Shadow Of The Colossus: why it is so much praised?

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
It was a fun game. Was it the best I've played? No.

The game has received praise for it's epic bosses, fun story line and good graphics.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
ViaticalTarsier said:
Ok stimulate the mind was a bad choice of words lol. I'm not sure how to word it...... Sure everything stimulates the mind. Games stimulate the mind but they are meant to be entertainment and they have a physical aspect to them, and are meant to be played which is why I don't consider them art.

Art has no use to me and it's useless basically. I took an Art Appreciation class in college and to me it was the dumbest thing I've ever taken. I'm sorry but you can't convince me that looking at a painting and reflecting on the artist work or trying to interpret it is of any use.

Actually I would be kind of curious to what the implications to art which are important beyond simple aesthetics as you said. I can't think of anything besides to look at in a "oooh isn't that pretty" kind of way.
First off, your right, I won't be able to convince you, so I won't.

Secondly, I completely abhor most people's belief that Art requires education (That is complete bullshit). No matter how knowledgeable of the craft you are, it won't change the fact that art is 100% subjective... i.e it can not be thought, only imprinted on a persons mind (basically forcing an opinion).

How art is received is also 100% subjective. Meaning, it's just as likely a huge lavished Mural will generate as much appreciation as a blotch on a page (I personally think art requires effort more than balls, but again, it's subjective and I guess it still stimulates me...).

Anyway, it is very hard to give a specific example as no one piece of art can be identified as a focal point. The impact of art tends to come in generational gaps, but usually so subtle it takes decades before people can even see an impact. Evolutions in architecture and how buildings evolved in size and shape were due just as much to art as it was to understanding physics.

Do you listen to music? Do you watch films? Do you read books? Has any of those had an impact on your outlook on life. Did they affect the way you dress, the people you hang around with or the things you seem to be drawn too?

How about your bedroom, what do you "decorate" it with? What color scheme did you choose or posters do you have? How about the way you configured your room, does it have any significance of what object is placed where, beyond practicality?

Even if you could only answer a fraction of those questions, you will still be admitting to been influenced by some form of art, or something derived from an artistic development.

Now imagine the impact of these subtle nuances on a much larger scale (a country) and over a much longer period of time (a decade to a century). It is inevitable that these things would have an impact on culture (whether it be through adversity or complacency) which ultimately dictates how society evolves and right back down to how you live your life.

Bullyfoot

Nov 4, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
ViaticalTarsier said:
Ok stimulate the mind was a bad choice of words lol. I'm not sure how to word it...... Sure everything stimulates the mind. Games stimulate the mind but they are meant to be entertainment and they have a physical aspect to them, and are meant to be played which is why I don't consider them art.

Art has no use to me and it's useless basically. I took an Art Appreciation class in college and to me it was the dumbest thing I've ever taken. I'm sorry but you can't convince me that looking at a painting and reflecting on the artist work or trying to interpret it is of any use.

Actually I would be kind of curious to what the implications to art which are important beyond simple aesthetics as you said. I can't think of anything besides to look at in a "oooh isn't that pretty" kind of way.
First off, your right, I won't be able to convince you, so I won't.

Secondly, I completely abhor most people's belief that Art requires education (That is complete bullshit). No matter how knowledgeable of the craft you are, it won't change the fact that art is 100% subjective... i.e it can not be thought, only imprinted on a persons mind (basically forcing an opinion).

How art is received is also 100% subjective. Meaning, it's just as likely a huge lavished Mural will generate as much appreciation as a blotch on a page (I personally think art requires effort more than balls, but again, it's subjective and I guess it still stimulates me...).

Anyway, it is very hard to give a specific example as no one piece of art can be identified as a focal point. The impact of art tends to come in generational gaps, but usually so subtle it takes decades before people can even see an impact. Evolutions in architecture and how buildings evolved in size and shape were due just as much to art as it was to understanding physics.

Do you listen to music? Do you watch films? Do you read books? Has any of those had an impact on your outlook on life. Did they affect the way you dress, the people you hang around with or the things you seem to be drawn too?

How about your bedroom, what do you "decorate" it with? What color scheme did you choose or posters do you have? How about the way you configured your room, does it have any significance of what object is placed where, beyond practicality?

Even if you could only answer a fraction of those questions, you will still be admitting to been influenced by some form of art, or something derived from an artistic development.

Now imagine the impact of these subtle nuances on a much larger scale (a country) and over a much longer period of time (a decade to a century). It is inevitable that these things would have an impact on culture (whether it be through adversity or complacency) which ultimately dictates how society evolves and right back down to how you live your life.
well said.

This is why Grand Admiral Thrawn studied the art of cultures he was at war with(Star Wars fiction for the win?).

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
MaxPowers666 said:
Sleekgiant said:
I'm sorry what? I'm not jumping to conclusions, I'm simply making a statement towards his quote, and furthermore why am I getting a lecture on the purpose of video games, thats so far off topic it needs a new thread. This is about Shadow of the Colossus.
You deserve a lecture because instead of actually reading his post you just made a stupid comment and insulted him and another game. Just because somebody doesnt like a certain game (sotc was indeed shit) doesnt mean they are some sort of tard or anything.

The purpose of video games is to entertain, if sotc didnt fill that roll for him that its not a good game and one could conclude that it doesnt deserve all the praise. That is directly related to this thread since hes asking why its praised so much since he didnt like it.

Its quite clear very early on that the actual story was the very last thing the developers thought of and put almost no time into it. Its sole purpose is to tell you to kill those giant collosus. Its not deep or thoughtful, or really anything its just an excuse. I like games with a good story in them that actually makes sense, sotc failed horribly in this aspect. Killing the collossus was entertaining I guess but it wasnt enough to keep me interested in the game. So for me its was a shit game and not worth the praise.
I'm glad you wasted your time writing this little rant. Maybe its time to step away from the keyboard.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Some people like things that you do not like.

Crazy, I know.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Bonecrusherr said:
I sometimes hear praising related with SOTC, and felt guilty by not playing the game. But I feel distant to it.

I want to ask about the reason of all this praisings for the game, and if I played the game wrong, or if there is a tip/method for playing it correctly?
You just don't get it. That's basically it. But that's okay, there are many well praised games that I don't get either (Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock).

The reason why a lot of people love this game is because it provides gameplay unlike any other game out there.

1) When you fight a colossi you are really interacting with it; no QTE's or standing on a platform dodging attacks till it reveals its weakspot. You walk the same ground as they do and you have to figure them out and climb them in order to take them down using only your sword and bow. This creates a sense of "make do with what you have" mentality. You're not a superhero or even a warrior; you're just a guy.

2) Riding your horse feels like riding an actual horse. It doesn't have a gas paddle like in every other game with horse riding, you have to spur it on. This might seem annoying, but once you've got him galloping all you need to do is steer him in the right direction and enjoy the ride.
And in a couple of colossi fights Agro (your horse) plays a vital role: In one fight you have to lure a huge sandworm-like colossi into chasing you. While Agro is riding like the wind to stay ahead of the colossi, you draw your bow and wait for the right moment for the colossi to open its eyes so you can blind it with an arrow which causes it to crash into the surrounding cavewall (it's a big cave).

This way of controlling your horse ultimately forges a bond between you and Agro, because you are co-dependent on eachother within a desolate wasteland.

3) The story reveals itself through gameplay not through cutscenes. There is one cutscene at the beginning that sets the game up and one at the end which concludes the game. Everything in between is really just about bonding with Agro and pondering on the characters, the colossi, the relation they have with eachother and the world they live in. You're given a few hints throughout the game, but no real solid answers which keeps it mysterious which makes it stick in your mind.

4) The setting of Shadow of The Colossus is unlike any game or movie you've ever seen. Everything from the design of the colossi, clothing and architecture to the weird semi-Japanese language the characters speak: It creates an amazingly unique world that's hard to place in any time period or fantasy setting.

If none of this floats your boat then........it's just not for you.

Horadrius

May 14, 2009
It looks like you don't like Shadow of the Colossus because it isn't video-gamy enough, which is the exact reason so many DO love it. Your screen isn't filled with convoluted HUDs, ammo counters, compasses, GPS, money, experience points, and inventory screens. You don't spend every waking moment hack-n-slashing through hordes of little demons, imps, or bugs. Instead, the game places you into an eerie land almost completely devoid of anything with which you can interact. That's the whole point!

From the moment the intro scene starts, with the wind blowing, and your horse carefully crossing an unbelievably high bridge into a decrepit-looking temple, you are struck with an imposing sense of isolation. If your first thoughts are when you get to start slicing and dicing some monsters, you're going to have to wait. The buildup to each fight, especially the first and last, takes some time.

You just have to treat this game differently; you really can't play it with the thought "I am playing this game." A better frame of mind to approach this game with is "Let's see where the story takes me."

ElegantSwordsman

Jun 17, 2008
Not sure about everyone else's motivations but I personally loved it for being so innovative as to do away with all the tedious but pointless fights with 100's of copy-pasted lackeys. Every fight is a meaningful boss fight, many of them feel more like a really well thought out puzzle game. Makes you appreciate what's coming all the more, rather than groaning about the dozens of peons you have to mow through before you can get to something good (a la Dynasty Warriors, which this is pretty much the antithesis of). That plus the ambiance is so zen like that it feels really immersive.

The story is purely secondary for me, though I personally like the minimalist way it was told. I'd much rather have it told through the silent protagonist's actions than some squeaky voice actors hamming up a cheesy script.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
If you couldn't get into it, you couldn't get into it man.

But it literally threw what you were supposed to do in your face, so I'm surprised you were lost unless you weren't in the room when it happened. "Girl's dead, I'll revive her if you kill some monsters for me. The light reflecting off your sword will show you where they are. kthxbai."

That's the opening cutscene in a nutshell. Personally I love the game, but just because you don't doesn't mean I can't.

atomictoast

Aug 7, 2009
While I normally don't resort to calling people names over opinions, I think I'm going to have to do it. You're an idiot.

Actually, disregard that first sentence, it's not over opinions. Quite simply, other than the tedious intro all of the things you listed we're just stupid. All of this was explained in game through those subtitles on the bottom. Assuming you know how to read English you should have been able to figure out this game.

Also, the wall climbing was painful? It was average platforming, that helped you more than most games, you're kidding me right? You also weren't sure the monster would die while a damn health bar was displayed ON SCREEN? You're really being serious right now?

You could have called it pretentious, boring, over-rated, any of these I would have simply said "That's your opinion." and moved on, but you instead realized the game wasn't going to completely hold your hand through it and that you might have to actually PLAY something, and gave up. I'm going to pray this is just some god-like trolling, otherwise I might cry. Really.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
How the hell did you get lost looking for the first boss? Did you not listen to any of the instructions you were given.

In all honesty it just sounds like you're raging because you suck at the game.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Some think it's boring, others think it's atmospheric. There's a fine line between the two. The atmosphere is a huge part of the game, and if you can't execute it properly it can really kill the experience.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
My first play, and I agree with OP:

- Decent cinematic at the beginning, but nothing stunning.
- Get my horse, inverted camera controls that can't be changed. Usually infuriating, but since it's and old game I let it slip.
- Horse is hard to control, but passable.
- Try to leave the temple, can't go forward past the alter.
- Try going up the stairs I came in, horse can't go, so I walk the few minutes to the top.
- Immovable door, go back to the bottom. (I can't remember but I may have tried jumping and dying, but that's just poor decision making)
- Get on horse, search every square inch of temple with bad camera, finally after 15+ minutes of frustration I find the hard to see ramp.
- Fortunately unlike OP I use the sword to know where to go. (was hoping for more open world)
- Climb almost all the way to the top, then fall back to the bottom, reminded why I hate 'realistic' platformers.
- 5 minutes later I see first boss, start shooting bows at different body parts and try climbing legs. No success.
- Die 5+ more times. Get no clue as to what to do by the game.
- Notice grassy leg, try climbing, fail.
- Try 2 more times, fail.
- Go online and get help. Read how to kill boss.
- Knowing what to do, try the boss again.
- Die 5+ more times.
- Give up on a wretched game, were there no other good platformers at the time???

Never has there been a game that I just wanted to snap the disc in half so no one would have to play it again.

Quite possibly the worst game I've ever played.

I reeeeally wanted to like the game just for the atmosphere, I was in the mood to play that kinda game and was willing to spend hours having a relaxing peaceful and sometimes epic experience. And, well, you read what really happened...

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Thanks for your tips guys, there were plenty of good suggestions in the topic.
My last (second) play was at least one year ago, so I may be harsh on the game.
I am an open-minded gamer, so I will play it again till the end at least to comprehend the whole story in the game.
According to your advices, even it is not "%100 my type of game" it is better to consume the art and the story telling of it.