Shadow Warrior 3

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That reminds me, I should really finish 2. I am still at early mid section of the game. Hopefully, 3 will be more linear based without the looter shooter elements. I mainly play the game for Lo Wang really. The game can still have sprawling levels, but I think they did all they could with the semi-open world level design.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm waiting for the gameplay reveal that comes the 11th before putting forward any excitement for the game. I enjoyed the reboot and 2, but I need to see something about how it will actually play.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm waiting for the gameplay reveal that comes the 11th before putting forward any excitement for the game. I enjoyed the reboot and 2, but I need to see something about how it will actually play.
Same, but t I am still excited. I actually did not like the first reboot game. I don't know what it is, but the pacing just didn't do it for me. Because of this I might go back into playing the second game tonight.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Same, but t I am still excited. I actually did not like the first reboot game. I don't know what it is, but the pacing just didn't do it for me. Because of this I might go back into playing the second game tonight.
I thought it was good, but those damn berserk enemies were just tedious, especially on the highest difficulty, they just took so much effort to put down, pain in the ass. Plus, the game did kinda go on too long.

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Cautious optimism.

While the baseline has always been competent, the kind of massive split between the ddesign of 1 and 2 basically leaves any opinion thoroughly up in the air until they establish what they're doing.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Cautious optimism.
While the baseline has always been competent, the kind of massive split between the ddesign of 1 and 2 basically leaves any opinion thoroughly up in the air until they establish what they're doing.
Pretty much this. I enjoyed both games, for different reasons, but I'm not sure I want them to continue the trends of 2. Too much inventory management for my taste.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've seen several reviews citing this as a major problem.
Also that it the shear amount of buff items you get that really don't change the feel of anything are just annoying.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Pretty much this. I enjoyed both games, for different reasons, but I'm not sure I want them to continue the trends of 2. Too much inventory management for my taste.

My main gripes with two were that some weapons (bows particularly IIRC) had built in miss chances with rolls. So you'd be straight up Morrowinding it trying to actually shoot some dudes, and its not 2001 anymore.

Also yeah, some of the whole gem-slotting stuff felt kind of rushed or unpolished, or unimpactful. Like I enjoy PAth of Exile, the complexity doesn't bother me, but SW2 never really seemed to get the performance to match the hassle from the looty stuff.

Also the one sword was basically the ultimate weapon by miles and miles.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
MAN I GOTTA FINISH 1! Maybe by then 2 is cheap, play it and go for 3.
Love 1 so far but got stuck in a walk in the woods. Gotta get off my lazy butt and do a gamefaq to progress.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I enjoyed 1, am currently going through 2 with friends. I'm honestly not enjoying 2 all that much - gem management is a massive pain in the ass. I'm not that far in but some maps have already been revisited and are kinda just haphazardly populated with blobs of enemies. Enemies also feel very bullet spongey and guns feel very unimpactful - the gameplay feels more like a test of endurance more than one of skill.

Considering I've only started playing 2 now, I probably won't play 3 at launch? I'll sit around, see what people think about it and coordinate with my friends regarding it if it is still a coop multiplayer thing.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I kinda dropped off the wagon, after SW2 was announced to be Borderlands-like shlooter. Here's hoping for 3rd sticking a bit closer to its roots.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's the new gameplay footage. The gameplay looks like a combination of itself and now Doom with executions and glory kills. Stage hazards are a new thing now too. No word so far, if it's back to linear level design or open world looter shooter.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Here's the new gameplay footage. The gameplay looks like a combination of itself and now Doom with executions and glory kills. Stage hazards are a new thing now too. No word so far, if it's back to linear level design or open world looter shooter.
I don't know about those executions. Doom managed to do them where they had a really good quick flow with the gameplay. Those look stiff and time consuming so far. The rest of it looks pretty damn good though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know about those executions. Doom managed to do them where they had a really good quick flow with the gameplay. Those look stiff and time consuming so far. The rest of it looks pretty damn good though.
We'll see how it progresses, but I bet they won't make that mistake. I watched the IGN video, and according to the guy, Flying Hog has gone back to the linear level design based off the 17 minute demo he played. So most likely, the looter shooter elements have been done away with.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
We'll see how it progresses, but I bet they won't make that mistake. I watched the IGN video, and according to the guy, Wild Hog has gone back to the liner level design based off the 17 minute demo he played. So most likely, the looter shooter elements have been done away with/
Yeah I heard they were doing away with that. The loota shoota elements weren't a bad idea but they did them in a pretty bad way. They work in borderlands but they were just confusing for Shadow Warrior 2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

About Shadow Warrior 3

Fallen corporate shogun Lo Wang and his former employer turned nemesis turned sidekick Orochi Zilla embark on an improbable mission to recapture an ancient dragon they unwillingly unleashed from its eternal prison. Armed with a punishing mix of blades and bullets, Lo Wang must traverse uncharted parts of the world to track down the dark beast and push the apocalypse back yet again. All it will take is the mask of a dead god, a dragon’s egg, a touch of magic, and enough firepower to hold off the impending cataclysm.

Key Features

Bring a Katana to a Gunfight – Conduct a symphony of death with each encounter by mixing overwhelming firepower with devastatingly precise katana strikes as you dash in and around the demonic hordes.

Fancy Footwork – Flow between nimble movement techniques including air dashes, wall running, double jumps, and the fancy new grappling hook busts your combat and movement options wide open in every battle.

Execute Then Annihilate – Execute spectacular finishing moves to claim a piece of your conquered foe and unleash its powers back on the horde in a burst of unstoppable fury and powerful magic.

Dynamic Combat Arenas – Each environment is lined with hazardous structures and devices that can be activated to add another layer of creative choice to the offensive strategy.

Neo Feudal Japan – Trek across a mythic Asian land infused with the magic and technology of ancient samurai, now overrun by the demonic yokai from Japanese folklore.

Funny Business – Brace for expertly delivered one-liners from Lo Wang, pointed banter with Zilla, and an intense thrillride of absurd predicaments on the way to turning doomsday into a new day.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ok, thats looking damn awesome, can't wait for it to come out.

Thoughts after I had time to watch the full thing.
Assuming this is actually gamplay and not just bullshot, the lack of ammo/health pickups and such make me wonder unless they are doing away with that entirely, if real the gameplay looks really really solid. The sounds could use more ummph, like the pistol sounds fine, the shotgun sounds a bit weak though, railgun is fine. I hope Lo Wang will learn to shut up though, his talkieness seems like it will get annoying if he does it at the same rate in the vid as in the real game. Enemy deaths seem nice and satisfying, the few executions he does are a little wonky though, like the animation for them, aside from the slinky one, are kinda stiff and slow compared to everything else but I like that you get a weapon to use by doing them. So yeah, still looks pretty awesome.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok, thats looking damn awesome, can't wait for it to come out.

Thoughts after I had time to watch the full thing.
Assuming this is actually gamplay and not just bullshot, the lack of ammo/health pickups and such make me wonder unless they are doing away with that entirely, if real the gameplay looks really really solid. The sounds could use more ummph, like the pistol sounds fine, the shotgun sounds a bit weak though, railgun is fine. I hope Lo Wang will learn to shut up though, his talkieness seems like it will get annoying if he does it at the same rate in the vid as in the real game. Enemy deaths seem nice and satisfying, the few executions he does are a little wonky though, like the animation for them, aside from the slinky one, are kinda stiff and slow compared to everything else but I like that you get a weapon to use by doing them. So yeah, still looks pretty awesome.
I am glad they're back to linear design for this game and ditched the looter shooter elements. I noticed elements of Doom 4/Eternal, Bulletstorm & Wild 9, and Uncharted 4 (rope swinging). I am sure Lo Wang won't talk as much, but he talked plenty in the 2nd game. If weapon or health pick ups are more like Doom's I certainly won't mind.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I am glad they're back to linear design for this game and ditched the looter shooter elements. I noticed elements of Doom 4/Eternal, Bulletstorm & Wild 9, and Uncharted 4 (rope swinging). I am sure Lo Wang won't talk as much, but he talked plenty in the 2nd game. If weapon or health pick ups are more like Doom's I certainly won't mind.
I liked Shadow Warrior 2, but the loota shoota elements were really poorly implemented. It was confusing and boring.