Sequels that make you realise how good the previous games in the series are.

ddrmatt

Apr 20, 2009
I was just wondering what games any of you have played that have made you simply realise how good earlier games in the series were.

For me, the example has to be Resident evil 5. It was good, but not up to standard with the much more impressive Resi 4.

What games have you found to be not as good as previous titles?

Shanked_Salt

Jan 26, 2011
Mate surely there are already hundreds of threads on bad sequels that followed good originals.

Some of the worst offenders for me are Carmegeddon 3, Half-Life 2, C&C series ect ect ect ect ect............

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Dead Space 2, in a way. Sure, it was better than the first, but the gameplay wasn't that different, and it made me realise that it didn't need to be, because the gameplay of the first was pretty much dead on to begin with.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Metroid: Other M.
It followed up the truly amazing Prime series. It's like following up Gnarls Barkley with a guy doing armpit farts.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Halo 2 made me really appreciate the first game. The single player campaign was a huge disappointment. Most of the content Bungie had shown in previews was either drastically changed or completely removed.

Moreover, they really dropped the ball with the Arbiter. Here we were presented a golden opportunity to experience the conflict from the Covenant's perspective. I was hoping for levels where the player would be mowing down scores of Marines and perhaps even a Spartan or two. This role reversal would have been very cool to experience. Instead we get some ex-Covenant heretics, lots of Flood and loyalist Covenant at the end. Laaaaaaaaaaaaame.

When Breaking Benjamin started blaring at the end of the level Gravemind, it was perhaps the lowest point in the series for me.

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Oblivion, Halo 3, Halo Reach, any halo game to come, probably Skyrim, maybe DA 2, Battlefront 2, the Prime trilogy (Metroid did its best, but 2d is really the way to go for that series)... to name just a few.