Shadow of the Colossus Director Wants to Make a Zombie Game

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Shadow of the Colossus Director Wants to Make a Zombie Game

Fumito Ueda thinks it's possible to design zombie games that "express a character in a lyrical way".

He may have worked exclusively with Sony consoles for years, but Fumito Ueda isn't known for his Triple-A sensibilities. As the director of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Ueda is recognized for minimalist games that elicit strong emotional responses, even when you're fighting monsters the size of a skyscraper. Now that Ueda is no longer working for Sony, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129770-The-Last-Guardians-Creator-Is-Terribly-Sorry-For-Keeping-You-Waiting>his work on The Last Guardian notwithstanding, it's natural to wonder what he plans to do next. As it turns out, he'd like to take on a genre that is overwhelmingly familiar to every gamer: Fumito Ueda wants to tell a story about zombies.

"This may be surprising, but one day I'd like to make a game on the theme of zombies," Ueda recently told Edge. "I'd like to try making a low-threshold game for hardware that is based around a touchpad. That's if I can come up with a well-suited idea, of course."

To be clear, Ueda isn't talking about making the next Dead Rising or Black Ops II Zombies. As with Ico and SotC, he's still interested in using monsters to tell meaningful stories of all-too-human characters. "With a zombie motif, in terms of AI and motion technology and the operability of the player character, there are many elements that interest me and that are suited to in-game expression," Ueda continues. "Especially if there is a way to use [zombies] not just as a convenient enemy for the player to shoot at, but in a way that allows me to express a character in a lyrical way. There are always possibilities."

A tender, Ico-like story of the zombie apocalypse seems like an odd juxtaposition at first glance, but you could have said the same thing about monster hunting games before Shadow of the Colossus. Just as Telltale's The Walking Dead broke new ground in the genre, Ueda might be able to offer a fresh perspective, at least once The Last Guardian gets straightened out.

Source: Kill Screen

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
An Ueda made zombie game? Frickin sweet!

Now to wait 30 years or so for it to be released.....

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
At the very least it'll be something diffent.

Zombie games are all pretty 'same-old', not to mention as common as rocks.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I love this guy. His style of storytelling is absolutely superb and I'd definitely be willing to give this game a shot if and when it comes out.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
This is... different. I wouldn't expect him to say something like that. Still, if his previous work is any indication, we can look forward to this.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Lyrical? Does he want to make a zombie karaoke game?

Well, to be fair, we've killed them in every other way, so fuck it. Kill them with the power of singing now. Zombies are the nazis of the 21st century.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
So the guy responsible for the most unique game ever made will be tackling the most generic genre ever milked.

Do it, go on, make us something orgasmic.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
This guy will probably be the only guy who makes a zombie video game in which you actually be scared of the zombies. He has a knack for blending intense moments in seemingly desolate landscapes. I want it now!

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Given his track record, could be amazing, but he lost me immediately at the word zombie. And it can be the deepest, most meaningful thing ever made and I still wouldn't be interested thanks to zombies.