Shadowrun Really Returns Today On Steam

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Shadowrun Really Returns Today On Steam

Harebrained Schemes has managed to overcome the last hurdles, and so this venerable RPG gets the reboot you've been waiting for.

First there was the $1.8 million Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117003-Shadowrun-Returns-Kickstarter-Finishes-Big] - and there was much rejoicing - then there were production delays, which didn't make anyone rejoice even a little. Now the moment has finally arrived, and Hairbrained Schemes can take a few moments to bask in the glory as its Shadowrun Returns finally launches, today, via Steam. Take your street samurai out of the shadows for a while; there's work to be done in the Sprawl.

The editor files are all packed in there, for your modification edification. "Everyone is empowered to create and share their own stories and campaigns with the Steam Workshop community," says the game's Steam page. "I want to take a moment to personally thank you again for all your support over the last year or so," says Jordan Weisman to the game's fans and Kickstarter funders. "It's been so great hearing from you on the forums, meeting you in person at cons, and eating the bagels and pizza you sent us. It's definitely an experience I'll never forget!" There's more to come; a Berlin campaign and Linux compatibility are on the cards, as soon as Harebrained can manage it.

"On behalf of the team, I sincerely hope you enjoy Shadowrun Returns," Weisman concludes. "It's been a labor of love and represents one of the greatest collaborations of my career. Thanks again for the opportunity." At time of writing, if you still want to get in on preorder savings, there's a few hours left before it unlocks; head over to Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/?snr=1_7_15__13] to find out more.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
I'm rather excited!. I'm also glad they have a native OS X client for me to use. Pity I couldn't preload the data on Steam.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Chaosritter said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hear its only 12 hours long and no manual saving through all the complaints on steam. Well that killed the mood considerably.
It isn't even out yet, how do they wanna know it's only 12 hours long?
Reviews, leaks, pirates probably.
Still, this looks good. Not going to get it soon since the Steam Sales just ended but when I cleared out my backlog a bit more and the community has done what a community does I'll pick it up.

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
I'm really excited for this, I pre-ordered it last night while it was still 10% off, now I'm just waiting to be able to start the download.

I'm really looking forward to a month or two from now when the really good user created content distinguishes itself from the rest and we get a really good crop of campaigns to choose from. To me, the included campaign is incidental. I'm all about the editor.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Played Shadowrun on the Sega Genesis.

CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED RPG!!!!!

So glad when I heard this game was coming and being made by the man who made the franchise.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I really like the premise and the mechanics, but the animations are right down there in the uncanny valley. Not weird enough to be attributed to style, not realistic enough to look good.

I might get it during a steam sale somewhere down the line.

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Played Shadowrun on the Sega Genesis.

CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED RPG!!!!!

So glad when I heard this game was coming and being made by the man who made the franchise.
I love the Genesis version of Shadowrun as much as anyone, but damn it's a fuckin' mess in a lot of places.

Still, it deserves praise for attempting the closest thing to a sandbox RPG possible in the 16 bit era. And I still play it every so often, so its problems don't bother me too much.

I'm really looking forward to what the modding community does with Shadowrun Returns. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing a reworking of the Genesis version, at least concept-wise. The included campaign sounds like it's a pretty linear design, and I read somewhere there won't really be opportunities for grinding out low-level runs for karma and nuyen. But given the kinds of things the modding community is capable of, I expect to see some really amazing things in the coming months.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Just bought it, I hope it's good, I bought the Deluxe cause I'm VERY interested in concept artwork and all, though I thought I'd receive those earlier (bought it on Steam), guess that'll also unlock later today only... If I have to go somewhere specific to find the extras, and you guys know where, please let me know ;)

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
OH guys, by the way, there's a cyberpunk game that's just amazing, it's an indie game and I just have to tell you guys to check it out. I heard about it here or at Gamespot, not sure, it's not on Steam for sale, but in the game's own website ( http://www.cabrerabrothers.com/ ) in case anyone's afraid it's a virus, just go to Google and look for the website, type Cypher Cabrera Brothers, you should find the website from there... However it's not a game for everyone, it's a text adventure game like the old ones, you'll read a couple of pages accompanied by some beautiful artwork and then TYPE your action (like Look outside, shoot police, jump ledge, etc)... So, for some people the game will be boring, but to others it'll be pretty cool or at least nostalgic. It also takes a lot from Blade Runner lol

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Catface Meowmers said:
I love the Genesis version of Shadowrun as much as anyone, but damn it's a fuckin' mess in a lot of places.

Still, it deserves praise for attempting the closest thing to a sandbox RPG possible in the 16 bit era. And I still play it every so often, so its problems don't bother me too much.

I'm really looking forward to what the modding community does with Shadowrun Returns. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing a reworking of the Genesis version, at least concept-wise. The included campaign sounds like it's a pretty linear design, and I read somewhere there won't really be opportunities for grinding out low-level runs for karma and nuyen. But given the kinds of things the modding community is capable of, I expect to see some really amazing things in the coming months.
I know someone is trying to remake the SNES Shadowrun using the level editor. It'll be interesting to see how many kinds of campaigns we get from this, though I expect a lot of people to remake their favorite modules from the pen and paper game.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
Re: twelve hours long

Is 12 hours long for a 17 euro game not very reasonable? Usermade content aside, a dollar per hour doesn't sound too bad, right? what kind of metric do people use nowadays?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Saw some gameplay / reviews and it is apparently quite the well crafted RPG, but the lack of a save system and flavor voices does bug me considerably... I'll probably wait for some mods first.