Sequels You Liked to Games You Didn't

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
"I'm stiiilllllll in a DREAAAMMMM, SNAKE EAAATERRRRRR!"

Seriously, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (or Subsistence which I played) completely changed my opinion about that franchise. That and the phenomenal Peace Walker just clicked with a much more interesting setting and plot than I had seen before in the series. Glad to see Ground Zeroes is still about Big Boss.

After that, I was finally able to play The Twin Snakes and Sons of Liberty without getting too frustrated and instead more intrigued by the plots. Snake's quip about Infinite Ammo being a favorite moment.

Driekan

Sep 6, 2012
Won't say I disliked the original... Rather that I liked the sequel far in excess. List goes...

Street Fighter 2 to Street Fighter (I'm shocked no one threw this one in yet)

Neverwinter Nights 2 to Neverwinter Nights

Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect

Ultima 4 to 1-3

Mirror's Edge 2 to --- Oh, wait... I only dreamt that. Damn.

Driekan

Sep 6, 2012
Kaulen Fuhs said:
In response to all the people saying Mass Effect 2>Mass Effect 1, I'd respond with Mass Effect 3>Mass Efect 2

Hell, that's my answer in general. Mass Effect 2 is shit in a can. Mass Effect 3 took all that was horrible about that game and improved it.
I wouldn't say any game in that series is "shit in a can".

I think the deviation in ME2 to 1 was bigger than from 2 to 3, especially in a gameplay and character development department... Hence why most people bring it up more.

There's the ending thing, but I think that has mostly blown over by now and people have gone back to being borderline rational.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
I desperately tried to like Dragon Age: Origins, but I just couldn't

I did, however, LOVE DA2; but, to this day, I cannot explain why

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Devil May Cry 3, the first two are okay but the third is one of my all time favorite games.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I cannot think of any. If I do not like a game I do not play the sequel. Unless you cound Final Fantasy. But each game has a different setting (most of the time) so I don't count it.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
And though most people dont think about it, Grand Theft Auto 3.
That's because GTA2 was fuckin' amazing ;D

GTA1 isn't that good, though.

PPB

May 25, 2009
Definitely Assassin's Creed 2. The first one was interesting from a technical point of view and for the novelty of the gameplay, but after a while it got incredibly repetitive, the story was simply not interesting and the characters were completely flat. AC2 fixed all of this in my opinion.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Skyrim. I'm sorry, I really tried to give Oblivion a fair shake, and I played a good seven hours of it, but it's SO BORING! SOO, SOOOOO, BORING!!!!!!!!

Well, okay, maybe it's not that boring, but I'm still not sure whether I'll put time into finishing it.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
+ another one on Assassin's Creed. I found the first game to be a massive, boring grind but I loved the second one.

I'm the same way with the Ultima games too. I loved U6/U7, but despite many attempts I've still never gotten through U4/U5 (never even bothered to try the ones earlier than that).

an874

Jul 17, 2009
As for me, I really liked Gears of War 2, as well as 3, but I thought the first one was kinda shit.

scarfacetehstag

Feb 12, 2011
Assasins creed as well

The first was a boring game, one hour of content stuffed into six hours. You literally did the exact same things six times. And your reward? Bad philosophy presented more dullely than a university lecture.

And though it has improved, the future story was really stupid.

Ass creed two improved in almost every way, better characters, better pacing, more stuff to do, and an actually interesting plot. (Even if I know it'll end up ending like LOST or some shit)

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
One more for Borderlands 2. Very glad that friends convinced me to get it despite my dislike of the first one.

ScrabbitRabbit said:
Shadowstar38 said:
And though most people dont think about it, Grand Theft Auto 3.
That's because GTA2 was fuckin' amazing ;D

GTA1 isn't that good, though.
This, the first GTA was fun and revolutionary for the time, but nearly unplayable in a campaign sense and damn ugly. GTA 2 had a weird setting but worked very well.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Crash bandicoot. I hated the original, but 2 got better and 3 freaking rocked on the ps1.

uhddh

Sep 27, 2011
Fallout New Vegas. OK yes, I did start with Fallout 3.

I would say Skyrim>Oblivion, but I played Morrowind and that precedes both of them.

Burnout 3: Takedown was much much better than the two that came before it.

Mass Effect 2&3 tower over ME1.

Not much else though.