Shadow Complex Scores XBLA Sales Record

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Shadow Complex Scores XBLA Sales Record

Epic and Chair Entertainment's Shadow Complex has set the record for the most downloaded single-player game in Xbox Live Arcade history, Microsoft announced today.

Critics, apparently, aren't the only people who love Shadow Complex. People who play games, you know, for fun also seem to be digging into Epic Games subsidiary Chair Entertainment's modernization of the Metroid/Castlevania formula on Xbox Live Arcade. According to Microsoft, Shadow Complex was download 200,000 times in its first week on sale, making Shadow Complex the most downloaded single-player title in XBLA history.

"We're really flattered by all the great things fans and critics have said about Shadow Complex," Epic's Mike Capps said. "Chair's goal was to make a gorgeous game with tons of action, addictive challenges, and a great sense of exploration - and they knocked it out of the park."

I have to wonder what exactly qualifies a game for such a record. Is Microsoft not counting games that have both single-player and multiplayer components? Oh well, I'm sure this record at least has more validity to it than whatever Jordan Deam would say [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.134475], is certainly deserving of its success, a "skilled revival of a dormant genre, a 2-D world of near limitless detail and, most importantly, one of the best games of the year to date."

It's sure nice to see people agreeing with reviewers - this is a luxury I assure you film critics would like to have in their industry.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Huh.

Seems I'm the only one that didn't like this game. Maybe I'm playing it wrong or something...

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
Huh.

Seems I'm the only one that didn't like this game. Maybe I'm playing it wrong or something...
Did you try playing upside down?

And that's great. I played it at my mate's house, and I had a blast.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
First Arkham Asylum, then Runescape, now Shadow Complex? This whole 'Guiness World Record' thing is really in the 'hip' and 'cool' nowadays isn't it?

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Kinda been wanting to play this, but i havent had a gold subscription for a while now... maybe when i finally get cashflow into my pocket....

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I love it, although Im stuck on it at the moment. I think its glitched an the entrance I came in through has vanished and I need the rockets to get any further on this part of the map...

Plus my blue line is miles away.

May have to start again.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
bjj hero said:
I love it, although Im stuck on it at the moment. I think its glitched an the entrance I came in through has vanished and I need the rockets to get any further on this part of the map...

Plus my blue line is miles away.

May have to start again.
are you talking about an long tunnel where water runs below you and the tunnel is made of two pipes which you have to crouch crawl through?

If so or not, there are areas where the doorway actually closes on you. No way to get back, there is usually an alternative path. Hell I found that I can use the foam shots to climb things, like a ladder.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
I'm guessing it had something to do with Epic advertising it on the matchmaking lobby of Gears of War 2, where hundreds of thousands of people play daily.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
GamerLuck said:
Kinda been wanting to play this, but i havent had a gold subscription for a while now... maybe when i finally get cashflow into my pocket....
You don't need a gold sub for game DLs. Cause the store is open to silver members, so I thought

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I need me some Metroid rip-offs.

Please put a PC release out, this game actually looks good.

BUT I BET THEY DON'T CARE, BECAUSE OF PIRATES HAR DAR AND STEAM. (Wait, what?)

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
I really enjoy this game. It does remind me a lot of Super Metroid, but that's one of my favorite games ever, so that doesn't feel like a bad thing.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's a great (Metroid ripoff) game with a lot of attention to detail and a variety of ways to get around the maps. I really didn't expect this game would be anything special but it's Metroid with some tweaking (literally metroid, down to the double jump, speed boots, armor upgrades tunnel crawling, map system). At least they admitted that it was Metroid inspired, I think it's only fair since I expected Samus to run in at any moment it's so similar.