Serious Sam 3 Trailer: Here's Fist In Your Eye

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Serious Sam 3 Trailer: Here's Fist In Your Eye

The hot, sexy and incredibly violent Serious Sam 3: BFE teaser is on the loose!

"Grab your nuts and hold on to your butts," Devolver Digital CFO Fork Parker warned on Twitter [http://twitter.com/ForkParker/status/75978295937732608], "the Serious Sam 3: BFE trailer is up!" And he's not kidding, kids. Serious Sam 3 may be an old-school shooter but the technology behind it is all-new and very impressive. Ripping out a giant, leering Gnaar eyeball with your bare hands has never looked better!

[video=3361]

Serious Sam 3: BFE is actually a prequel to the original Serious Sam, detailing Mental's invasion of Earth and the events that led "Serious" Sam Stone to enter the Timelock in order to battle the enemy hordes in ancient Egypt. Not that it really matters much. "The idea is visually and conceptually exactly the same as in 2001: to put bizarre and monstrous alien forces into realistic, bright and open spaces, then let the player engage them while destroying everything in sight," Croteam CEO Roman Ribaric told IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1171651p1.html].

Most of the weapons in the game will be the "lead-spewing boomsticks" that featured in the first two releases but a few new additions have been made, including a sledgehammer and something called a "Sirian Mutilator." The fight will take place across a wide range of environments, including city levels, underground tombs and of course the Egyptian locales, and while level sizes will be roughly the same as those in the earlier games, the biggest level is about twice the size of the largest area in Serious Sam: The First Encounter [http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Sam-First-Encounter-Pc/dp/B00004ZB7P/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1306954074&sr=8-6].

And while the game will be coming out for consoles at some point, the launch platform will be PC, and PC only. "We are a small team and we do all the platforms ourselves. We figured out that handling all those complicated mumbo-jumbos of console development is really just an unreasonable way to add more delay to a game release," Ribaric explained. "So we decided to concentrate on shipping a good game for the PC first, then catch up with the consoles afterwards. Not to say we put consoles completely aside. Xbox 360 versions of Serious Sam 3 are automatically built every day. But the bulk of the work involved with pushing it through the bureaucracy needed to actually ship it might add months to the release date. And the players are waiting..."

Serious Sam 3: BFE comes out this summer. Be ready for it!

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Wow and this probably only took 4 years to make! Definitely needs another 6 to be half as good as that other guy.

I love me some Serious Sam. Best surprise game I picked up for 20 bucks years ago for a LAN party ever.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, this will certainly please fans of old-school run and gun shooters.

I don't consider myself one such, but I may check it out anyway.

Gotta say though, those environments looked awfully brown and grey.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
"no cover, all man"

I see what they did there

also

Zhukov said:
Gotta say though, those environments looked awfully brown and grey.
yeah, that didn't look all that "Serious Sam" to me, like the iron sight thing

but then again, this IS Serious Sam, it will probably take you to space and shit =P

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I love me some Serious Sam, but...what's this? Ironsights? Normal guns?! A lot of brown?! That doesn't sound like the Serious Sam I remember.
bahumat42 said:
ahh finally a big dumb game to care about.
No go away duke nukem, dont want you over here in my good games.
Assuming it will be bad. Let's wait for it's release first shall we?

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
This put me in the mood to play the others because I have fond memories of these games, so I downloaded the steam demo of The First Encounter HD and I am about as useless at playing games on computer as baiting a mousetrap with a cat. I can't even comprehend how to do it, moving with WASD and successfully strafing was just appalling. I need a PSN release of the first two.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
While I certainly enjoy the next Gen make over its received the lack of color is worrying still if its kept everything else that made serious sam so enjoyable (like fighting crap loads of enemies in wide open areas with insanely powerful weapons) then I can still see my self buying this.

Feb 13, 2008
I really enjoyed Serious Sam up until the point where you had 100 skelly-horses attacking you at once. That seemed to tip the balance from fun into exhausting marathon.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Cowabungaa said:
I love me some Serious Sam, but...what's this? Ironsights? Normal guns?! A lot of brown?! That doesn't sound like the Serious Sam I remember.
bahumat42 said:
ahh finally a big dumb game to care about.
No go away duke nukem, dont want you over here in my good games.
Assuming it will be bad. Let's wait for it's release first shall we?
The gameplay may well be good, but the theme is low brow humor. It crass and uninteresting to me. And yes you can quite easily tell the tone this quite early on.

If i was moaning about gameplay you would have a point though.
(for the record im willing to bet that dnf will have the same impact bulletstorm did, which is none at all, people will play it for a bit and probably enjoy it, then forget about it completely.)
Ahhh, but that doesn't make it a bad game, just one that doesn't correspond with your tastes. I for one welcome such a game for once. Oddly Bulletstorm didn't really do it for me, for some reason.

But the Duke is the original over-the-top self-parody shooter, it won't just fade away, it's still the Duke here.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
Screw this, I'm getting Duke Nukem Forever!!!!
I'm getting both.

Seriously this year is a godsend for fans of classic games, such as Deus Ex, and fans of classic run and gun gameplay.

This will be the first time since COD ruined everything that I will actually buy an FPS and not just one, probably 3 or 4. I will be poor but extremely happy.

Still waiting for Timesplitters 4 mind...

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Here's my thing: where are the Dum Dums? You know, the little green guys that are the ICONS OF THE SERIES? It's like taking imps out of Doom, and even THEIR grim-n-gritty reboot kept the little brown bastards in. What gives?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The guns need to kick more punch, and I dont mind the ironsight but I hope that I can still use strafe and jump as my main tactics.

The colors do bother me. The space scene is colorfull but then the rest is mostly grey, not even brown/orange like the first game (its in Egypt so it makes sence to have those colors).