Shadow Warrior 3

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
More footage of Wang!
Still looks cool but those executions look slow. Granted it appears you get a weapon from them but you kinda want them to happen faster since they will just remind people of Doom.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still looks cool but those executions look slow. Granted it appears you get a weapon from them but you kinda want them to happen faster since they will just remind people of Doom.
Hopefully they will speed up the animation when the game is near completion.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I have to say, I'm loving how colorful the game is.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If you had to compare the SW series, I guess specifically SW 2 to another game, for similarity in gameplay, what would it be?

I keep seeing this game and being semi interested, but then it seems like it's just a slasher/shooter with no story, so I get hesitant to drop money on it.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
If you had to compare the SW series, I guess specifically SW 2 to another game, for similarity in gameplay, what would it be?

I keep seeing this game and being semi interested, but then it seems like it's just a slasher/shooter with no story, so I get hesitant to drop money on it.

Well, of the remake trilogy. (disregarding the 1999 one and starting at the 2013)

Shadow Warrior 1 was a throwback single player FPS that also incorporated some melee combat and Bioshock "left hand" powers.
Shadow Warrior 2 had co-op, and weirdly turned into a FPS but also Diablo type loot game going on. So you had missions, fixed guns, but then some odd RPG stats and socketed gems to customize them which were super-RNG stuff. On procedural maps with a post-game as well.

Shadow WArrior 3 is going to back to singleplayer FPS, and seems to have ditched the looter stuff, and taking some cliff notes from modern Doom/Titanfall/Bulletstorm

This seems to be a thing with Devolver and its IPs at this point. Serious Sam had an even weirder thing with one of the recent entries (I think it was like a top down tiwn stick shooter or something).

Continuity between 1 and 2 was also.... tenous at best. Most of the times SW2 referenced SW1, it actually made less sense then if they'd just said "yeah this a reboot". Like anyone who would get what they were referencing would also know what it was nonsensical.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I wanted to really like Shadow Warrior 2 after Totalbiscuit praised it in a WTF is video. But after playing it, i kept getting frustrated with conbat and could never get into it.

I really hope fans enjoy this new one though. It still looks really cool.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wanted to really like Shadow Warrior 2 after Totalbiscuit praised it in a WTF is video. But after playing it, i kept getting frustrated with conbat and could never get into it.

I'm of a similar mindset. I tried to like Shadow Warrior 2, and I just can't get back into it. I'm glad they're going back to the style of the first game more. I really don't know why they tried to hop on board the looter shooter aspect. It just causes pointless grinding and tedious weapon switching. Funny enough, I couldn't enjoy the first game much either. I didn't know what it was. The pacing or I just wasn't into it. I'll just pick up 3 when it comes out.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm of a similar mindset. I tried to like Shadow warrior 2, and I just can't get back into it. I'm glad they're going back to the style of the first game more. I really don't know why they tried to hop on board the looter shooter aspect. It just causes pointless grinding and tedious weapon switching. Funny enough, I couldn't enjoy the first game much either. I didn't know what it was. The pacing or I just wasn't into it. I'll just pick up 3 when it comes out.
I might give it a shot if people say its good. But not at full price. Ill wait for a sale or maybe a free game on the epic store.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Probably the most obtuse thing was that some weapons had flat out miss chance.

Like, ya know, morrowind-era WTFery where you could aim perfectly but the invisible roll says you missed.

There was also a general thing to my recollection where most of the cooler seeming weapons were just actual trash for not immediately noticeable reasons unless you deep dived to look at the mechanics. (I particularly recall the Sith-lightning glove thing being such a case).

Also procedural, so there'd be like, 1-3 designed bits in a mission then the rest was just kind of a weirdly open non-specific map filled with random monsters. Which was very prone to getting lost.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

I had a tough time getting into SW2 as well. Gave up eventually, even though I had friends to play with. Enemies just felt way too bullet spongey and there was a bit too much of the same going through a procedural map with random enemies scattered about the place. I enjoyed the first game a lot more. SW2 just very much like a worse Borderlands.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm disappointed in all of you. I asked a VERY simple question about what kind of game Shadow Warriors 2 was like, and you all failed, FAILED I say!

Not a single one of you said "It's like Blood Dragon had sex with Borderlands 2, and then brought in the main character from Viscera Cleanup Detail to narrate the main character.

I mean WHY?!?!

I went ahead and picked it up 'cause it was on sale, and was like "Oh, ok so that's what this game is."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm disappointed in all of you. I asked a VERY simple question about what kind of game Shadow Warriors 2 was like, and you all failed, FAILED I say!

Not a single one of you said "It's like Blood Dragon had sex with Borderlands 2, and then brought in the main character from Viscera Cleanup Detail to narrate the main character.

I mean WHY?!?!

I went ahead and picked it up 'cause it was on sale, and was like "Oh, ok so that's what this game is."
A lot of us weren't thinking that, because we wish it was that. Except that the gameplay and the loot drops are boring. Plus, we're not psychic. We don't know what goes in your head 24/7. My main point being that Shadow Warriors 2 is a worst version of Borderlands with an Asian theme.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
A lot of us weren't thinking that, because we wish it was that. Except that the gameplay and the loot drops are boring. Plus, we're not psychic. We don't know what goes in your head 24/7. My main point being that Shadow Warriors 2 is a worst version of Borderlands with an Asian theme.

I skipped Shadow Warriors 2 because I heard its kind of a needless slog. I hope they get that figured out in 3. Im kinda burnt out on this borderland genre thats taking over everything. In theory I like looter shooters. I loooove outriders. Borderlands got really repetitive after the first one. I still haven't finished the second one.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I was saying that in jest mostly, because that was my first thought upon loading it up and going to the first map.

Interestingly, the controls for movement, felt a LOT like Ghostrunner. The very quick dash you can do every other second, how if you time it right with a jump you can basically hurl yourself across the map. The total lack of wallrunning was different, but, yeah otherwise it was pretty similar. Ghostrunner's controls are way more on point and tight I'd say.

Yeah the drops are fairly dull, but I'm still enjoying it so far. Lo Wang is...a strange thing. On one hand, I cringe at his 90s inspired stereotype of an asian guy voice, but on the other hand, the voice actor seems to be fully embracing the over the top campiness of it, and having fun with it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I was saying that in jest mostly, because that was my first thought upon loading it up and going to the first map.

Interestingly, the controls for movement, felt a LOT like Ghostrunner. The very quick dash you can do every other second, how if you time it right with a jump you can basically hurl yourself across the map. The total lack of wallrunning was different, but, yeah otherwise it was pretty similar. Ghostrunner's controls are way more on point and tight I'd say.

Yeah the drops are fairly dull, but I'm still enjoying it so far. Lo Wang is...a strange thing. On one hand, I cringe at his 90s inspired stereotype of an asian guy voice, but on the other hand, the voice actor seems to be fully embracing the over the top campiness of it, and having fun with it.
The issues with the drops will start really showing themselves later on. The game itself has a good base and the guns are fun, but the mod drops are dull and elemental resistant/immune enemies start making already bullet spongy enemies that much more annoying.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Lo Wang is...a strange thing. On one hand, I cringe at his 90s inspired stereotype of an asian guy voice, but on the other hand, the voice actor seems to be fully embracing the over the top campiness of it, and having fun with it.
I looked up the actor out of curiosity and he doesn't appear to be asian and ...he's like award winning famous for anime voice acting...like hes got a massive credit list of animes he's voices acted on, like a hundred of them. hell on top of that he's done like 50 games too. Very popular dude. I imagine shadow warrior isn't popular enough for someone to go after him like they Hank Azaria. I can't remember if I found Lo wang particularly offensive, probably because the whole game kinda leaned into it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can't remember if I found Lo wang particularly offensive, probably because the whole game kinda leaned into it.
The original Low Wang crosses into offensive territory. Even by 90 standards, he stuck out like an Asian Minstrel show. You're not going to find many defenders of the original version. The newer version tones it down by a lot. Especially with the stereotyping. Wang ends up becoming a better modern Duke Nukem, then the actual Duke Nukem.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The original Low Wang crosses into offensive territory. Even by 90 standards, he stuck out like an Asian Menstrual show. You're not going to find many defenders of the original version. The newer version tones it down by a lot. Especially with the stereotyping. Wang ends up becoming a better modern Duke Nukem, then the actual Duke Nukem.
when you say "original", are you saying they replaced the dialog in the original game or you mean shadow warrior 2 is less offensive?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The issues with the drops will start really showing themselves later on. The game itself has a good base and the guns are fun, but the mod drops are dull and elemental resistant/immune enemies start making already bullet spongy enemies that much more annoying.
I haven't used any guns, as I find the swords more fun. Plus I got a sword that literally uses ammo to shoot out energy waves as a ranged attack so, that's just fun.

My biggest issue is how you have to either just not use elemental effects at all, or have a rolodex of specialized weapons for each type, and swap out. Which I find really tedious. So far, I've decided my primary weapon is a non elemental, that's all about crit chance and damage, and just fuck elemental, unless it's a big boss beastie that just really needs as much damage as possible. So far it's been working ok, but I've only played for like 10 hours or so at this point.

I looked up the actor out of curiosity and he doesn't appear to be asian and ...he's like award winning famous for anime voice acting...like hes got a massive credit list of animes he's voices acted on, like a hundred of them. hell on top of that he's done like 50 games too. Very popular dude. I imagine shadow warrior isn't popular enough for someone to go after him like they Hank Azaria. I can't remember if I found Lo wang particularly offensive, probably because the whole game kinda leaned into it.

I don't personally find him offensive, but I have zero doubt that many people will, and for valid reasons I feel. I think the part that is most jarring, is that he's very anachronistic to all the other asian people in the cast. The rest of them, clearly coded as asian, speak normally, but then Lo Wang is....well I won't say he's as bad as Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's, but he's pretty close. Also his humor is incredibly juvenile. He seriously says at one point, to a person praising another person's actions "If you like him so much, why don't you marry him?" Which I find strange, given this character apparently KILLED A GOD in the previous game? And yet he's running around with dialogue and the emotional maturity of a 12 year old dudebro in training? *shrugs* It's strange because, sometimes a more normal persona peeks it's head out, but then goes back down into the bowels of his brain. I'm hoping he'll have some growth by the end, given the story, it seems likely. But for all I know that will all be reset by the end, because video game protagonist. I dunno.

It's not a problem for me so much, but it's definitely noticeable. It's sort of a mindlessly amusing hack n slash at this point.

The original Low Wang crosses into offensive territory. Even by 90 standards, he stuck out like an Asian Menstrual show.
You have the most amazing typos man :D I love them.