Seventh Doctor to Play Bilbo Baggins?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Seventh Doctor to Play Bilbo Baggins?

A source close to Sylvester McCoy suggests that he might be trading in the TARDIS for a hobbit hole.

Frodo Baggins? Bah! He's a latecomer to the story of the One Ring. Let's face it, all he did was carry it across hundreds of miles of hostile terrain and threw it into the heart of a raging volcano. Ok, that's actually quite impressive, but the story of how the ring came to be in the Shire in the first place is also very important, and that's the story Bilbo Baggins. And who better to play such an important character in the upcoming movie adaptation of The Hobbit than a former Time Lord?

Rumors are circulating that Sylvester McCoy, who played the seventh incarnation of the Doctor, has secured "the second biggest lead" in the film, which is assumed to be Bilbo, as McCoy was a close contender for the part during the casting of the Lord of the Rings movies. The rumors - which McCoy's agent would neither confirm nor deny - apparently came from sources close to the actor, and if true would mean that McCoy would star opposite Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis.

It may be some time before we see anyone taking on the role however, as the movie has been dogged by delays and problems, the most recent of which is the departure of Guillermo del Toro from the director's chair, and severe monetary troubles at MGM. It is rumored that Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson is in talks to take over from del Toro, but nothing official has yet been announced.

Source: Screenrush [http://www.screenrush.co.uk/article/fichearticle_gen_carticle=18499309.html]

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Seems like he'd be a pretty good fit.
And who is the "biggest lead"? Gandalf?

Apr 28, 2008
From what I remember of the book, Bilbo was the biggest lead. Or at least the main character.

So if Bilbo is the second biggest in the film, who's the biggest?

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I wanted the original actor that made Bilbo in LOTR to play again, but we'll see how this actor does.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
He'd probably suit Bilbo quite well - quite old as well which should help..

..maybe it means 'second biggest role' in order of height

laryri

May 19, 2008
If I recall correctly he was considered for the role in the first 3 movies as well.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Irridium said:
From what I remember of the book, Bilbo was the biggest lead. Or at least the main character.

So if Bilbo is the second biggest in the film, who's the biggest?
Well if PJ is directing then it's obviously going to be Legolas.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
OMG if this actually happens I will just explode in an eccstatic display of pure euphoria!

Not only was the rumour that Peter Jackson might be directing it something to marvel at, now my favourite Doctor of all time will possibly be starring in it! I absolutely love Sylvester McCoy, I'll think he'll make a really good fit.

I really hope all these rumours are actually true, I can't say how happy this film will make me, if it ever gets made/released that is. In (premature) celebration, here is a picture of the greatest Doctor Who duo ever. (Or at least on par with series 5's Matt Smith/Karen Gillan)

Nossy

Jul 18, 2008
I originally heard from my sources that David Tennant would play the young Bilbo, but this is quite interesting.

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
Aye, Sylvester McCoy was an awesome Doctor, so I'm sure he'd do a damn good job of Bilbo... assuming the damn movie ever actually sees the light of day! :p

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I saw this news and thought "Obviously". I never considered it, but I think it's perfect casting. Whether the movie gets made, on the other hand, is a different issue. SUre it'll be popular, but it will be SOOO expensive. Unlike TV series they don't get any money back until quite a while after its made.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
And I thought for a second the Dalek right next to him was meant! What a shame, the film could be so much shorter if the main character had a death ray.

Anyway, it would be a nice pick, he could even keep the hat.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I thought they would bring back Ian Holm to play Bilbo.

Bilbo wasn't exactly young in the Hobbit, in his fifties, and Ian Holm could still play the part.

Feb 13, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
In (premature) celebration, here is a picture of the greatest Doctor Who duo ever. (Or at least on par with series 5's Matt Smith/Karen Gillan)
Oooh, that's a controversial choice. Up against 4 & Leela, 3 & Jo Grant...

She was the only one to never call him "Doctor" though. And Nitro-9 ftw. :)