionary will just be every word of every language which would be too much. Plus I doubt it will refer to the actual Japanese meaning of senior/higher ranked student.
English is already more or less an amorphous blob of languages.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Saelune said:
Zontar said:
Saelune said:
Cause you know the people deciding this stuff aren't people in the know...we live in a world where a fucking emoji was -word- of the year. They need to read their own dictionaries.
Well that's true, but even those using it use those two words differently since anime and otaku aren't exactly the same on both sides of the Pacific.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Saelune said:
Elfgore said:
Waifu isn't even like, a Japanese word, which is what infuriates me the most. I bet a lot of people think it is though. Its the equivalent of adding "to" to the end of a word to make it sound Spanish.

Yo wanto, taco, pleaseto seniorio.

But seriously, Waifu isn't even a Japanese word? *goes on a google adventure* Holy shit it isn't. That's god damn hilarious.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The Philistine said:
Senpai finally noticed dictionary-chan?

Saelune said:

English is already more or less an amorphous blob of languages.
I don't think a minority of a subculture poorly using a Japanese word really deserves Dictionary level recognition. English being what it is because of clashes of different cultures throughout history in Europe and later the Americas as it developed over 1000+ years is more justifiable.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
I hope their at least gonna include kohai too if this is for real

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*shrug*

God forbid the English language adopt a word from another language and mangle the meaning in the process.

It's unprecedented!

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
English isn't French. There is no "official" English; many of the more snooty members of the upper classes of the UK may love to pretend otherwise, but considering the abuse they heap upon the letter 'R', the rest of us are right to ignore them. As there is no official English, there is also no official record of it; the Oxford English dictionary served as an important high-level reference document, but no one's going to take you seriously when you add in "D'oh" as though it were a real word.

And actually reading the link, it's not the OED, it's Merriam-Webster. That's even better. Webster never bothered to IP-protect his name; the Merriams bought the rights to his work, but anyone could put out a "Webster's dictionary" so far as Noah's concerned. There's nothing "official" about this- though I do admit "dictionary adds word indiscriminately" doesn't have much drawing power.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Elfgore said:
But seriously, Waifu isn't even a Japanese word? *goes on a google adventure* Holy shit it isn't. That's god damn hilarious.
I educated myself today on what the kanji and actual phonetic word for wife is in Japanese. THANKS, ESCAPIST.

I don't really care whether senpai gets added into the English dictionary or not. Kinda weird, but nothing too bad.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Saelune said:
Wait. That's not what it means? I'm too afraid to Google it now.
Senpai means senior ranking student, so if you're a freshman, a sophomore and up would be addressed as Senpai. However its become, half jokingly, half not, to refer to crushes. Likely due to crappy romance anime having girls fall for perhaps older male students, or just wanting to put their crush above them, since social rank is very important in Japanese culture.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Saelune said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Saelune said:
Wait. That's not what it means? I'm too afraid to Google it now.
Senpai means senior ranking student, so if you're a freshman, a sophomore and up would be addressed as Senpai. However its become, half jokingly, half not, to refer to crushes. Likely due to crappy romance anime having girls fall for perhaps older male students, or just wanting to put their crush above them, since social rank is very important in Japanese culture.
its more kind of 'mentor' or 'big brother' to kohai's 'student' or 'little brother'.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Next you're going to tell me they're going to add ayyylmao smh tbh fam to the dictionary.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Next you're going to tell me they're going to add ayyylmao smh tbh fam to the dictionary.
Don't give them ideas!
Clearly they already have somebody that's aware of this bullshit so I would say it's not too far off.