Seven-Minute KH: Birth by Sleep Trailer Features Japanese Mickey

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Seven-Minute KH: Birth by Sleep Trailer Features Japanese Mickey

The strangest part about this Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep trailer may just be hearing characters like Mickey Mouse and Peter Pan speaking Japanese. That's just not right.

So, I played the first two Kingdom Hearts, and I actually enjoyed them quite a bit. The story started getting a bit too convoluted in the second game, but hey, I was still on board, because we got to fight alongside the motherf*ckin' Beast and everything. But... okay, I really get the feeling I missed something, when watching the seven-minute Jump Festa trailer for the upcoming PSP Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.

Apparently there's a war over the Keyblades, and the guy who looks like Zack from Final Fantasy VII is falling into Darkness (like everything is in the Kingdom Hearts games), and his teammates - a girl with blue hair and someone who looks and sounds exactly like KH2's Roxas but who is apparently not Roxas - don't want it to happen. Was this explained in one of the previous games and I just... happened to forget it all? What happened to kicking Jafar's ass in Agrabah, anyway?

Oh, but the Disney characters are still there, which is nice - even if hearing them in Japanese is exceedingly strange (as is seeing Pete dressed and acting like one of those super sentai superheroes a la Kamen Rider or the Power Rangers). I suppose that's just a cultural thing, though - kind of like flipping through the channels and finding The Simpsons dubbed into Spanish, and boggling at what Homer's voice sounds like.

Do you think this is how Japanese people feel when they watch English-dubbed anime? Could be.

At any rate, it's seven minutes of Birth By Sleep, and while all its done for me is make me feel exceedingly confused and like I wasn't paying attention when I played the first two games, I'm sure there's a lot of cool stuff here for people who actually know what's going on. Like young Axel (???) and young Kairi (?????) and ... okay, you know what, I'll leave it to you guys to figure out.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
It doesnt matter what language they speak, when i see and hear a beloved show thats in a diffrent language I get confused and angry. I find it harder to relate to the characters. For example its like if your parents had a completly diffrent voice to what they have now, Its hard to accept.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I'll have to agree. It does not seem right to hear those characters speak in Japanese.
Just like for most animes I watch in Japanese with subs now... well, I said most, so there are always exceptions to that, and I suppose this is one such exception.

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
For young Axel and Kairi (And Zexion and Saix and so on) , that's because it's a prequel. Happens ten years before KH1. The guy falling into Darkness isn't Zack, but the young boy in the coliseum hitting on blue hair girl *is*.

Also the japanese-looking samurai guy is based on FF's creator.

Hearing Disney characters in japanese doesn't bother me, but that's because I grew up watching Disney stuff in french, and now watch it in english, so I'm already language-tolerant

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bobby_C said:
For young Axel and Kairi (And Zexion and Saix and so on) , that's because it's a prequel. Happens ten years before KH1. The guy falling into Darkness isn't Zack, but the young boy in the coliseum hitting on blue hair girl *is*.

Also the japanese-looking samurai guy is based on FF's creator.

Hearing Disney characters in japanese doesn't bother me, but that's because I grew up watching Disney stuff in french, and now watch it in english, so I'm already language-tolerant
Yeah, I figured it was a prequel. But I already mistook the other kid for Roxas, so figured that MAYBE THEY'D BE NEW CHARACTERS TOO that just happened to look like the old ones.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
"Do you have a heart that believes in dreams?"

Aaah, yeah, I left it in my old pants, sorry.

Still, the game looks kind of fun. Too bad it's for the PSP.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wow, it looks like they FINALLY are releasing the game to go with that badass FMV scene that came out over 2 years ago....but on the PSP.

Why? Does Square hate money? Release it on a larger platform for crying out loud. That's like not remaking FF7 for the PS3....they must just hate money and success.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
At any rate, it's seven minutes of Birth By Sleep, and while all its done for me is make me feel exceedingly confused and like I wasn't paying attention when I played the first two games
S'alright, you are meant to be confused, They've used the name Xehanort 3 or 4 times now, they're just building up to a very crazy plot. Imagine how the guys over at KH wiki felt when it was revealed that Ansem wasn't Ansem?

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
I'm suprised they are reusing Simple and Clean. I enjoy it and all, but I would think that they would go for a different feel for a new game.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
As far as the story goes, it's all a pr---
Bobby_C said:
Oh.
That. Accursed ninjas.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
gim73 said:
I'm suprised they are reusing Simple and Clean. I enjoy it and all, but I would think that they would go for a different feel for a new game.

Same theme, different lyrics. Utada Hikaru has like what, 3-4 songs using the Simple and Clean melody....come up with something new woman!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Actually, I find the great majority of the Disney voices to be spot on, with the exception of Young Hercules and Mickey himself. I am actually quite impressed.

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
gim73 said:
The song was the same, but I think the words were different, I don't think I once saw "simple and clean" on the song text but then again I was paying more attention to the character dialogue.

Edit: Ninja'd again!!! I had no idea she had like 4 songs with the same tune...what a skank.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I honestly think my problem with the series is that it feels like Square-Enix has taken this too far already. They are trying to make this like those comic books where Superman goes to Gotham and Batman goes to Metropolis (Or whatever world Superman does live in) or so it seems, but they are over-doing it.

I didn't treat the game with such respect that I wanted to get anymore in depth than that. It was the same problem with Final Fantasy VII: You make more than one addition to the story, it becomes too serious to enjoy and you end up not caring anymore.

I am not a hater of Kingdom Hearts, trust me, I bought Chain of Memories twice (The PS2 port) and was excited up to the point we started including everybody and the kitchen sink's story into it all.

However, I do think I will play this *once* considering
* I don't know how I'm going to find a PSP to play it on and...
* If any part of me has any intrigue toward the series anymore.

But, you never know.

and BTW, King Mickey's Japanese voice isn't anymore different than say, listening to the South Park episode making fun of Mickey Mouse, and I got used to that rather quickly.

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
Well, the very purpose of KH was to establish a japanese disney brand, so obviously they're not gonna drop it, especially since it sells pretty well. To me the real weakness is they only have so many Disney feature films to draw material from, so the recycling's getting stale pretty fast.

As for "simple and clean", it's still the old one, just using verses from the long version that weren't in the first game.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
don't Disney own marvel? i would have thought they thrown in some of the characters, oh well, good news for all you jrpg fans i assume, maybe you don't think it would have improved the game by some marvel characters with a makeover aiding in the tbc.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
JaredXE said:
Wow, it looks like they FINALLY are releasing the game to go with that badass FMV scene that came out over 2 years ago....but on the PSP.

Why? Does Square hate money? Release it on a larger platform for crying out loud. That's like not remaking FF7 for the PS3....they must just hate money and success.
Even better, release it multi-platform. And do the same with 358/2 Days. I have a PS2 so I've followed the series so far, and as a DS owner too I can play 358/2 Days and Chain Of Memories. But now I have to either spend money on a PSP (which I don't want) for a single game, or pirate it. And though I hate game piracy normally, I am seriously considering downloading a PSP emulator and getting this game online*. And I don't want to have to do that. And yes, I know that there will be people saying "just get the PSP and stop complaining", because those same people have said the same thing when I complained that Heavy Rain is a PS3-exclusive. But I don't see why I should have to fork out money for a console that I'll only play a single game on. If other games from that console interested me, don't you think I would have bought that console by now? One game will never be enough to make me buy a completely new console. Unless it turns out to be something like a Firefly MMO or something else that I'd literally kill a person for.

*DISCLAIMER: I am not advocating video game piracy with this post. I realise that in the past mods have banned people for advocating piracy, and that my comment stating that I am considering it myself may be interpreted as advocating piracy. I was serious when stating my intention, but I do so realising fully that piracy is wrong and that I am going against all my previous held convictions and wishes. Therefore, I admit to potentially becoming a hypocrite, but remember, piracy is wrong. Thank you.