Sequels You Liked to Games You Didn't

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
Have you ever enjoyed a sequel, despite not liking its predecessor? If so, what changes were made between games that improved it for you?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mask of the Betrayer to Neverwinter nights 2. A disappointing game received a stellar expansion pack.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Assassins Creed never really clicked with me, but my dad bought me Assassins Creed II for Christmas one year, and I loved it. Currently forcing myself through the first so I can learn the backstory.

TrollFase

Sep 29, 2012
MajorTomServo said:
Assassins Creed never really clicked with me, but my dad bought me Assassins Creed II for Christmas one year, and I loved it. Currently forcing myself through the first so I can learn the backstory.
This.

I'm not saying I completely hated Assassins Creed, I just didn't get into it as much as I did with the rest of the series. I got pretty far in the game, but due to lack of me being engaged in the story, I just quit playing it. When I got Assassins Creed 2, it was like the switch was on, I absolutely loved it. I've played to the conclusion every available Assassin's Creed post the first one since, and i've thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Vanitas likes Bubbles said:
Borderlands 2. Hated the first game but I loved the second game. That's pretty much it really.
Me too :)

Well, I didn't hate the original as much as I got horribly sick of it about 2/3 of the way through.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Played a bit of my housemate's copy of Borderlands 2 and enjoyed it despite thoroughly disliking the first one.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
KotOR 2.
The first one was a pretty awful game, but the second one atleast had a good story,

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Little Big Adventure 2... the first I just don't get the charm... Although I did play number 2 first...

I prefer the full 3d to the oblique... so much better! And the mechanics are more fun...

And come on... the jail thing? Seriously? Everytime you do anything wrong you essentially have to start the game again...! :(

The second has a better story too! Saving the world... Going to an alian planet and the moon! Brilliant stuff!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Human Revolution was pretty ballin', even though I think Deux Ex the original has suffered greatly in the aging process and plays like shite.
Torchlight 2 is also a lot better than the first. Still not gonna play it over Borderlands 2 though.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Persona 2(IS),I hated Persona 1 Portable's battle system and first person dungeon crawling so I was pretty happy when they dropped the rigid battle system and used 3rd person dungeons. Plus they cleaned up the conversation system.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Mask of the Betrayer to Neverwinter nights 2. A disappointing game received a stellar expansion pack.
I agree, and Hordes of the Underdark was way better than the vanilla NWN Campaign.

My Games: Streets of Rage 2, Shadowgrounds Survivor.

There are a few other games that I just can't think of off the top of my head.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Imbechile said:
KotOR 2.
The first one was a pretty awful game, but the second one atleast had a good story,
*choke*

That's a first. It's usually the other way around.

OT: There's Assassins Creed 2, it seemed to flow a lot better than the first one and they cut out quite a few of the annoying mechanics.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Witcher 2, the first one was a bit bland, and I wasn't a fan of the gameplay(to put it nicely), but Witcher 2 improved pretty much everything.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Mass Effect. I hated the first game, loved the second game (haven't played the third game). Namely, I didn't like how the levels were offered in the first game. I think I picked the level with the Matriarch boss battle in it first, and got my ass handed to me again and again and again. I practically had to exploit glitches to get past it. I also felt like I never fleshed out any meaningful relationship with the crewmates. They were just there. I hardly ever touched planet exploration, and when I did, it seemed annoying and pointless. Leveling seemed daunting and impossible and my character never got particularly well powered by the end.

In Mass Effect 2, each crewmate had their own individual mission and achievement. One had to put effort in to get them to "like" you so they'd survive the last mission. Playing as renegade made it a lot more fun, too, since I had tried to be paragon in the first and it was boring. Mining planets for resources sort of had a point, and unlike the rest of the internet, I enjoyed it. I liked the story more, the graphics more, and the settings more. I picked a class I liked and by the end of the game, my character could do some cool shit. Yahtzee described it as a "gelatinous cube of gameplay" and I think that's what I liked about it.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Vanitas likes Bubbles said:
Borderlands 2. Hated the first game but I loved the second game. That's pretty much it really.
Is it good? Because I'm not a fan of Borderlands 1, I find the shooting mechanics quite drab (which in a game like Borderlands, you might as well say you hate everything about it), so I'm curious to know, how Borderlands 2 stacks up against its predecessor. Like, is it different enough to like, yet still remaining in the same mood and overall theme?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
I had a lot more fun with Fallout 3 and New Vegas than I did with the first 2 games.

And though most people dont think about it, Grand Theft Auto 3.