Sesame Street Fighter is an Actual Game You Can Play - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sesame Street Fighter is an Actual Game You Can Play - Update

Sesame Street Fighter is, naturally, educational, designed to teach spelling and typing fluency.

Update: Looks like you guys killed the server! [http://flavourmachine.com/sesamefighter/] Sesame Street Fighter is down for the time being, so until it comes back up, please enjoy the screenshots in the gallery below.

Original Story: Sesame Street Fighter is the crossover we have all been waiting for, taking six classic Sesame Street characters from your childhood and planting them over the most appropriate Street Fighter characters. Cookie monster is E. Honda, Grover is Dhalsim, Elmo is M. Bison, Oscar is Blanka, and of course, Bert and Ernie as Ryu and Ken. What's more, the game is, naturally, educational, teaching spelling and typing fluency.

You fight your opponent by quickly typing the words that come on screen, something akin to The Typing of the Dead, or perhaps, more appropriately, The Typing of the Skullgirls [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130770-Typing-of-The-Skullgirls-Debuts-in-Skullgirls-Encore]. Each character has a "spelling level", ranging from Cookie, with the easiest, to Elmo, with the hardest.

[gallery=2092]

The game is pretty damn amazing, and is sure to hit plenty of grown-up Sesame Street and Street Fighter fans right in the nostalgia. Unfortunately, there's no multiplayer mode, so you can only play against computer-controlled bots, but here's hoping we see some updates.

But I should probably just stop talking and tell you where you can play the game. It's here [http://flavourmachine.com/sesamefighter/]. It's a free browser game. Have at it. Bert OP.

Source: The Creator's Project [http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/sesame-street-fighter-is-the-logical-fusion-of-two-childhood-favorites]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Sesame Street Fighter is, naturally, educational, designed to teach spelling and typing fluency.
Bert and Ernie and Ryu and Ken. What's more, the game is, naturally, educational, teching spelling and typing fluency.
You fight your opponent by quickly tying the words that come on screen
Weird that an article about a game that promotes spelling and typing has typos in it. Use combos Steven, COMBOS!

When I first saw this I figured it was unofficial and would be shut down before you can say 'big bird', unless it is unofficial and the TV folks haven't found out yet. I'd like to see a crossover between this and the Street Fighter movie, watching Van Damme kicking Elmo in the face would be worth millions.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Oscar is Blanka
Outrageous! It's obvious that should've been Animal!

Ehem, yeah. Funny idea and a pretty fun game to boot.

I do think it's a pity the game doesn't cut away to Statler and Waldorf mid-fight for a good trashing of your skills. I know they're not from Sesame Street, but c'mon.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Elmo says OF COURSE! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8u7px_GzWQ]
Can't wait for the server to come back up...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Chimpzy said:
Oscar is Blanka
Animal is a Muppet. As far as I can tell, he's never appeared on Sesame Street.
Yes, Animal is a Muppet. And so are Cookie Monster, Bert & Ernie, Elmo, Grover and the majority of all Sesame Street characters, even Big Bird. You're right though, Animal is from The Muppet Show and not Sesame Street.

Still, not changing my mind.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
All male cast?

No love for Zoe, or was her qípáo too "revealing" for Sesame Street?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Do'h. Why u no use more mirrors?
Chimpzy said:
Oscar is Blanka

Ehem, yeah. Funny idea and a pretty fun game to boot.

I do think it's a pity the game doesn't cut away to Statler and Waldorf mid-fight for a good trashing of your skills. I know they're not from Sesame Street, but c'mon.
That's from the next game: Muppets VS Sesame Street Fighter.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm going to play it entirely to help me memorize cities in Russia. THANK YOU GUYS!

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I am currently playing it and can confirm that it is highly addictive, bloody annoying to successfully spell some Russian city while elmo is trying to eat your face and it is a useful procrastination tool.

Also, now i need to unlock Elmo, guessing gotta beat the game with all characters. What a shame....

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
I'm sorry, but Elmo is not a character from my childhood.

*wheels bathchair offstage*

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Sigh. Cannot beat it with Cookie. That is supposedly the easiest, but his damage is gimped as hell. Can beat with all others.... just not cookie.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
WWmelb said:
Sigh. Cannot beat it with Cookie. That is supposedly the easiest, but his damage is gimped as hell. Can beat with all others.... just not cookie.
Yeah, I can't start typing the next word fast enough to not get stunlocked by the others' combo. Was a piece of cake with bert, ernie, and oscar, but I can't beat it with grover or cookie. Could only get to bert with grover.

Fun stuff though.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Quazimofo said:
WWmelb said:
Yeah, I can't start typing the next word fast enough to not get stunlocked by the others' combo. Was a piece of cake with bert, ernie, and oscar, but I can't beat it with grover or cookie. Could only get to bert with grover.

Fun stuff though.
Glad i'm not the only one, but yes, it was fun and killed a few minutes of my day lol

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Oh wow.

This sounds like something I'd so want to play.

Too bad that, as of reading this, the servers are dead. :/