Serious Sam Studio Zings EA's Origin

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Smart move. Saturating the market with digital platforms right now would just confuse customers to the point of just saying, "Frack it, I'm going to Best Buy."
With Steam he can hock DLC and Prepurchase incentives and still make
a shitload of money.
Until Origin goes through its birthing and growing pains, I wouldn't be too eager to hop on that train. Steam was a headache beyond belief until Valve got the kinks out. One wonders how quick EA will be to troubleshoot Origin's bugs.
Strixvaliano said:
Great news. I'm not sure if I could deal with another digital distribution platform no matter what awesome incentives, Steam and GoG are kind of attached to me now and they are mild sauce compared to what Krundle would have done.

Maybe Sam can deliver unto us what the almighty Duke fell absolutely short on. Also, keep up the great press releases, love the humor.
Sam's schtick has always been picking up where Duke failed to show. Now Sammy has a chance to maintain his reputation.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Blind Sight said:
I love Fork Parker, he makes mildly insane developers with a soapbox look good.
Agreed, more game devs should be more like Parker and then we might get some more fun games!

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Any hesitations I had to buying this have been thrown away. Of course, that would assume that I had hesitations about buying it!

Bring on the silly shooters of old!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I downloaded Hot Pursuit from Origin as a trial with the software... frickin loved it. Downloads it as an installer so you then choose where to install it as if you had the disc in the drive. Once its installed you can still use Origin to play it though, single click and you're in.

Aside from that its essentially identical from Steam; friends list, ingame interface, store, etc. The only other main difference I noticed is that its a tad less resource intensive but lacks the same range of games obviously.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Well this is some good news.

All they have to do now is tell GAME to go to hell, when they demand it be pulled from the UK Steam store.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
BFE probably means Bumfuck Egypt. Like the old saying "We're going out to bum-fuck Egypt someplace". It would make sense since that's where he starts off in the first encounter.

JackyG

Jun 26, 2011
This is how you do it. I almost want to preorder it already. Serious sam is great fun.
As far as origin is concerned I welcome it. Always good to see competition.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I think it stands for 'Before First Encounter', seeing as it's Serious Sam FE and Serious Sam SE for 1 and 2 respectively.
I love these guy's sense of humour. I had to install Origin to play the Battlefield Alpha, and it has no appeal whatsoever.

*EDIT*
I'll clarify my feelings on Origin:
It's much 'lighter' than the comparatively clunky Steam, but it has no real use other than having a slightly nicer feel to it; it's tiny library which due to being run by EA (meaning it will only be EA games, because these companies always imagine there is more competition in sales than there is and would never stock another one's games) causes it to always have a small library. It won't crash and burn, but it's a very niche program and offers nothing new to make it worth buying from it. All it will ever serve to do is inconvenience users of other Digital Distribution software.
If they were to use their status as the distributor of the games to allow them to sell the games at better prices (which they can do, they just don't want to), changed the service to offer something unique, and put in the level of user friendliness GoG has, then I would happily accept it. Unfortunately EA didn't consider that.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Worgen said:
manythings said:
JeanLuc761 said:
manythings said:
I thought peope weren't buying the new Serious Sam because it was shit.
We know hardly anything about it except for a level in Egypt and Serious Sam's trademark balls-to-the-wall action.
It was more of lazy zing to go with theirs.
it went beyond lazy and became stupid

my biggest gripe about the new serious sam is that it doesnt have a effin release date yet
Their's was far lazier than mine. "Hey, that company is doing a thing to make money... FOR GOLDEN HATS! HEY! Topical humour."

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
manythings said:
Worgen said:
manythings said:
JeanLuc761 said:
manythings said:
We know hardly anything about it except for a level in Egypt and Serious Sam's trademark balls-to-the-wall action.

my biggest gripe about the new serious sam is that it doesnt have a effin release date yet
Their's was far lazier than mine. "Hey, that company is doing a thing to make money... FOR GOLDEN HATS! HEY! Topical humour."
it also had the added difference of actually being funny

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Worgen said:
manythings said:
Worgen said:
manythings said:
JeanLuc761 said:
manythings said:

If you really like Family Guy I'm sure it's hilarious. If you like people who have actually attempted things like Satire it's just... such poor observational humour attached to "wacky" imagery.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
manythings said:
Worgen said:
manythings said:
Worgen said:
manythings said:
JeanLuc761 said:
manythings said:

If you really like Family Guy I'm sure it's hilarious. If you like people who have actually attempted things like Satire it's just... such poor observational humour attached to "wacky" imagery.
you do realize your initial statement was much closer to bad humor then anything they or I did, you might want to quit now before you mess up more

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Worgen said:
manythings said:
Worgen said:
manythings said:
Worgen said:
manythings said:
JeanLuc761 said:
manythings said:

you do realize your initial statement was much closer to bad humor then anything they or I did, you might want to quit now before you mess up more
Did that become unclear after I said it was a lazy joke just like theirs? Good work on the recall.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
manythings said:
Worgen said:
manythings said:
Worgen said:
manythings said:
Worgen said:
manythings said:
JeanLuc761 said:
manythings said:

Did that become unclear after I said it was a lazy joke just like theirs? Good work on the recall.
it wasnt a lazy joke, it was just a stupid statement, it woudl be like saying "hur hur hur, halo 7 is such shit" there is no joke, just a stupid statement

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Croteam is the developer. Devolver Digital is the distributor. There were a lot of hands on previews after E3. Very positive. I'm looking forward to this one.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
"I guess consumers could also sign up for EA's Origin service if they're into ten-year-old train simulators," he said. "But you can be sure those sons of bitches will never deliver in-game nachos."
So EA is going to/did put thier entire back catalogue on Origin? Smart move.