Seventh Doctor to Play Bilbo Baggins?

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I have been looking forward to this film for what feels like 10 years at least...

And I'll wait longer, but if thus disappoints me, well, there'll be hell to pay. HELL!!!

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Proverbial Jon said:
In (premature) celebration, here is a picture of the greatest Doctor Who duo ever. (Or at least on par with series 5's Matt Smith/Karen Gillan)
Oooh, that's a controversial choice. Up against 4 & Leela, 3 & Jo Grant...

She was the only one to never call him "Doctor" though. And Nitro-9 ftw. :)

Haha! Is there nothing that couldn't be solved with nitro 9? And the baseball bat imbued with the power of the hand of omega, of course!

I know 4 is everyone's favourite but he's not at the top of my list. My second choice would be 2 and Jamie McCrimmon, however as far as companions go, Leela and Jo Grant were still pretty good and I didn't mind Tegan and Nyssa. Don't even get me started on Peri and Adric!

OT: Ummm, I feel I should contribute something related to this post... Yay Hobbit?

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
If they do wind up making this film, let's hope that they don't muck up the story by talking too much about the ring. If I recall the story correctly, which I may not, the ring doesn't even show up until at least the second act, and then for a while there was no indication it was very special other than turning the wearer invisible.

My point is that even though this is technically a prequel, if they do too much to scream "PREQUEL!" at us, they would be missing the point.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
Bilbo can't be the second biggest role in The Hobbit and if it is, McCoy is too old to play it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The Normish said:
Radeonx said:
Seems like he'd be a pretty good fit.
And who is the "biggest lead"? Gandalf?
Gandalf, Thorin, maybe the Ring itself?
Gandalf was barely involved during the events of The Hobbit. What he did took place largely behind the scenes.

wkrepelin

Apr 28, 2010
Since it is said that Bilbo "hasn't aged a day" due to his possession of the ring I would really prefer to see Ian Holm pick the role back up. I thought he was quite brilliant in the role and a great actor in general.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
In my opinion I would rather see Ian Holm play Bilbo Baggins again. Ian Holm played Bilo Baggins really well and since it did show Ian Holm in the prologue of the first film they should follow allow him to be in The Hobbit.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I'm sorry, but Sylvester McCoy is way too old for this role...

I think he's a pretty damn fine Doctor, and really enjoyed his regeneration episode, but... well...

It's The Hobbit... when Bilbo is considered a young hobbit. I think it's being forgotten that Elijah Wood's Frodo was roughly the same age as Bilbo was when he started having adventures.

Personally, I think Martin Freeman from The Office and Love Actually would be sublime in the role.

And that's the original Office, by the way.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Oh man it's a shame Del Toro isn't directing it, he has created some magical things in his time.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ehh if it doesnt have music by america then it just wont be the same

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Boba Frag said:
I'm sorry, but Sylvester McCoy is way too old for this role...

I think he's a pretty damn fine Doctor, and really enjoyed his regeneration episode, but... well...

It's The Hobbit... when Bilbo is considered a young hobbit. I think it's being forgotten that Elijah Wood's Frodo was roughly the same age as Bilbo was when he started having adventures.

Personally, I think Martin Freeman from The Office and Love Actually would be sublime in the role.

And that's the original Office, by the way.
It's been years since I've read all the books ( I used to be a pretty fervent tolkienist some decade ago) but I'm pretty sure Bilbo was closer to middle age in the Hobbit. I think he was about 50 or so in the Hobbit, and Frodo was in his 30s. Which is pretty young for hobbits, I think they become "adults" when they're 33 or something like that.

I might be wrong though, it's been a while.

Also, hey guys, let's totally have Mr. Shamalamalamalamayan direct this movie! At least that way we'll know for SURE that great source material is going to be raped.

QmunkE

Feb 13, 2008
In the books, Frodo is 33 when Bilbo is 111. But in the books 17 years pass between the Long-Expected Party and Gandalf returning to tell Frodo that he's in possesion of the One Ring - something which was skated over in the film. Bilbo was 50 when he went on his adventure.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Radeonx said:
Probably. Doesn't make sense as Bilbo is the main character.

Oh well, he looks good at least.

Feb 13, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
I know 4 is everyone's favourite but he's not at the top of my list. My second choice would be 2 and Jamie McCrimmon, however as far as companions go, Leela and Jo Grant were still pretty good and I didn't mind Tegan and Nyssa. Don't even get me started on Peri and Adric!

OT: Ummm, I feel I should contribute something related to this post... Yay Hobbit?
Don't you dare talk bad about Perpugilliam Brown! But everyone rags on Adric. ;)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Radeonx said:
In "The Hobbit", assuming they keep to the plot of the book, Bilbo Baggins is the main protagonist of the book.