Sexy "Power Armor", am I 'juvenile' for liking it? (a response to recent Kill La Kill concepts)

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'll keep this short and end my input here, because apparently actual discussion about a semi-important topic is baffling or something. At which point you'd wonder why you'd bother to read and comment on it in the first place.

EDIT: That wasn't aimed at you, by the way. I just realised how ambiguous that was.

Smeatza said:
You say yourself though these are part of a much larger sample, how large? large enough to make this list seem small? And there are some games there where I could argue that the sexualisation is pertinent to the plot or character in question.
This highlights another issue with the subject. It took you 2 hours to put that list together, it took me several hours to evaluate the previous list and a while to explore my own. We've now both provided casual illustrations that reasonably effectively show our views.
This is why I call "majority" claims sensationalist. They are extreme claims with no robust evidence to back them up. There's ample evidence that there's an issue but that's not evidence that this issue afflicts the industry in it's entirety, in a majority of cases or is worse relative to other forms of visual media.
Unfortunately, it isn't that small compared to the original sample. The list I used contained every single release of 2012, which also included the same games multiple times released for different platforms over that year (which happens a lot, apparently), all the IOS/Android games (which I left out for the sake of this discussion), as well as HD remakes, special editions, collections, and Xbox/PS classics released digitally, and also DLC packs. I also wasn't looking to include games that featured no women (which was the majority of the FPS market), as well as games where gender was irrelevant or not indicated (like music games, or flight simulators). So of the total games listed, which was roughly around 150-160, a good 60-70% or so were irrelevant to this discussion. That left a much smaller pool to look at, and by that point I was fed up with it, so I only highlighted the most blatant examples and didn't look at the ones left that I wasn't aware of. Regardless, you're looking at a depressing number there.

But anyway, nice chatting with you. At this point, we'll say it's all subjective in the end.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Voulan said:
I'll keep this short and end my input here, because apparently actual discussion about a semi-important topic is baffling or something. At which point you'd wonder why you'd bother to read and comment on it in the first place.

EDIT: That wasn't aimed at you, by the way. I just realised how ambiguous that was.
Don't worry I got what you meant. People seem to be looking at the walls of text and just assuming that it's a flame war rather than polite discussion.

Voulan said:
Unfortunately, it isn't that small compared to the original sample. The list I used contained every single release of 2012, which also included the same games multiple times released for different platforms over that year (which happens a lot, apparently), all the IOS/Android games (which I left out for the sake of this discussion), as well as HD remakes, special editions, collections, and Xbox/PS classics released digitally, and also DLC packs. I also wasn't looking to include games that featured no women (which was the majority of the FPS market), as well as games where gender was irrelevant or not indicated (like music games, or flight simulators). So of the total games listed, which was roughly around 150-160, a good 60-70% or so were irrelevant to this discussion. That left a much smaller pool to look at, and by that point I was fed up with it, so I only highlighted the most blatant examples and didn't look at the ones left that I wasn't aware of. Regardless, you're looking at a depressing number there.
Interesting, I'll have to take at look at the same pool at some point and see what that shows me.

Voulan said:
But anyway, nice chatting with you. At this point, we'll say it's all subjective in the end.
Nice chatting with you too.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
I don't know about juvenile, but I am certainly tired of it. It's not surprise that many people would like that.

I can't help but think "Wow! Why?". And "Oh Studio Trigger, and you were doing so well with having non-sexualized female characters with Little Witch Academia!". And "I guess Studio Trigger is still Gainax, all right."

Gainax gonna Gainax. Even if they're Studio Trigger.

I don't know how much I'd say "juveline", but it is definitely sort of silly. I like silly, but within reason.
The sexy outfits for the sake of it definitely hurts my immersion, personally.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Toy Master Typhus said:
bobleponge said:
It is 100% juvenile.

However: there's nothing wrong with liking juvenile stuff, as long as you acknowledge that you just like it because it's a hot girl in skimpy clothing, and don't get super defensive when other people are bothered by it.
Except it is wrong to like that stuff. If want the nerd culture to change for the better we have to stop liking that stuff and shame those who do.
This video illustrates my point perfectly except it's talking about Religion.

Simply put your wrong. You're not going to invoke a compliant child by being a bad "pig parent." You might get a child like response but it's going to be a rebellious child. IE you're going to get the response "fuck you" a lot more then anything else. People have to recognize you as an authority before you can shame them to any effect, and well you're not.

You're much better off talking in an adult manner to people. You might not even convince the person at the time but you might in the long run. That's if you have evidence to back up what you say.

To sum up what I mean in a sentence; That attitude at best isn't helping.