Sesame Street Pokes Fun at Spider-Man Musical

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sesame Street Pokes Fun at Spider-Man Musical

When puppets start making fun of you, it's time to go home.

The much beleaguered Spider-man musical, Turn Off the Dark, has been the butt of all kinds of jokes, but this satirical Sesame Street skit has to sting an awful lot, coming as it does from an educational kids show filled with adorable puppets.

The skit stars the loveable Grover as "Spider-Monster" and is a sneak preview of the show's 42nd season, which starts in September.

There are all kinds of digs at the Spider-Man musical - my favorite being the crack about it only being the show's 17th opening night - and anyone who has been following the production's progress will no doubt find plenty of things to chuckle at. Kids will likely enjoy it too, although the more satirical elements will probably be a little over their heads, unless they're up to date with the latest Broadway news.

Turn Off the Dark officially opens tonight, although some of its detractors don't think it will last long. It will be interesting to see if the show is still running when the skit airs on TV in the fall. There are undoubtedly plenty of fingers crossed that it will, as investors have sunk tens of millions of dollars into the project.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5811559/even-the-muppets-cant-stand-the-spider+man-musical]

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
[small]All the jokes about Bono being a muppet just came true.[/small]

You've got to give it to the musical cast for sticking with it after everything though.

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
Hungry Donner said:
Dr.Susse said:
You've got to give it to the musical cast for sticking with it after everything though.
Except for the ones that left due to injury of course. ;)
Yeah screw them, giving up after loosing consciousness a mere 6 times, pathetic really.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Ogargd said:
Hungry Donner said:
Dr.Susse said:
Except for the ones that left due to injury of course. ;)
Yeah screw them, giving up after loosing consciousness a mere 6 times, pathetic really.
Seven is the minimum if you want any of my respect.

Cool Welshy

Mar 15, 2011
Does anyone else that this skit can only be improved by the cameo of those two old guys from the muppets? It can work!

Unlike Spidey the musical!

DOHOHOHOHO!

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
You know you've failed when millions of 5 year olds around the world start pointing and laugh at you. Or have your hard work thats cost you blood as well as money mocked by a child who still poos in their own pants as a pass time.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Cool Welshy said:
Does anyone else that this skit can only be improved by the cameo of those two old guys from the muppets? It can work!

Unlike Spidey the musical!

DOHOHOHOHO!
"CAN" work? This is Sesame Street dissing a musical! It just isn't COMPLETE without Waldorf and Statler!

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
You know the actual music in Turn off the Dark is supposed to be really good. People just won't shut-up about the concussion section!

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Opening show needs to have the two grumpy Muppets and Grover in the balcony heckling it the entire time, might let it survive the night provided no one breaks a leg.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
This makes me wonder if Sesame Street was doing this satirical stuff when I watched it as a kid that went over my head.

To Youtube!

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
See kids, this is why the Muppets and Sesame Street will always be awesome. Because that was funny. And its a program made for 3 year olds...GENIUS!

smudgey

May 8, 2008
Funnily enough, that was funnier and more relevant than anything the Simpsons have done in the past ten years.
Just my opinion.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
MrShadowzs said:
I don't think there is a bigger ***** slap then getting made fun of on Sesame Street
Maybe getting made fun of on any Nick Jr. show? You know,the ones that get the education part down,but not the entertaining part.