Serial Killer Round 58: A Brotherhood Betrayed (Game over! The Traitor is dead!)

Oct 10, 2011
1)[user]Drummodino[/user] of House Yandere.
2)[user]username sucks[/user] of House Sucks. Executed Cycle 2 The Dark Magi]
3)[user]Aerosteam[/user] of House Steam (and fowl mouthed robots).
4)[user]SirDerpy[/user] of House Tsun.
5)[user]Skatologist[/user] of House Skat.
6)[user]MemLCol TBOT[/user] of House Chaucer.
7)[user]FPLOON[/user] of House Haiku. Executed Cycle 1 The Ghost
8)[user]Link_to_Future[/user] of House Redead.
9)[user]Neuromancer[/user] of House Sempai.
10)[user]Elfgore[/user] of House Mourningwood. (A very sexy elf house)
11)[user]Caramel Frappe[/user] of House Frappe
12)[user]NeoAC[/user] of House Beer.
13)[user]kingofkumquats[/user] of House Kumquats.
14)[user]deserteagleeye[/user] of House Tomboy.
15)[user]TizzytheTormentor[/user] of House Tormentor.
16)[user]T0ad 0f Truth[/user] of HOuse MayOr.
17)[user]RaNDM G[/user] of House Troll.
18)[user]Schizzy[/user] of House Zee.
19)[user]sky14kemea[/user] of House Kemea.
20)[user]Dirty Cop James funs[/user] of House Dirtia. Murdered Cycle 1 The Oracle
21)[user]Jak23[/user] of House Finn.[/quote] Murdered Cycle 2 The Healer

Brotherhood of Steel: Mojave Chapter.
Year:2283

Welcome to the Hidden Valley bunker, home of the Broheerhood of Steel Mojave Chapter. Almost two years had passed since the treaty with the NCR was formed, and though relationships have not been perfect by any means, peace has been maintained.

Until now.

Three days ago, one of the Brotherhood's best kept secrets, an orbital weapons system known as ARCHIMEDES II was used on the NCR Camp McCarran. While the NCR did not yet know that this attack was from a member of the Brotherhood of Steel, Elder McNamara recalled all members back to the bunker and initiated a temporary lock-down to find who was responsible. He planned on handing the perpetrator over to the NCR after he was found, but McNamara never got the chance.

The first day of the lockdown, the chief scribe reported that a virus had compromised the security system of the bunker. As he left McNamara's chambers, the automated turrets turned and fired apon him, killing him and proving his report correct.

Not long after, Head Paladin User found Elder McNamara was found dead at his computer, a ripper left in his back. User looked at the computer screen in despair as he realized what the killer's true intentions were. Pressing a few buttons on the console, he sealed himself in the Elder's chamber and set up to broadcast through the bunker's loudspeakers.
"Attention everyone! Head Paladin User speaking!" A voice boomed through the loudspeakers throughout the bunker. "Elder Macaroni- uh, McNamara has been found murdered in his office! There is reason to believe that the perpetrator is either the same person or a partner of the person responsible for the attack on Camp McCarran as well as for the murder of Head Scribe... uhh... [sub][sup]What was his name?[/sup][/sub]... The Head Scribe! As Head Paladin, I shall assume the position as Elder until this situation is contained."

And it must be contained quickly if anyone is to leave alive, as the murderer has sent a message to President Kimball in McNamara's name declaring war and claiming responsibility for the attack on McCarran. I assume that all of you understand the gravity of this situation. If we don't find this murderer- this Traitor, all of the negotiations of the last two years will be put to waste and the NCR will wipe the Mojave Chapter of the Brotherhood off of the map."

Until he is found, the lockdown will remain in effect. I have sealed myself in the Elder's office, and the only override to the lockdown is in this room. I will attempt to contact the NCR, but it may not be possible due to a virus on the computers, likely placed by the traitor's accomplice, a Hacker of some sort. [sub][sub][sup]That is how computers work, right?[/sup][/sub][/sub]"

Luckily, our Head Knight is still alive, and I have reassigned the roles of Head Scribe and Head Paladin to help catch the traitor. Now hurry, all of you! Time is of the essence! Find and kill this traitor before the NCR army reaches the bunker!"

Similar to the party game of Murderer or Mafia, the objective is to find the killer and execute him or her to prevent them from continuing their murderous rampage. The game ends either when the killer is executed, or he has killed off everyone else.

Part 1 - Determining the Killer:
The murderer among you is determined through random chance. Each participant will PM me a number between 1 and 100, inclusive.
Whoever gets the closest number to one I have picked beforehand becomes the killer. In the event of a tie, a random number generator or a coin will be used at my discretion. No player may ask the GM to give them a role, either through PM or publicly. Doing so multiple times may lead to being uninvited from the game.

Every cycle, the killer chooses one person whom they wish to have killed. Because this is primarily a role playing forum, the recently deceased is required to detail and post their death. Deaths are to be contained to one post and should be put in a spoiler. This is done in the style of traditional role playing, although how you choose to die is completely up to you. Just make it clear that you are murdered.

Part 2 - Execution:
After a murder victim has been announced, and their death posted, everyone still standing must cast a vote as to who they believe to be the killer.

IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ!
The game's voting has a strictly enforced time limit. All participants have TWO DAYS at absolute most to cast their votes. Anyone who has not voted by that time will have their vote randomly determined. If I do not reach 80% participation in the vote, the killer will be spared, and one of the non-voting people will be killed off instead.
When the votes are tallied, I will PM the person with the highest number of votes, and they write and post their manner of execution. Again, make it clear that you have been executed, and have stayed dead. (No undead dogs)

Part 3 - Rinse and Repeat:
Once the execution has taken place, the killer is free to strike again in the next cycle. The process repeats until one of the two victory conditions detailed above has been completed.

The process of one murder and one execution is henceforth known as a 'cycle'.

When the Killer chooses their victim, they PM the name of his intended victim to the GM, who will then relay that message to the victim. Deceased players (murdered or executed) have 48 hours to post their death or recruit someone else to write it in the case of bad Internet, a family emergency or another legitimate reason.

Should a victim, be it murder or execution, choose to refuse to post a death, or post a ridiculous or asinine one, they may not be invited back to future rounds.

This section lists all of the killers that have won their round of Serial Killer, and what round they won. Remember, they killed you all once.

1) [user]sky14kemea[/user] Round 3
2) [user]NeoAC[/user] Round 21
3) [user]Link_to_Future[/user] Round 39
4) [user]Nouw[/user] Round 51
5) [user]T0ad 0f Truth[/user] Round 55
6) [user]Lizmichi[/user] Round 56

There are eight roles in this game of Serial Killer:
The Traitor, the Head Knight, the Head Scribe, the Head Paladin, the The Entwined, the Priest, the Hacker, and the Ghost.

Traitor:
The Traitor is the primary focus of the game. This citizen's number is the closest to my choice of number. The Traitor sends me who they wish to kill at the beginning of each cycle. He, or she is allowed to vote in the executions, they can be 'saved' by the Head Knight, and they can die in an execution if they are chosen by vote. Eliminating the Traitor, by execution, or the use of the Head Paladin, ends the round.

The Head Knight:
The Head Knight has the power to save players from the Traitor. The Head Knight gets a certain number of saves depending on the number of players still alive.
- At 25 players or more, the Head Knight may save five people.
- 20-24 people gives the Head Knight four saves.
- 15-19 players: three saves.
- 10-14 players remaining grants two attempts.
- With less than ten players, the Head Knight can only save one of them.

The Head Knight chooses who they wish to save by PMing the appropriate usernames to the GM. The Head Knight cannot save the same person twice, or more in a row, regardless of how many saves they have.

If the Head Knight saves the Traitor's target, then they live to vote another day. The Traitor, however, is free to pick a new victim, regardless of whether they are on the Head Knight's list. The Head Knight cannot save themselves from a shot in the dark, however...

The player with the number furthest away from my own becomes the Head Knight.

The Head Scribe:
The Head Scribe is gifted with the ability to use computers and stuff, and is allowed to ask the GM up to three "yes or no" questions throughout the course of the game in the attempt to determine the Traitor's identity. I will answer them to the best of my ability. The Head Scribe can only use one question at a time, though, and can only ask the questions every other cycle; for example: if the Head Scribe were to ask a question in the first cycle they are not allowed to ask another question in the second. This allows the Traitor to have a good number of victims under their belt.

The Head Scribe is also limited to one question in regards to the Traitor's username as it has been deemed too easy to identify their identity by asking questions only about their username. Other things such as avatars, badges, Twitter accounts, et cetera, are fair game.

The Head Scribe is free to distribute the information however they wish; be it in full view of the public, in private, or otherwise until they are murdered, or executed. Upon the GM messaging the Head Scribe that they have been murdered, or executed they can no longer inform any players of the questions asked, and their answers, or who they have narrowed the possible suspects down to. This is extended to revealing the gathered information in the Head Scribe's death-post. That's just cheating. If the Head Scribe divulges any information in death, ether true, untrue, or to confirm will result in the Traitor getting two free kills, and each time there after will have as escalated punishment.

Whoever picks the number second-closest to my own becomes the Head Scribe.

The Head Paladin:
The Head Paladin has the power to instantly execute one other player without the need for a vote, or intervention on any other player's behalf, or that of the GM. Should the Head Paladin do so both the they, and their target are killed to maintain the balance of the game, and thus allow the Traitor to continue should they not be executed. All the other roles save for the Hacker and the Traitor are immune to the Head Paladin. Should the Head Paladin pick one of the immune roles for their target they will lose their powers for the rest of the games regardless.

The Head Paladin may perform their execution at any time of their choosing. They should, however, notify the GM when they execute someone; if this doesn't happen then the GM, and by extension the other players, is out of the loop in regards to the Head Paladin's execution. In order to maintain fairness to the Traitor the Head Paladin has restrictions on the use of their power. The Head Paladin can use their power up until the point where the Head Scribe has asked their third question to the GM. The Head Paladin will have 5 rounds to decide their kill, or less if the Head Scribe acts faster than the Head Paladin.

The role of Head Paladin is given to the player who guessed the number second farthest away from the GM's number.

The Entwined:
Notice: The Entwined is only in play with an odd number of players.

The two Entwined are linked by a special invisible bond... and the strength of their connection is only known when one of the two dies. When one of the Entwined dies, the other commits suicide. This role goes to the first players that choose identical numbers, or failing that, the first players that choose consecutive numbers. Neither of the Entwined can have a second role.

If there are no consecutive or identical guesses, those who guess the two numbers that are closest together become the Entwined. The two Entwined are aware of each others existence, though no-one else is.

The Priest:
The Priest's role is an interesting one. They have the power to sacrifice themselves to resurrect someone who died in a previous cycle. When someone is resurrected everyone in the round becomes aware of any role that the resurrected player may have.

A resurrected Head Paladin cannot use their ability if they have already used it; in short, it dies with them. If they have not used their power, however, and the conditions for its use are still acceptable (i.e. within the first five cycles of the game, the Head Scribe has not asked all three of their questions) then they are free to execute a target.

The role of the Priest is given to whoever guessed the closest to the inverse of the original number, because I'm not doing extra math.

The Hacker:
The Hacker is the only other player who wants the Traitor to succeed. Essentially they work for the Traitor as an anti-role role.

The Hacker may ask the GM whether, or not any one individual has a role (yes or no question, and no specifics). The question can be asked every round (5 times total), and if the Hacker is killed then any information gained from the GM cannot be shared publicly, or privately if it hasn't been shared already. Sharing information in the death post is not allowed. Breaking of this rule will result in another role getting two free picks at an execution without the need of a vote. As with the Head Scribe further breaking of this rule will result in escalated punishment.

The Hacker is chosen by the Traitor before all the other roles. If the player accepts the Traitor's offer, then the identity of the Traitor is revealed to them, and any role the Hacker would have received through their choice of number goes to the player with the second closest number fitting the criteria.

Ghost
The Ghost is the only person the Traitor doesn't want to kill, and they are the only player that can vote, and sleuth in death. The Ghost is given their role in death/execution, and will be announced when they die.

Also, once every other cycle the Ghost can posses one person up to a total of 5 times per round. During the possession the Ghost will learn if the possessed has a role, and what that role is. The Ghost can share the information as they see fit. Due to the Ghost role being handed out after death they are immune to the Hacker's questions.

The Ghost is given to the person that is closest to the "Ghost Number." (GM number minus 50 is the Ghost Number.
[hr]

Important: Please join the Serial Killer usergroup and turn chat notifications on.

Current Participants:
Thank you to Aerosteam for this scoreboard thing!

1.) Paladin Frappe (Caramel Frappe) Executed Cycle 1
2.) Aeroscribe (Aerosteam) The Traitor Executed Cycle 4
3.) Scribe Desert (deserteagleeye) orange Kamakaze Victim Cycle 3
4.) "Mighty" Knight Elfy (Elfgore)
5.) Paladin Drumm (Drummodino) Ghost Murdered Cycle 4
6.) Apprentice Kumquats (kingofkumquats) Priest Executed Cycle 3
7.) Neo, Captain of the Avalanche (NeoAC) Murdered Cycle 3
8.) Initiate RaNDM (RaNDM G) Executed Cycle 2
9.) Knight Kemea (sky14kemea)
10.) Initiate Penguin (War Penguin)
11.) Scribe Scat (Skatologist)
12.) Paladin Jak (Jak23) Entwined Fated Death Cycle 3
13.) Senior Scribe Senpai (Neuromancer) Head Knight
14.) Scribe Link (Link_to_Future) Murdered cycle 2
15.) Senior Knight Tizzy (TizzyTheTormentor)
16.) Initiate Malbourne (Malbourne) Head Paladin Kamakze Cycle 3
17.) Scribe Michi (Lizmichi) Murdered cycle 1
18.) Initiate Schizzy (Schizzy)
19.) Knight Chaucer (MemLCol TBOT) Head Scribe]
20.) Haiku Scribe FPLOON (FPLOON)
21.) Scribe Truth (T0ad of Truth) The Hacker
And so the traitor's plans of power were ended. But the Brotherhood remained in danger. With the NCR forces closing in on the Hidden Valley bunker, Elder User opened the door to the Elder's chambers and called for a meeting. Head Scribe Chaucer was given the job of restoring the brotherhood's files for proof that Aeroscribe acted alone, and of the Brotherhood's actions to catch him. However, the hacker, T0ad impeded these efforts for a time, but he was caught within a day and given the same punishment as the traitor. The delay still allowed the NCR to reach the bunker before negotiations could be made with the NCR.

As the NCR prepared to break through the bunker's door, the Elder ordered Head Knight Senpai and all remaining Paladins and Knights to hold back the soldiers while a connection was established with President Kimball. They held off the soldiers, but without the Head Paladin to lead, there were many casualties on both sides. The connection finally went through, and soon the NCR fell back as the order to cease fire was given.

The NCR had never been known for being lenient, but President Kimball showed some degree of mercy, at least compared to destroying all of the brotherhood then and there. The Brotherhood was forced to move East, out of the NCR territory.

Without any place to call home, the future of the Mojave Chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel was unknown. But for now, the Brotherhood still stands.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Lovely setting, User. Need to think of a persona for this one.

Oct 10, 2011
@Elfgore: You have the ranks of Initiate, Apprentice, Knight, Paladin, and Scribe to choose from, as well as specific roles. Have at it!

In fact, everyone tell me which of those ranks you wish to be and I will use it for the list of participants!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
YES! This setting is WIN!

EDIT: Slight editing required in the roles.

kingofkumquats

Mar 5, 2012
I'm in. Hopefully I won't spiral back into a lifetime of Fallout addiction because of this. I'll be an apprentice.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Y'know what would be interesting? If someone was the Lawyer twice in a row. Just a thought.

Oct 10, 2011
@Elfgore: @Aerosteam: @deserteagleeye: @Caramel Frappe: I need your ranks!

@Frappe: Thank you! I'm trying to make up for that disaster I caused the last time I was GM. I'm glad that I have this chance.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
@username blows: I'd like to go by the name of Aeroscribe, please.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I'm in as the Captain of the Avalanche (Avalanche are a Battalion in this universe).

Oct 10, 2011
NeoAC said:
I'm in as the Captain of the Avalanche (Avalanche are a Battalion in this universe).
Are you sure that this Avalanche would have a presence in the Mojave Chapter in 2283? I haven't heard of them, but I'm hardly an expert either.

Anyway, you have your title.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Hope the bunker setting works this time around. Not a Fallout fan, personally.

Oct 10, 2011
@RaNDM: So it's been done before? God donut. I'm not original!

And what's not to like about this? Lasers, plasma, hacked security systems, power armor+EMP, and lots of other stuff to make for unique deaths!

kingofkumquats

Mar 5, 2012
Apprentice Kumquats listened to the message with a vague sense that in the back of his mind, he recognized as nervousness. "So there's a traitor in our midsts. This is certainly bad news," he thought. "Oh, well. I'm sure the paladins will sort this all out." He got up from his work, and walked to his door, ensuring that it was locked. It was. He smiled a bit. With all this traitor business he could focus on his work. He went back to his garden. It was a collection of several large weapons crates full of soil. He had been attempting, with varying degrees of success to grow fruit in them for several years. He was particularly proud of the strawberries, which were coming along nicely. He meticulously watered, each plant, but while doing so the little part of his mind that sometimes acted up thought, "How long has it been since I spoke to anyone? It seems like it's been weeks." He ignored the thought, forcing it out of his mind, as he always did when these kinds of thoughts arose. They always annoyed him. It was better to avoid people. They were always rushing around, so urgent. They never took the time to do anything properly, and they never understood the way his plants did. The plants never questioned him, never called him an idiot, never told him that there was sanity to what he was doing. The plants also gave life, and nourishment, more than his so called "brothers" had ever given him. He finished his watering the sapling that had grown out of the ancient apple seeds he had found a month previously and idly thought about finding a way to make that small part of his brain shut up. There was a sudden knock on his door. Apprentice Kumquats jumped slightly. He walked to the storage place for his watering can. He sat it right where he had been sitting it for the past two years. The knock came again. He ignored it, and began picking strawberries off of his prized plant. As the knocking continued, his mind drifted, and he wondered who that could be. Who had finally seen that he wasn't wasting time with dirt and long dormant seeds after all, and had created a wonderful garden of life in the long dead desert. They had obviously come to take the fruits of his labors. Apprentice Kumquats was sure of this. Now that he had found the secret to growing these beautiful friends, the Brotherhood was going to take them away. He couldn't let that happen. Besides why should they get to taste the sweet labors of love, when they had put neither labor nor love into them. No. All they had given the plants was ridicule and abuse. Apprentice Kumquats determinedly ignored the knocking, which had turned to pounding and shouting.
"Apprentice Kumquat, I know you're in there! Open this door now! We need everyone working to determine who the traitor is!"
Apprentice Kumquat sighed. "No," He said in a thin shaky voice that he rarely used. "I'm fine in here with my plants thank you."
There was a pause, then the voice on the other side of the door said, "You do realize that we are on lockdown, right? Until we catch the traitor you won't be able to go on another of your little seed-hunting trips."
Apprentice Kumquat thought about this for a long time. After he had picked the last strawberry from the plant he sighed. "Damn it," He muttered, and stood up. He opened his door and looked into the face of a knight he didn't recognize. "Fine," He spat, "But you aren't getting any of my strawberries!"

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
@User: Make it Elfy the Mighty Knight. Yeah, that'll do. I'm the manliest man who ever did man in this game.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Oh yeah... Haven't done this in a while. I'm in.

New Vegas was awesome [small](but nowhere near as good as Fallout 3)[/small].

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Hmpf. All the younglings want to be knights in some post-apocalyptic fairy tale. So be it! Know this, young ones: Knowledge is Power! And none have as much knowledge as the Scribes!

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Oh, Fallout? I actually need to play more New Vegas. Me and Yes Man have got business to handle.

Also, scribe. Knowledge is power. And knowledge is my only trademark in death.