Sh*t My Dad Says Becoming a Sitcom

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sh*t My Dad Says Becoming a Sitcom

The popular Twitter feed CBS [http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays].

Sh*t My Dad Says debuted on Twitter in August and has since grown into a genuine sensation, with over 700,000 people following the nuggets of oft-profane wisdom dispensed by Justin Halpern's 73-year-old father. "The baby will talk when he talks, relax," the elder Halpern said in one gem. "It ain't like he knows the cure for cancer and he just ain't spitting it out."

That, apparently, is all CBS needs to make a sitcom. The network has picked up a project based on the feed (which will no doubt be relabeled to Stuff My Dad Says or something similar) being co-written by Halpern and Patrick Schumacker. David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, the creators of Will & Grace [http://www.nbc.com/Will_&_Grace_Finale/], are serving as executive producers and will supervise the writing.

"If I wasn't me, I would kind of hate me," Halpern, who still lives with his dad, told the Wall Street Journal [http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/11/10/s-mydadsays-lands-a-tv-deal/]. "A lot of people are busting their ass, and a lot of people are really talented. And I just got lucky."

It's just what the world needs: A sitcom featuring the zany antics of a gruff-but-lovable father figure, his hip, youthful son and their outrageous friends and neighbors, all based on a Twitter feed. Does anyone else think this is a terrible idea? On the other hand, Will & Grace always struck me as just slightly less funny than that time I got shanked in the joint and it somehow managed to notch up 16 Emmy Awards. So maybe it's just me.

Source: The Live Feed [http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/11/twitters-shit-my-dad-says-gets-tv-deal.html]

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I give it good chances. Old people say very funny things...now if he went into senility it'd be a bit better MAYBE

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
To say this is a silly idea would insinuate that just about any other sitcom these days has a better premises, which I don't think any of them do.

I guess at the end of the day the ratings will tell.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Sounds interesting. This could actually be pretty good.

Aside from that, this reminds me of myself a bit. I've made some of my friends choke due to my random comments. So maybe I do a have a career on my hands.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
While I love "Sh*t My Dad Says" in twitter form, I shudder to think of the sitcom. Granted a lot of the lines SOUND like they already come from one, so I don't know if it'll be that much of a change... as long as there's no laugh track.

THGhost

Mar 18, 2009
Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

PS. Will & Grace got 6 Emmy Awards, not 16. :p

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Considering that ABC did Cavemen (of Geico fame), I'm not surprised that some executive at CBS thought, "Hey, let's Green Light a multimillion $ sitcom on a Twitter feed." Because after all, we haven't got enough brainless crap on TV.

Soon to appear on NBC: Will It Blend? (Tom moves to the Big Apple with his Blendtec Blender and hilarity ensues).

"Ow! My Balls!" cannot be far off.

Feb 13, 2008
Doesn't this seem like a cross between The Simpsons "Angry Dad" and Tourette's Guy?

At least they've not used the words "Zany antics" or "with hilarious consequences". Oh god...they have, haven't they?

General_Qwetch

Oct 26, 2009
Some of the things he said are pure gold, but I'm not really sure if you could pull up a sitcom out of this

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THGhost said:
PS. Will & Grace got 6 Emmy Awards, not 16. :p
Not according to the IMDB, Wiki, Retrojunk and other sites.

But we do agree on the quality of the idea at least.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
Otterpoet said:
Considering that ABC did Cavemen (of Geico fame), I'm not surprised that some executive at CBS thought, "Hey, let's Green Light a multimillion $ sitcom on a Twitter feed." Because after all, we haven't got enough brainless crap on TV.

Soon to appear on NBC: Will It Blend? (Tom moves to the Big Apple with his Blendtec Blender and hilarity ensues).

"Ow! My Balls!" cannot be far off.
Haha I'm still waiting for them to change the name of Fuddruckers to Futtbuckers.....then to Buttruckers, etc... :p

OT: I'm predicting this show will = fail.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
While I think some of the tweets are hilarious I can't be the only one who thinks it's all bullshit. I mean, I don't expect Justin Halpern to reveal that his dad never said any of those things since that would spoil the mass appeal of it but c'mon. No one says stuff like that on a daily basis.

Plus, why would they hire the younger Halpern if it's his dad coming up with all this stuff?

Maybe the guy's just a good writer and now he's gotten his break. Let's see what he can turn it into.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I love that twitter thing, I follow that old man everyday... But I'm not sure how I feel about the sitcom. I guess I'll wait and see