Shadow of the Eternals Studio Cancels Kickstarter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shadow of the Eternals Studio Cancels Kickstarter

Precursor Games has decided to "temporarily" shut down all Shadow of the Eternals crowdfunding efforts.

Just a few weeks after Precursor Games launched its crowdfunding drive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123980-Precursors-Shadow-of-the-Eternals-Opens-Up-Kickstarter], the whole thing has come to a halt. According to an update posted today on Kickstarter, the cancellation is actually good news - and only a temporary thing.

"Since we announced this Kickstarter campaign we have seen more support from our community than we had ever hoped for. Along with this support has come a host of a new exciting opportunities that will make the game better than we envisioned. As a result, we have chosen to temporarily take down the Shadow of the Eternals crowdfunding campaigns on both Kickstarter and our own website on Thursday, June 6," Precursor CEO Paul Caporicci wrote.

"This doesn't mean we are going away -- far from it," he continued. "We'll be re-launching the Kickstarter in just a few short weeks with a reveal of these exciting new developments."

The whole business with Precursor Games, which was founded in the wake of Silicon Knights' downfall, seemed perhaps a little shady [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123901-Silicon-Knights-Still-Breathes-Dyack-Has-Left-The-Building], and this surprise shutdown of all crowdfunding efforts probably isn't going to do much to clear up that perception. But because the Kickstarter campaign is being ended before it concludes, no money will be taken from backers, and Caporicci promised that people who supported the game through Precursor's website will receive full refunds via PayPal. The Precursor forums will be maintained during the "retooling," and fans can apparently still join the Order of the Unseen forums for backers as well, although how that will work with the crowdfunding campaign no longer available isn't clear.

It's an odd situation to say the least, and I think it's reasonable to suggest that perhaps the decision to pull the plug was spurred at least in part by the fact that with just two weeks left, the Kickstarter campaign hadn't even achieved ten percent of its $1.35 million target. That doesn't explain the upbeat "back soon" part of the sale, but I suppose that's easy enough to explain as either runaway optimism or obstinate denial. Or maybe Precursor was able to sign a deal with a publisher? One way or another, we'll find out in a few weeks - even if this is the last we ever hear of it.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals/posts/500534]

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
Pretty sure they were starting to see more interest generated than when they first started the kickstarter and decided to start it again to build up hype

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
This does not bode well.

This time, can they at least keep Denis Dyack locked in a basement or something, away from any message boards, video cameras, or game journalists? He's probably at least half the reason people were wary of funding the game...

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I'm gonna call it: Nintendo Bought the game outright, so they don't even need a Kickstarter anymore. Now Shadow of the Eternals is going to be a WiiU exclusive (No PC or any other console), and it's going to be an actual game instead of just an indie Download game.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
I'm gonna call it: Nintendo Bought the game outright, so they don't even need a Kickstarter anymore. Now Shadow of the Eternals is going to be a WiiU exclusive (No PC or any other console), and it's going to be an actual game instead of just an indie Download game.
I would actually prefer that because, for starters, $1.5 million would definitely not be enough for a triple-A game to satisfy, and secondly, because Nintendo's oversight would curtail some egos and give focus and direction to the project, something the former Silicon Knights team had very little of without Nintendo's aid.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
TBH, I found it really hard to get excited about this game. I mean, I loved Eternal Darkness, but with Dyack's recent career, I'm extremely skeptical of the notion of any project he's working on producing good results.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
I'm gonna call it: Nintendo Bought the game outright, so they don't even need a Kickstarter anymore.
But then if so, why are they relaunching the Kickstarter? Is it somehow possible for them to receive the necessary funding from a publisher but still ask for some extra help via crowdfunding efforts?

Andy Chalk said:
"This doesn't mean we are going away -- far from it," he continued. "We'll be re-launching the Kickstarter in just a few short weeks with a reveal of these exciting new developments."
As for me, I'm not so optimistic. I'm guessing the "new developments" merely refer to things they've either already developed and kept under wraps, or are diverting development resources to specifically for the sake of attracting funding, since they know there's no way the current one will get anywhere near its funding goal with what they've got. Either way, I see it essentially boiling down to a revamp of their Kickstarter presentation out of sheer desperation, at which point they'll just pray the combination of borrowed time and new things to advertise works.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
I doubt any publisher is going to sign a deal with Dyack after he sued Epic while stealing their code.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
No.
No.
I Don't want to insult you or Nintendo, so just please picture all the insults you like [HERE]

I don't really understand why they'd cancel the kickstarter...I hope this doesn't turn into something ...well...a development disaster.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
ClockworkUniverse said:
TBH, I found it really hard to get excited about this game. I mean, I loved Eternal Darkness, but with Dyack's recent career, I'm extremely skeptical of the notion of any project he's working on producing good results.
Okay, let me try to put this as clear as possible and just reiterate something Precursor Games has said over and over and over and over again:

[HEADING=1]Denis Dyack does not run Precursor Games nor does he have any form of control of the company.[/HEADING]

This is the headache I've had to deal with. Saying that Dyack can not be trusted because his track record of Silicon Knights is pretty much proclaiming that Dyack has the inability to be involved in games development at all ever. Not even as the janitor. The guys running the company are: Shawn Jackson (who did Rainbow Six Vegas and Rainbow Six Vegas 2) and Paul Caporicci (Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes). Denis Dyack is the Chief Creative Officer. What this means is he is very much involved in the creative side of things. What this also means is while he can have an input, he does not have any control without Caporicci and Jackson's say. The video where he answered criticisms? That wasn't because Dyack wanted to do it, in fact he hated the idea. It was because Caporicci and Jackson wanted Dyack to do it. That is how little control Dyack has in terms of the company's affairs.

To move from this:

Honestly, I'm not surprised this didn't work out. Not because the game looked off, but rather because of Denis Dyack's reputation (not to say if it's deserved or undeserved). There's also the problem that with Silicon Knight's record in the last few years, I am not surprised a good amount of people are uncertain about pledging to a game that may not be any good. Maybe if Precursor Games made a different game before an Eternal Darkness sequel? Just to prove it can make a good game. If it could, then I think a lot of sceptic people could be convinced this is worth dropping money into? I actually don't mind waiting another few more years if the final product will be worth it (and I'm sure it would be).

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Riobux said:
ClockworkUniverse said:
Okay, let me try to put this as clear as possible and just reiterate something Precursor Games has said over and over and over and over again:

[HEADING=1]Denis Dyack does not run Precursor Games nor does he have any form of control of the company.[/HEADING]

This is the headache I've had to deal with. Saying that Dyack can not be trusted because his track record of Silicon Knights is pretty much proclaiming that Dyack has the inability to be involved in games development at all ever. Not even as the janitor. The guys running the company are: Shawn Jackson (who did Rainbow Six Vegas and Rainbow Six Vegas 2) and Paul Caporicci (Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes). Denis Dyack is the Chief Creative Officer. What this means is he is very much involved in the creative side of things. What this also means is while he can have an input, he does not have any control without Caporicci and Jackson's say. The video where he answered criticisms? That wasn't because Dyack wanted to do it, in fact he hated the idea. It was because Caporicci and Jackson wanted Dyack to do it. That is how little control Dyack has in terms of the company's affairs.
These are still people who actually want to associate with Dyack after the complete disaster that is the last nine years of his career.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
ClockworkUniverse said:
These are still people who actually want to associate with Dyack after the complete disaster that is the last nine years of his career.
From this you can conclude one of three things:
1. The two people running the company are clueless. Although it makes me wonder why they didn't put Dyack into a position of power if they are absolutely clueless. They are masochistic too if the Koitick article is anything go by.
2. Like number 1, except the Koitick article is false. Dyack was actually pleasing to be around, but was too enjoyable and not strict enough to make a good game.
3. They realise that Dyack has potential, but the potential does not lie in management. Rather, considering how much people celebrate the sanity metre, in the creative end of things.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
If the new development is that they have a greedy publisher who wants the people to offset some of the cost and risk, they can fuck right off. If they have a better looking trailer, a stronger pitch, and a plan not to run 2 simultaneous crowdfunding efforts to avoid a reasonable fee, I'll be watching with interest.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Riobux said:
The guys running the company are: Shawn Jackson (who did Rainbow Six Vegas and Rainbow Six Vegas 2) and Paul Caporicci (Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes). Denis Dyack is the Chief Creative Officer. What this means is he is very much involved in the creative side of things. What this also means is while he can have an input, he does not have any control without Caporicci and Jackson's say.
The trouble with your assertion is that prior to founding Precursor, both Caporicci and Jackson worked under Dyack at Silicon Knights - Caporicci as a programmer and assistant director and Jackson as a lead environment artist. Neither of those roles are even close to executive positions, and while it's possible that they simply decided to found their own company in the wake of the Silicon Knights debacle and Dyack went to work for them, it's also quite reasonable to think that the whole thing might be a Putin/Medvedev-style power swap, especially since SK was so thoroughly and expensively demolished by Epic in court. I'm not saying that's the case, but under the circumstances you really can't blame people for entertaining the possibility, and for being wary of anything Dyack is involved with.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Riobux said:
3. They realise that Dyack has potential, but the potential does not lie in management. Rather, considering how much people celebrate the sanity metre, in the creative end of things.
The sanity meter is a direct lift from the Call of Cthulhu tabletop RPG.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The trouble with your assertion is that prior to founding Precursor, both Caporicci and Jackson worked under Dyack at Silicon Knights - Caporicci as a programmer and assistant director and Jackson as a lead environment artist. Neither of those roles are even close to executive positions, and while it's possible that they simply decided to found their own company in the wake of the Silicon Knights debacle and Dyack went to work for them, it's also quite reasonable to think that the whole thing might be a Putin/Medvedev-style power swap, especially since SK was so thoroughly and expensively demolished by Epic in court. I'm not saying that's the case, but under the circumstances you really can't blame people for entertaining the possibility, and for being wary of anything Dyack is involved with.
I'm not familiar of what you mean by Putin/Medvedev swap. The more I think on it, I'll actually need you to define what you mean by the swap before I can respond.

ClockworkUniverse said:
The meter it's self? Yes. The sanity effects though...Not really...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Well it didn't look like the crowd funding was going anywhere. Still, I can't see a second attempt working and after Dyack's recent history it's no wonder it wasn't going anywhere.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Riobux said:
Andy Chalk said:
I'm not familiar of what you mean by Putin/Medvedev swap. The more I think on it, I'll actually need you to define what you mean by the swap before I can respond.

ClockworkUniverse said:
The meter it's self? Yes. The sanity effects though...Not really...

I'll explain the Putin/Medvedev swap.

Putin was president after Boris Yeltsin from 2000-2008.

Medvedev was the Prime Minister of Russia from 2005-2008.

Russia's Constitution states that you can't run for President 3 terms in a row. Putin handed over the Presidency to Medvedev. The following day, the was appointed First Deputy Prime Minister of Russia.

The President of Russia is the Head of State. The Prime Minister is the Head of Government. Due to Putin's lengthy career and reputation as probably Russia's most prolific politician and his commanding demeanor, many found it hard to believe that Putin was commanded by Medvedev during his 4 year presidency. Many news outlets and analysts call Russia a "tandemocracy."

Putin was voted as President for w 3rd non-consecutive term, one that was just increased form a 4 year term to a 6 year term.

Putin has been first or "second" in command for the last 14 years.

Point is, the same parallel can easily be made with the Dyack/Capporicci-Jackson swap.Dyack has always been in charge and always in an executive position. Capporici and Jackson have no executive experience, so guess who their going to go the for advice on those manners?

Andy makes a damn good point here.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Riobux said:
Andy Chalk said:
Point is, the same parallel can easily be made with the Dyack/Capporicci-Jackson swap.Dyack has always been in charge and always in an executive position. Capporici and Jackson have no executive experience, so guess who their going to go the for advice on those manners?

Andy makes a damn good point here.
Thanks for the clarification. Now for my counter point: There already has been indications that they are flying in the face of what Dyack might of recommended. For instance, the Dyack apology video which Dyack specifically mentions that the video wasn't done because he wanted to do it but because Caporicci and Jackson told him to, that Dyack's view on the idea was to not to respond to the criticisms. It is theoretically possible that Dyack is acting as back-seat executive, however it is a criticism absolutely impossible to counter. Although it's not necessary due to the plausibility of it, but because to counter it would require mind-reading technology. It's almost akin to "how do we know Caporicci and Jackson didn't start the company after a magic mushroom experience where they were told by Mormon Jesus that they must make a games company that will be a precursor to the apocalypse to come; hence the name Precursor Games", and only slightly less crazy. It's just as impossible to disprove or prove.