Settlers of Catan Has Sold Over 18 Million Copies Worldwide

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Settlers of Catan Has Sold Over 18 Million Copies Worldwide

Since its initial release in Germany in 1995, The Settlers of Catan has sold over 18 million copies worldwide. Last year, over 750,000 Catan-related products were sold by its English-language publisher.

The Settlers of Catan, the game some refer to as the Monopoly of our time, has attained unexpected levels of success since it was first published in Germany in 1995. Then known as Die Siedler von Catan, the game has since gone on to sell more than 18 million copies worldwide.

Speaking with the New Yorker, creator Klaus Teuber expressed his surprise at how popular the game has become. "I never expected it would be so successful," he said. Die Siedler von Catan is available in over thirty languages, and last year, its English-language publisher, Mayfair Games, reported selling over 750,000 Catan-related products. CEO of Mayfair Games Pete Fenlon said, "Our volume of sales will be such that, over time, Catan could, in terms of gross revenue, be the biggest game brand in the world."

The Settlers of Catan sold very well in Germany after it was released, but sales flattened after the first few years. In the United States, it grew from a niche crowd of college gamers and eventually spread to Silicon Valley, where it has been played by the likes of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Mozilla CEO John Lilly, and Zynga CEO Mark Pincus. The game has since made appearances on "The Big Bang Theory" and "Park and Recreation."

Source: The New Yorker [http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2014/02/klaus-teuber-the-settlers-of-catan.html]

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
It's one of those games that at first you think will be insanely dull and complicated... and then half the night has gone by and you didn't even notice because everyone insists on playing one more game. "This time I'll start near forests/roll more sixes/go for the sheep port etc".

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
It's one of those games that at first you think will be insanely dull and complicated... and then half the night has gone by and you didn't even notice because everyone insists on playing one more game. "This time I'll start near forests/roll more sixes/go for the sheep port etc".
Personally, I love the social aspect of it. And by social, I mean making fiendish use of diplomacy, deception, and duplicity. Okay, I guess those last two are the same thing, but it makes for nice alliteration.

Stevey M

Technobabbler
Feb 11, 2009
"Anyone wanna trade wood for a sheep?"
"Sure"
*throws 4 of a random resource as the trade*

Love Settlers.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Rhykker said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Personally, I love the social aspect of it. And by social, I mean making fiendish use of diplomacy, deception, and duplicity. Okay, I guess those last two are the same thing, but it makes for nice alliteration.
Haha, me too. The best is when you're sitting on two or three university/church cards and you manipulate everyone into thinking you're too far behind to win.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The Settlers of Catan is such an excellent game because of some great game design decisions:

1. Players can not be be eliminated from the game
2. Every player is involved in the game, even if it's not his turn
3. There is a lot of interaction between players
4. It satisfies the urge to build and create which apparently is in each of us (see success of Minecraft)
5. There are subliminal messages of sex and boobies in the game

I made up one of the above.

It is also one of the few games that has a two player card game "remake" that is even better than the original game. I'm not sure if it has been released in English, but if you like Settlers, trust me, try the card game.